• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

So I've been lazy this year with regards to our system. It seems they've taken a step back on the position player side of things (so far) but have taken a step forward with the pitching?

Which guys have "broken out" so to speak? I've heard good things about Soriano, but that's about it. Do we have any new potential top 100 guys?

Someone give me the cliff notes.

lazy f**k

Adell injured but a good start in his rehab.  

Canning - legit

Marsh - progress but quietly.  Could explode any time.  Park is killing lefties.  

Suarez - one bad outing of his 5.  Otherwise lights out.  Late start due to injury

Jones - dreadful year so far.  Bad offense.  Bad defense.  

Rengifo - cutting teeth in the majors.  showing potential.  

Adams - slow start.  very good of late.  

Ward - still smoking minor league pitching.  playing multiple positions.  

Sandoval - either amazing or not so great.  More the former than the latter.  Inconsistent but showing dominance at times.  

Thaiss - kinda meh.  Always waiting for him to do more.  But showing solid potential as a 3b option. 

Jeremiah Jackson - getting a swing makeover in extended spring.  Probably see him at Orem soon and maybe A ball by years end.  

Knowles - been injured.  will see him soon.  

Maitan - pretty bad so far.   Better defense at 2b/3b.  still not great.  No power.  decent discipline.  lots of k's.  

Jose Soriano - dominant stuff.  could be a front of the rotation guy.  inconsistent but still very very promising. 

Chris Rodriguez - showed top of the rotation stuff in 3 starts then got injured.  surgery on his back.  hopefully he comes back the same because he's got the highest ceiling of all Angel pitching prospects.  

Hermosillo - hasn't played yet due to sports hernia rehab

Trent Deveaux - haven't heard anything from extended spring.  Probably starts with AZL or Orem

AAron Hernandez - decent stuff at A+ so far.  Looks like a back of the rotation guy.  

Ty Buttrey - dominant mlb reliever

Jared Walsh - 39th rounder in MLB.  Jury is out as to whether he'll stick but he's crush expectation so far.  One of my favorite guys to root for right now.  

JMF - no longer in the org.  I think he signed in Korea

Livan Soto - on the IL.  Amazing defense.  could be a good avg. guy but zero power.  

Orlando Martinez - on the IL .  Struggles early at IE but only 44 ab.  

Alex Ramirez - hasn't played yet.  AZL?  probably DSL

Jack Kruger - not very good with the bat.  Good defense.  

Luis Pena - not so good all relief so far at AAA.  not sure what's going on but hasn't played in awhile. 

Jesus Castillo - was on the outs and has recently done very well with increase velo from last year.  Sinker guy.  

Kyle Bradish - looking very good so far at A+.  Has mid rotation potential or high leverage reliever.  Could surprise people.  

William English - in extended spring.  haven't heard anything.  

Jo Adell in his "spring training" with the 66ers is hitting 

353/.353/.765/1.118. with 2 home runs in 4 games. Yeah, he could take a walk but when you are this blazing hot after going 0-for in his first game, why not swing away?

Others

AAA

Brennon Lund - high floor OFer with low ceiling.  struggling in AAA

Simon Matthews - has some high leverage reliever potential.  Started in A+ and now in AAA.  

Jose Rodriguez - suddenly boosted his velo and k rate now that he's in relief full time.  

Zac Ryan - could get some mlb time as a shuttle guy (MLB to SLC to MLB to SLC etc) at some point

Same for De Horta if he learns to not miss in the strike zone.  

Rojas - above avg AAA hitter.  Will get an mlb look maybe.  Should be in our top 30

AA

Matt Ball - low leverage guy.  probably a Bridwell or Dillon Peters type.  

Jeremy Beasley - should be at the back end of our top 30 probably.  Back end starter potential.  

Luis Madero - one of the biggest movers so far.  Probably should be in the top 15.  22yo with good stuff.  Performing well in A+/AA.  On the 40 man.  Mid rotation potential.  

Brett Hanewich - big RHer with some late inning potential.  hard thrower.  

Gatto - Performing well.  He looks unhittable to one batter and batting practice to the next.  depends on whether he keeps his fastball down.  Up and it flattens out into a cookie.  

A+ 

Torii Jr - avg performance relative to a park that has suppressed offense.  Excellent defender   

Rivas - resurgent year.  bright spot on offense relative to the league with some pop that we hadn't seen.  on the IL now.  not sure why.  

Isaac Mattson - super dominant in relief.  I like his potential to move quick as a back end reliever.  

Jorge Tavarez - performing well.  could be a serviceable shuttle guy at some point 

Austin Warren - likely a quick mover as a decent major league pen arm 

Oliver Ortega - doing very well.  could surprise some folks as a back end guy or maybe even a bit better.  

Denny Brady, Travis Herrin, Andrew Wantz, Jake Lee.  All similar to Ortega.  A couple guys from that list likely end up providing solid relief.  

Cooper Criswell - Noe Ramirez type at best.  

A

Spencer Griffin - solid for level and age.  4th OFer maybe.  

Gleyvin Pineda - avg performance for level.  MIF.  Not big potential 

Connor Fitzsimons - same as Pineda

Hector Yan - definitely a top 30 guy now after a solid showing so far.  too many BBs but lots of missed bats.  Inconsistent from start to start as expected for a 20yo in A ball.  

Cole Duensing - see Yan but probably even less consistent.  Borderline top 30.  

Swanda - Showed some promise early but now off to TJ surg. 

Connor Higgins - dominant in relief at 22 in A ball.  Big lefty - 6'5", 240.  Actually promoted to A+ but has struggled in a couple IP there.  

Luis Alvarado - 17th rounder last year.  3.09 era at age 22.  42k in 32ip this year.  too many bbs (18 so far).  Another big guy, 6'4", 210 and I think he throws hard.  

Chris Molina - likely a top 30 guy now.   Very good so far after a miserable 16, 17 and 18.  A good example of why not to give up on guys too soon.  Maybe he doesn't sustain, but the stuff is good.  

Ben Morrison - another 2018 draft pick performing well in relief.  

Robinson Pina - Very strong performance so far at age 20.  Moved from DSL to AZL to Orem last year with strong numbers.  A top 30 guy for sure (at least on my list).  

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Jo Adell in his "spring training" with the 66ers is hitting 

353/.353/.765/1.118. with 2 home runs in 4 games. Yeah, he could take a walk but when you are this blazing hot after going 0-for in his first game, why not swing away?

0-4 tonight with 4k and a bb.  Swing away Jo.  Swing away.  

JC gave up two bombs in his first rehab start.  3er in 1.2 ip.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Parker hit 3 bombs tonight.  

Man, our organizational outfield depth has never been better. 

Also, I wonder how many players can say they hit 3 HR's in a minor league game and 3 in a big league game in their professional careers?

Parker has done that! 

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I'm gonna double down on my earlier theory and I think I have a reason.  

They've been putting the swing trainer/tracker on the knob of every bat.  Not saying it's causing issues by distracting due to it's presence on the bat (although it might) but more about knowing it's there and thinking they have to make the perfect swing.  So distracting in another way.  As an aside, I saw a Marsh at bat where it came off the bat and he somewhat annoyingly chucked it off to the side.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that but he tossed it away like you'd toss a golf tee after a bad drive.  

Do they ever get used to being tracked like that?

Or will it always be a distraction?

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

He's been mentioned on the hotlist, but there has to be a story behind DC Arendas.  25yo from USC (Gamecocks).  Finished in 2016 and there is no record of him playing for another team between then and now with his time in Burlington being his first stint in pro ball.  Obviously, he was never drafted.  

Didn't play a ton in college and didn't perform well.  

Hit his 6th hr today in 110 or so AB.  he hit 12 in his entire college career (486 ab).  

I know he probably doesn't amount to much, but I am curious about his path.  

I've been eyeing him when working on the list...so far, it's been hard to place him since he's really old for the league, and he hasn't always has as many PAs as others in the date range. Don't know a whole lot about him. 

I am starting to get a little curious and excited however about Spencer Griffin. At 22, he's a shade old for the league, but check his May slash - .294/.402/.529/.931 with 5 doubles, 3 triples, 3 homers, 16 walks, 30 strikeouts in 85 PA.

The strikeout rate is power-hitter high, 33%, but his BB% is up to a very good 14%, and almost all of his power output has come this month. As we know, power can develop late and come along quickly, maybe something is clicking. He needs to sustain this for another month or so before I get too hyped, but he's still at point in his career where he could become a legit Top 30 prospect, at least in the vein of guys like Rojas, Walsh, Fletcher, with a good season or two across a couple levels.

18 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

So I've been lazy this year with regards to our system. It seems they've taken a step back on the position player side of things (so far) but have taken a step forward with the pitching?

Which guys have "broken out" so to speak? I've heard good things about Soriano, but that's about it. Do we have any new potential top 100 guys?

Someone give me the cliff notes.

Here let me translate it for you, Toby:

15 hours ago, Dochalo said:

lazy f**k

Adell injured but a good start in his rehab.  4.5 out of 5 Boners

Canning - legit 4.5 out of 5 Boners

Marsh - progress but quietly.  Could explode any time.   Park is killing lefties. 4 out of 5 Boners

Suarez - one bad outing of his 5.  Otherwise lights out.  Late start due to injury 4 out of 5 Boners

Jones - dreadful year so far.  Bad offense.  Bad defense.  3 out of 5 Boners

Rengifo - cutting teeth in the majors.  showing potential.  3.5 out of 5 Boners

Adams - slow start.  very good of late.  3.5 out of 5 Boners

Ward - still smoking minor league pitching.  playing multiple positions.  4 out of 5 Boners

Sandoval - either amazing or not so great.  More the former than the latter.  Inconsistent but showing dominance at times.  4 out of 5 Boners

Thaiss - kinda meh.  Always waiting for him to do more.  But showing solid potential as a 3b option. 3 out of 5 Boners

Jeremiah Jackson - getting a swing makeover in extended spring.  Probably see him at Orem soon and maybe A ball by years end.  3 out of 5 Boners

Knowles - been injured.  will see him soon.  3.5 out of 5 Boners

Maitan - pretty bad so far.   Better defense at 2b/3b.  still not great.  No power.  decent discipline.  lots of k's.  2.5 out of 5 Boners

Jose Soriano - dominant stuff.  could be a front of the rotation guy.  inconsistent but still very very promising. 3.5 out of 5 Boners

Chris Rodriguez - showed top of the rotation stuff in 3 starts then got injured.  surgery on his back.  hopefully he comes back the same because he's got the highest ceiling of all Angel pitching prospects.  3.5 out of 5 Boners

Hermosillo - hasn't played yet due to sports hernia rehab 3 out of 5 Boners

Trent Deveaux - haven't heard anything from extended spring.  Probably starts with AZL or Orem 3 out of 5 Boners

AAron Hernandez - decent stuff at A+ so far.  Looks like a back of the rotation guy.  3 out of 5 Boners

Ty Buttrey - dominant mlb reliever 4.5 out of 5 Boners

Jared Walsh - 39th rounder in MLB.  Jury is out as to whether he'll stick but he's crush expectation so far.  One of my favorite guys to root for right now.  3.5 out of 5 Boners

JMF - no longer in the org.  I think he signed in Korea 0 out of 5 Boners

Livan Soto - on the IL.  Amazing defense.  could be a good avg. guy but zero power.  3 out of 5 Boners

Orlando Martinez - on the IL .  Struggles early at IE but only 44 ab.  2.5 out of 5 Boners

Alex Ramirez - hasn't played yet.  AZL?  probably DSL 2.5 out of 5 Boners

Jack Kruger - not very good with the bat.  Good defense.  2.5 out of 5 Boners

Luis Pena - not so good all relief so far at AAA.  not sure what's going on but hasn't played in awhile. 2 out of 5 Boners

Jesus Castillo - was on the outs and has recently done very well with increase velo from last year.  Sinker guy.  2.5 out of 5 Boners

Kyle Bradish - looking very good so far at A+.  Has mid rotation potential or high leverage reliever.  Could surprise people.  3.5 out of 5 Boners

William English - in extended spring.  haven't heard anything.  2.5 out of 5 Boners

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Others

AAA

Brennon Lund - high floor OFer with low ceiling.  struggling in AAA Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Simon Matthews - has some high leverage reliever potential.  Started in A+ and now in AAA.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Jose Rodriguez - suddenly boosted his velo and k rate now that he's in relief full time.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

Zac Ryan - could get some mlb time as a shuttle guy (MLB to SLC to MLB to SLC etc) at some point Erection has lasted 1.5 hours.

Same for De Horta if he learns to not miss in the strike zone.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Rojas - above avg AAA hitter.  Will get an mlb look maybe.  Should be in our top 30 Erection has lasted 3 hours.

AA

Matt Ball - low leverage guy.  probably a Bridwell or Dillon Peters type.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Jeremy Beasley - should be at the back end of our top 30 probably.  Back end starter potential.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Luis Madero - one of the biggest movers so far.  Probably should be in the top 15.  22yo with good stuff.  Performing well in A+/AA.  On the 40 man.  Mid rotation potential.  Erection has lasted 3 hours.

Brett Hanewich - big RHer with some late inning potential.  hard thrower.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

Gatto - Performing well.  He looks unhittable to one batter and batting practice to the next.  depends on whether he keeps his fastball down.  Up and it flattens out into a cookie.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

A+ 

Torii Jr - avg performance relative to a park that has suppressed offense.  Excellent defender   Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Rivas - resurgent year.  bright spot on offense relative to the league with some pop that we hadn't seen.  on the IL now.  not sure why.  Erection has lasted 3 hours.

Isaac Mattson - super dominant in relief.  I like his potential to move quick as a back end reliever.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

Jorge Tavarez - performing well.  could be a serviceable shuttle guy at some point Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Austin Warren - likely a quick mover as a decent major league pen arm Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Oliver Ortega - doing very well.  could surprise some folks as a back end guy or maybe even a bit better.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

Denny Brady, Travis Herrin, Andrew Wantz, Jake Lee.  All similar to Ortega.  A couple guys from that list likely end up providing solid relief.  Erections have lasted 2 hours.

Cooper Criswell - Noe Ramirez type at best.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

A

Spencer Griffin - solid for level and age.  4th OFer maybe.  Erection has lasted 1.5 hours.

Gleyvin Pineda - avg performance for level.  MIF.  Not big potential Erection has lasted 1 hour.

Connor Fitzsimons - same as Pineda Erection has lasted 1 hour.

Hector Yan - definitely a top 30 guy now after a solid showing so far.  too many BBs but lots of missed bats.  Inconsistent from start to start as expected for a 20yo in A ball.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

Cole Duensing - see Yan but probably even less consistent.  Borderline top 30.  Erection has lasted 1.5 hours.

Swanda - Showed some promise early but now off to TJ surg. Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Connor Higgins - dominant in relief at 22 in A ball.  Big lefty - 6'5", 240.  Actually promoted to A+ but has struggled in a couple IP there.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Luis Alvarado - 17th rounder last year.  3.09 era at age 22.  42k in 32ip this year.  too many bbs (18 so far).  Another big guy, 6'4", 210 and I think he throws hard.  Erection has lasted 2.5 hours.

Chris Molina - likely a top 30 guy now.   Very good so far after a miserable 16, 17 and 18.  A good example of why not to give up on guys too soon.  Maybe he doesn't sustain, but the stuff is good.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Ben Morrison - another 2018 draft pick performing well in relief.  Erection has lasted 2 hours.

Robinson Pina - Very strong performance so far at age 20.  Moved from DSL to AZL to Orem last year with strong numbers.  A top 30 guy for sure (at least on my list).  Erection has lasted 3 hours.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Dude's neck is Trout like.

It's that football player frame.  He's been playing his whole life. Trout.... well we know he got it from his dad Jeff but dad is only like 5'8", he's got that build but on a 6'2" frame with a proper nutrition program. Amazing what happens to athletes when that happens.

But back to Adams, even with the slow start,  I trust the Angels when it comes to player development. They are under the impression Adam's will be an absolute stud, so I suppose I should operate under the same assumption. 

Same logic applies the Maitan. It can be hard to see when the results aren't there though. 

28 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's that football player frame.  He's been playing his whole life. Trout.... well we know he got it from his dad Jeff but dad is only like 5'8", he's got that build but on a 6'2" frame with a proper nutrition program. Amazing what happens to athletes when that happens.

But back to Adams, even with the slow start,  I trust the Angels when it comes to player development. They are under the impression Adam's will be an absolute stud, so I suppose I should operate under the same assumption. 

Same logic applies the Maitan. It can be hard to see when the results aren't there though. 

to imagine success for Maitan right now you have to smoke some weed, drink 8 shots of espresso, 4 shots of tequila, put on a funny hat, rub a horseshoe and squint your eyes.  Look into the distance.  Can you see it?