• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man, I know Reno is a tough place for pitchers and a hitters paradise, but holy fuck balls.

btw, CJ Cron's brother Kevin is on pace for 60+ HR if he stays healthy this season and avoids a major league promotion. He would shatter the minor league HR record if that happens. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.54.43 PM.png

not to mention those 4 hrs from Tomas.  

And Cron on pace for like 180 rbi.  

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Man, I know Reno is a tough place for pitchers and a hitters paradise, but holy F*ck balls.

btw, CJ Cron's brother Kevin is on pace for 60+ HR if he stays healthy this season and avoids a major league promotion. He would shatter the minor league HR record if that happens. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.54.43 PM.png

Wow.... Tacoma gives up 10 hrs....  Reno zilch.   

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I could see that. Blackmon didn't hit a bunch of HR's in the minors before his promotion. 

There was that .gif that TBW shared last year of a side by side view of Charlie Blackmon's setting and Brandon Marsh's. They looked awfully similar. Same build, same style of play too.

Marsh won't have Coors Field to inflate his numbers, but Charlie Blackmom is what I see as Marsh's eventual ceiling that he could realistically reach. I know it has to be tempting to trade him when you have Trout locked up, Adell's presence and Upton under contract, but I just wouldn't do it. But I understand why many would. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

There was that .gif that TBW shared last year of a side by side view of Charlie Blackmon's setting and Brandon Marsh's. They looked awfully similar. Same build, same style of play too.

Marsh won't have Coors Field to inflate his numbers, but Charlie Blackmom is what I see as Marsh's eventual ceiling that he could realistically reach. I know it has to be tempting to trade him when you have Trout locked up, Adell's presence and Upton under contract, but I just wouldn't do it. But I understand why many would. 

Pujols retires halfway through 2020, Marsh and Adell join Trout, and Upton (having worked out at 1B in ST) takes over 1B along with utility guy Walsh.

47 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Pujols retires halfway through 2020, Marsh and Adell join Trout, and Upton (having worked out at 1B in ST) takes over 1B along with utility guy Walsh.

Just my guess, but I think Pujols retires after next year, or there's some sort of a buy-out that occurs where he's still paid in full amount, but he transitions to a front office role,

2019: LF Upton, CF Trout, RF Calhoun, 1B Pujols/Walsh platoon.  DH Ohtani.  3B La Stella/Fletcher.  Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh are in AA, Matt Thaiss is in AAA.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in A Ball. 

2020: LF Upton, CF Trout, RF Adell, 1B platoon of Thaiss and Ward.  3B La Stella/Fletcher, DH platoon of Ohtani and Pujols.  This is Pujols' swan song.  We use AAA as a holding tank for MLB ready talent that's not getting PT in the majors, like Brandon Marsh and Jahmai Jones.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in Advanced A Ball. 

2021: LF Adell, CF Trout, RF Marsh, 1B Justin Upton/Matt Thaiss.  3B Matt Thaiss/Fletcher.  DH Ohtani/Upton.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in AA.  Jahmai Jones is traded.  

2022: LF Adell, CF Trout, RF Marsh, 1B Upton/Thaiss, 3B Thaiss/Fletcher, DH Ohtani/Upton.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in AAA, also embarking into the majors. 

2023: LF Trout, CF Adams, RF Adell, 1B Marsh/Thaiss, 3B Maitan/Thaiss, DH Ohtani/Maitan.  

17 hours ago, Dochalo said:

flipped back a forth between all three games tonight.  A few observations:

Cowart looks like a position player trying to pitch.  

Heaney looked terrific.  

Thaiss looks better than Ward at 3b.  Had an error on a throw but made a nice play to make the stop before an errant throw.  Stronger are than I remember.  

Ward tried to make a throw from the OF and looked like someone tied his shoe laces together and made him throw with his opposite hand.  Literally one of the most awkward thinks I've seen.  Can't figure the guy out.  Great arm.  Pretty athletic.  I think he's a martian.  Dude looks so out of place on certain plays and like a star on others.  

Beasley has good stuff.  4k in 5ip with 4h and 2bb.  But looked better than that.  Good breaking ball and change.  

Marsh is a really good defensive OFer.  Every bit of a CFer and with some swag/flair.  Whiffed twice in his 1-4 but has good at bats. 

Soriano had an awesome line tonight.  4ip, 10h, 5er (4er in the first), 1bb, 7k.  Classic case of a guy with dominant stuff when he throws it even close to where he wants.  Also had a ton of bad luck with some cheapies.  Slider is unhittable.  Seriously.  It's super nasty plus plus when he throws it right and he whizzed the fastball by you several times.  A much better appearance than the stats show.  Overall thought, very inconsistent.  

- Cowart didn't look good tonight.  He's looked better before though.  But yes, the motion doesn't look natural right now.  Rushed. 

- At first I thought it was just a lack of opportunities to screw up, but I've watched Thaiss at 3B enough times now to verify what you're seeing.  He's a lot better than Taylor Ward over there.  And Thaiss bulked up just before last year, he just wears everything baggy.  Must be an east coast thing, but that kid is extremely strong. 

- Ward is an athlete, but not so much of a baseball player.  I suspect that's why he began playing catcher in the first place instead of 3B or the OF, or even pitching.  Looks great at the plate this year though.

- Doesn't Marsh just look like a major leaguer?  At least to me he does.  Maybe it's the way he's built or the way he carries himself but it just seems like a forgone conclusion when I see him. 

- Slider is plus-plus.  It was electric two years ago.  It was a plus pitch last year.  This year it's the same except he commands it even better.  Doesn't even look like he's trying when he pitches.  Easy mid-90's.  I don't like that he's only pitching from the stretch though.  

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

Just my guess, but I think Pujols retires after next year, or there's some sort of a buy-out that occurs where he's still paid in full amount, but he transitions to a front office role,

2019: LF Upton, CF Trout, RF Calhoun, 1B Pujols/Walsh platoon.  DH Ohtani.  3B La Stella/Fletcher.  Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh are in AA, Matt Thaiss is in AAA.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in A Ball. 

2020: LF Upton, CF Trout, RF Adell, 1B platoon of Thaiss and Ward.  3B La Stella/Fletcher, DH platoon of Ohtani and Pujols.  This is Pujols' swan song.  We use AAA as a holding tank for MLB ready talent that's not getting PT in the majors, like Brandon Marsh and Jahmai Jones.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in Advanced A Ball. 

2021: LF Adell, CF Trout, RF Marsh, 1B Justin Upton/Matt Thaiss.  3B Matt Thaiss/Fletcher.  DH Ohtani/Upton.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in AA.  Jahmai Jones is traded.  

2022: LF Adell, CF Trout, RF Marsh, 1B Upton/Thaiss, 3B Thaiss/Fletcher, DH Ohtani/Upton.  Jordyn Adams and Kevin Maitan in AAA, also embarking into the majors. 

2023: LF Trout, CF Adams, RF Adell, 1B Marsh/Thaiss, 3B Maitan/Thaiss, DH Ohtani/Maitan.  

Nice timeline - I think it is a good projection, although I would like to factor Hermosillo in as 4th outfielder next year, even if it may not happen. I also haven't given up on Deveaux's upside or Knowles somehow working his way into the conversation. As I've said before, our outfield is set for the next decade.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nice timeline - I think it is a good projection, although I would like to factor Hermosillo in as 4th outfielder next year, even if it may not happen. I also haven't given up on Deveaux's upside or Knowles somehow working his way into the conversation. As I've said before, our outfield is set for the next decade.

Hermosillo will be the 4th OF starting next year probably.  Deveaux....let's just say his ETA is looking more like 2025.  But Knowles, he absolutely should be considered in this 4-year outlook.  Jackson too. 

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

Do you  think AP continues after 2019 with the reduced playing time.

He has gotten 38 AB;s over the last fifteen days. (I'm not arguing with that), just wondering if he can handle a bench/part time role.

Just now, HaloNArizona said:

Do you  think AP continues after 2019 with the reduced playing time.

He has gotten 38 AB;s over the last fifteen days. (I'm not arguing with that), just wondering if he can handle a bench/part time role.

That's what I think has and will happen. He's become a plain 1B this year with Ohtani at DH full time. To Albert's credit, he's working the count and using the whole field now. Come next year, we'll have Thaiss, Ward and Walsh all competing for AB's at 1B, and Ohtani taking 60% off the DH duties. That basically means that if he's in this team next year, it will basically just be as a party time DH. So he will use that year to say his goodbye to baseball, at least in a playing capacity. 

But personally, I hope it happens sooner. Roster space is limited as is, and carrying a part time DH effectively limits some things. I'm hoping Albert sees the writing on the wall and chooses to use this year as his goodbye tour. If that happens, the Angels could not only carry Walsh as a platoon 1B and save a spot in the bullpen, but with the 26th man becoming available, they'd be able to roster Thaiss or Ward  (not both) as the other platoon 1B and DH as well as Rengifo as the starting 2B/UT.

30 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Better groom a SS now, as Simba will never, eeeever be the same again.

#$&&&#$^^& this franchise's luck!!!!!   Will it ever @#$&##& change?????

3rd degree sprains are not career ending.  I had two ankle surgeries.  After rehab (about 3 months) I was back at full strength.  I don't know how the injury effects next year let alone the rest of his career

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

Thanks for this outline.  It's really an exciting time to be a fan - there's a lot of youth coming up the pipeline that looks really promising.  I wonder, if La Stella keeps performing like he has, if they'd consider extending him and keeping him as part of our "core" moving forward.  

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Better groom a SS now, as Simba will never, eeeever be the same again.

#$&&&#$^^& this franchise's luck!!!!!   Will it ever @#$&##& change?????

I think he'll be fine in the long-term, this isn't a career-ending injury.  Just want to make sure he doesn't rush back and make this a chronic issue.