• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fletcher isn't in that group anymore - he's graduated from the audtion phase and is a regular. I don't know if he'll hit .314 with a 120 wRC+ all year, but I think he's good for at least .290/110 and is a bonafide 4 WAR player.

Thaiss and Walsh are competing against each other - I don't see how the team has room for both long-term, especially if and when Adell and Marsh reach the majors (probably 2020). 

Rengifo's place on the team depends on two factors: how well he plays vs. how Cozart plays. So far Rengifo has been better but still mediocre. But the transition is happening.

I wouldn't expect to see more than a few starts from Sandoval this year. But Suarez will be up soonish, I'm guessing, and get 10-15 starts in the majors this year.

You're absolutely right. I think the only reason I included him is because I still haven't decided if his future is as a starting infielder/ outfielder or if he's a super-sub. Probably the former. Eckstein was a starter. Fletcher can be too. And some of that is probably dependent upon a few different factors. The first being Rengifo. If he plays to his potential, because of his on base ability, he's a starting 2B. If not, then he likely becomes the super-sub with Fletcher starting at 2B. The second factor is likely that becomes of 3B. Does La Stella stay or get traded,  and continue to hit, or stop hitting. Can Thaiss progress far enough defensively that the Angels feel comfortable with him playing there every day? Can Walsh or Ward hit enough at 1B or does Thaiss need to be over there?

But you are right, Fletcher has established himself as an integral cog moving forward. 

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

You're absolutely right. I think the only reason I included him is because I still haven't decided if his future is as a starting infielder/ outfielder or if he's a super-sub. Probably the former. Eckstein was a starter. Fletcher can be too. And some of that is probably dependent upon a few different factors. The first being Rengifo. If he plays to his potential, because of his on base ability, he's a starting 2B. If not, then he likely becomes the super-sub with Fletcher starting at 2B. The second factor is likely that becomes of 3B. Does La Stella stay or get traded,  and continue to hit, or stop hitting. Can Thaiss progress far enough defensively that the Angels feel comfortable with him playing there every day? Can Walsh or Ward hit enough at 1B or does Thaiss need to be over there?

But you are right, Fletcher has established himself as an integral cog moving forward. 

Another factor is Simmons and how he comes back from his injury. Chances are he'll still be good, but if he loses a step or two--which is very possible--then all of a sudden an extension might be less likely.

In 2021 we could have any number of infield configurations, with candidates for each position:

1B: Thaiss, Ward, Walsh, Upton, free agent/trade

2B: Fletcher, Rengifo, Jones, Rivas

SS: Simmons, Fletcher, Rengifo, Rivas

3B: Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Rojas

That's nine players, four positions. Add in two for UT and CI and you keep six of those guys. Maybe one or two are traded and the ninth is minor league depth.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

So has Ward, Walsh, Rojas and Rengifo. Good to see them driving and taking the ball the other way. 

Ward, not so much.  He's had extremely strong pull power so far, which is something that Thaiss still needs to work on.  He's shown to be solid at turning on a pitch for a single, even a double, but he doesn't lift pitches on the inner half the way that power hitters tend to do.  Ward does though. .  Walsh has shown oppo power for sure, pull power too, but it's come at the cost of contact.  Rojas, not really.  He's made solid contact all-around though.  Rengifo, I'd say it's all relative.  A lot more than you'd expect from someone of his frame, for sure.  Not as much as someone like Thiass or Walsh, but much more so than 90% of other middle infielders. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Ward, not so much.  He's had extremely strong pull power so far, which is something that Thaiss still needs to work on.  He's shown to be solid at turning on a pitch for a single, even a double, but he doesn't lift pitches on the inner half the way that power hitters tend to do.  Ward does though. .  Walsh has shown oppo power for sure, pull power too, but it's come at the cost of contact.  Rojas, not really.  He's made solid contact all-around though.  Rengifo, I'd say it's all relative.  A lot more than you'd expect from someone of his frame, for sure.  Not as much as someone like Thiass or Walsh, but much more so than 90% of other middle infielders. 

Yeah, I just remember Ward hitting a couple of HR's to right-center field but i admit I haven't watched every Bees game and you're right that he does look to pull the ball more so than the other guys I mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Another factor is Simmons and how he comes back from his injury. Chances are he'll still be good, but if he loses a step or two--which is very possible--then all of a sudden an extension might be less likely.

In 2021 we could have any number of infield configurations, with candidates for each position:

1B: Thaiss, Ward, Walsh, Upton, free agent/trade

2B: Fletcher, Rengifo, Jones, Rivas

SS: Simmons, Fletcher, Rengifo, Rivas

3B: Thaiss, Ward, Fletcher, Rengifo, Rojas

That's nine players, four positions. Add in two for UT and CI and you keep six of those guys. Maybe one or two are traded and the ninth is minor league depth.

Unless Simmons has a compound break like Morales and is just ligament damage he should come back to full strength.

Jose Suarez has an opener for today's game in Luke Bard, who promptly gave up 4 ER in the 1st inning.

Please keep Suarez as the opener and finisher, please? 

He's been lights out to date until today as he gave up 6 ER on 7 hits in 3 2/3 innings, striking out 4. ERA jumps from under two to 3.91. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jose Suarez has an opener for today's game in Luke Bard, who promptly gave up 4 ER in the 1st inning.

Please keep Suarez as the opener and finisher, please? 

He's been lights out to date until today as he gave up 6 ER on 7 hits in 3 2/3 innings, striking out 4. ERA jumps from under two to 3.91. 

Wonder why they chose to opt for an opener when he hasn't had one all season?

32 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Rodriguez has become mildly interesting again since moving from SP to relief.  9.2ip, 2er, 13k, 4bb over his last 3 appearances.  From what I remember, he was throwing in the mid 90's this spring which is up from where he was earlier in his minor league career.   

K-Rod 2.0 (converting from SP)?    Does he have a good slider or changeup?