• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have just seen some posts that say something to the affect of, “I hope Eppler drafts a pitcher this year instead of some toolsy outfielder like Adams”.  To me that is kind of discrediting  him.  

That was also me. I was really stoked that several college and HS pitchers fell to us last year when it was our turn to pick, and as I've said earlier in threads, believe that it is cheaper and easier to draft and develop pitching. So, I was rather let down with the selection of him. I liked the Jackson pick, but wanted a pitcher or even Gorman last year,not another OFer. At the time, we had Adell, Jones, Marsh, and others as OFers, so, taking another OFer (one whom I didn't think would be as good as any of those) didn't excite me as much as getting a pitcher or Gorman. This year, again, I'm hoping we get some top-shelf pitching and not another toolsy OFer. 

i haven't soured on Adams, although I think he is more Deveaux (great tools, lots of upside but very raw) than Adell (all of the above plus more advanced approach and polish). I also would like to see the Angels go after a pitcher or catcher, even though many say they will (and should) go after the best available player. WIth Trout, Adell, Marsh, Knowles, Adams, Deveaux and eventually Ramirez, the Angels have all of the high upside outfield talent they can need for the next decade or more. But the farm is still light on high upside arms and there are no significant catching prospects to be found. If neither are available I'd like to see them either go for the best bat possible or a more toolsy infielder. But as much as I love toolsy outfielders, we're all set for awhile.

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

Jeremiah Jackson is looking good in XST.  Still not a big fan of the drifting hands like he had in high school, but the load is unquestionably strong and smooth.  The swing will have to change but you guys can see the strength and athleticism here. 

that's not a pretty swing and it's got a long way to go.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

that's not a pretty swing and it's got a long way to go.  

It's a strong swing with a good load. He generates a ton of bat speed. But I'm with you,  there's some simplification necessary. It might happen over night or it may be a couple year process. I think we have a better understanding as to why he wasn't in A Ball now. Likely not ready, despite strong results. 

7 hours ago, RBM said:

Man, there is so much to dislike about this setup and swing. I have no idea how he is doing and I understand he’s an amazing athlete but he looks like a project to me. 

The swing itself is good. It's his pre-load timing mechanisms and stride that are clear areas of improvement. But I think it's evident in the video that he's making hard contact. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

The swing itself is good. It's his pre-load timing mechanisms and stride that are clear areas of improvement. But I think it's evident in the video that he's making hard contact. 

Agree with this... He's got a lot of noise going on before the swing.

14 hours ago, ettin said:

I like Adams. I think he has a lot of potential and could be a dynamic outfielder.

One of the youngest players in the league too. There’s a lot to like. Just because he hasn’t come out of the gates like Adell or Trout did is reason for anyone to be disappointed.

I’m hoping we see an entirely different skillset develop with Adams anyways. Adell seems like he’s going to have some high power, high strikeouts, decent average, (eventually) average walk rates...if Adams can develop into a something that compliments that - high average, high OBP, tremendous doubles power, excellent defense, excellent base-running - it’d pair better and help us out with future lead-off needs.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

One of the youngest players in the league too. There’s a lot to like. Just because he hasn’t come out of the gates like Adell or Trout did is reason for anyone to be disappointed.

I’m hoping we see an entirely different skillset develop with Adams anyways. Adell seems like he’s going to have some high power, high strikeouts, decent average, (eventually) average walk rates...if Adams can develop into a something that compliments that - high average, high OBP, tremendous doubles power, excellent defense, excellent base-running - it’d pair better and help us out with future lead-off needs.

It's still super early to make a determination, but he doesn't seem like a high avg guy to me.  

Thaiss went deep again tonight.  This team is going to be very interesting post trade deadline.  I imagine we'll see a steady diet of Suarez and maybe even Sandoval in the rotation if he makes the adjustments, and we'll probably see Matt Thaiss, Jared Walsh, Luis Rengifo and David Fletcher in the infield more often than not.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

It's still super early to make a determination, but he doesn't seem like a high avg guy to me.  

Same here. I think if I had to guess, Adams is going to an exciting player in the major leagues someday. He will pull some things off defensively that leave jaws dropped, and will have 20/20 potential. But I picture him being more of the leadoff hitter type that gets on base vs a high average hitter. I see lots of talent, but I don't see him being a superstar the way I see Adell.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Thaiss went deep again tonight.  This team is going to be very interesting post trade deadline.  I imagine we'll see a steady diet of Suarez and maybe even Sandoval in the rotation if he makes the adjustments, and we'll probably see Matt Thaiss, Jared Walsh, Luis Rengifo and David Fletcher in the infield more often than not.

Fletcher isn't in that group anymore - he's graduated from the audtion phase and is a regular. I don't know if he'll hit .314 with a 120 wRC+ all year, but I think he's good for at least .290/110 and is a bonafide 4 WAR player.

Thaiss and Walsh are competing against each other - I don't see how the team has room for both long-term, especially if and when Adell and Marsh reach the majors (probably 2020). 

Rengifo's place on the team depends on two factors: how well he plays vs. how Cozart plays. So far Rengifo has been better but still mediocre. But the transition is happening.

I wouldn't expect to see more than a few starts from Sandoval this year. But Suarez will be up soonish, I'm guessing, and get 10-15 starts in the majors this year.

Yeah, Fletcher is not in that group at all. He’s one of the Angels better players. He’s transformed his outlook from ‘okay bench player probably’ to ‘this guy could be a bonafide above average starter’.

On the other hand, The jury is still out on whether Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh, etc are even major league players

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

there are like five timing mechanisms to that swing.  

He looks like me deciding between dreyers, breyers, or store brand ice cream.

And we both swing for the fence. (He trying to drive a baseball. Me buying all 3 and hoping the stupid clerk doesnt make a comment why im buying 3 different cookies and cream ice creams with my pre prepped salads and fiber pills)

4 hours ago, Scott34 said:

Hell yeah. I imagine he'll be in Mobile within a couple weeks.

Can you imagine killing it at your job, and your boss putting his arm around your shoulder and saying "nice work, big guy! Im promoting you to Mobile, Alabama!"

Then he mentions a great spot that serves bison burgers.. and you act excited because hes your boss.  But you have no clue what the F a bison is. But you know youve never seen a bison taco, burrito, bowl or entree in your life.....and then you think back to that time you ate a turtle in Peru, and how gross it was.

Then you start thinking about telling your boss you have asthma, and cant take the promotion for health reasons.

39 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Can you imagine killing it at your job, and your boss putting his arm around your shoulder and saying "nice work, big guy! Im promoting you to Mobile, Alabama!"

Then he mentions a great spot that serves bison burgers.. and you act excited because hes your boss.  But you have no clue what the F a bison is. But you know youve never seen a bison taco, burrito, bowl or entree in your life.....and then you think back to that time you ate a turtle in Peru, and how gross it was.

Then you start thinking about telling your boss you have asthma, and cant take the promotion for health reasons.

So you tell yourself the alternative is to remain in San Bernadino and that from Mobile it's a short drive to Pensacola where at least there's a dog track and some Navy chicks