• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Maitan and Jones are a bit different in that Maitan was a highly regarded kid who wasn't at all as advertised and is a project. He's more comparable to, say, Nonie Williams.

Jones had a great combo of talent and make-up and had performed very well in A/A+ ball in 2017 as a 19 year old. He was mediocre last year in AA, but held his own; this year, however, he is totally lost - still in AA, but more than a step back.

I know you know all of this, but I'm just illustrating that they are on different trajectories. Maitan looks bad in A ball but is at least going in the basic right direction, whereas Jones seems to be going backward. But I think you're right that he needs a break of some kind.

22 hours ago, Dochalo said:

to imagine success for Maitan right now you have to smoke some weed, drink 8 shots of espresso, 4 shots of tequila, put on a funny hat, rub a horseshoe and squint your eyes.  Look into the distance.  Can you see it?  

Or as tdawg calls it, Tuesday.

46 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Adell is headed to AA. Glad I didnt go to the game last night or today.

I wonder if Marsh will be in the lineup with him tonight in Mobile. He limped out of the game after a triple last night. 

Edit: Just checked and no Adell or Marsh in Mobile's lineup tonight. 

6 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Angels outfield prospect Brandon Marsh suffered a Grade 2 right ankle sprain last night on the basepaths. He has been placed on the IL for Double-A Mobile. No timetable for a return as of yet.

Adell was back in 12 weeks from a grade 3. We can figure on this being 6-8 wells I'm guessing. That sucks for many reasons, the first being that Marsh was more locked in than at any point in his career. The second being that his development is delayed just that much longer. And the third and totally most important is that I really wanted to see him and Adell in the same OF together on AA Mobile's recently upgraded "HD Quality" picture, which admittedly is pretty awesome compared to other stuff we get on MiLB.tv. 

22 minutes ago, Scott34 said:

Hopefully he comes back in late July, continues hitting well and then gets a look next year. Worst case scenario he's in AAA as a 22 year old. Pretty much good news that nothing is fully torn or anything. 

Yeah I just see this as a minor setback. It's not like there's an open spot in the outfield next year anyhow and we have some good depth in this area even if there's an injury. 

The biggest bummer is that I wanted he and Adell to be teammates again and go off in Mobile together. Marsh was on fire of late, so I hope he can pick up where he left off when he returns. 

• Chuck featured this topic

In today's Baseball America Prospect Hotlist, here's a little blurb on Robinson Pina for the top guy this week Wander Franco. Outside of some control issues, Pina has been quite impressive thus far for us. 

1. Wander Franco, SS, Rays
Team: Low Class A Bowling Green (Midwest)
Why He’s Here: .474/.500/.947 (9-for-22), 7 R, 3 2B, 0 3B, 2 HR, 6 RBIs, 2 BB, 0 SO, 3 SB

The Scoop: Wander Franco is 18 years old, is in low Class A and we may already have run out of superlatives to describe him. Instead, let’s look at some facts.

• In 108 minor league games, only one pitcher has managed to strike him out more than once (kudos to you, Angels prospect Robinson Pina)
  • He has not struck out swinging since May 20, and has not struck out at all since May 24, a span of 29 plate appearances
  • Through June 2, Franco is hitting .326 in the Midwest League as an 18-year-old. Two years ago, when Vladimir Guerrero Jr. was in the Midwest League as an 18-year-old, he hit … .326.
  • He did not swing and miss once during this Hot Sheet period, and has not swung and missed since the third inning on May 26. (JN)

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 9.43.56 AM.png

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I repeat, name ONE other org that has gone through the injuries this one has gone through for half a decade!

I'm sick and tired of it!!!!!!!!

Yeah, the Angels do seem to have particularly bad luck, but it is hard to say as none of us (I'm fairly certain) follow any other organization as closely. So it just might be that we notice the injuries more.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a record for TJS, at least within the last five years.