• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

41 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Is it me or have people on here already soured on Adams?  

Just you I think. Adams got off top a rough start for sure, but if we were to poll members here, I'd say the majority still believe he will be a top 100 prospect in the next two years. 

AW doesn't seem to sour on prospects as much as we forget about some. There are some really high upside kids that aren't trapped about much here. Alex Ramirez, Raider Uceta, Stiward Aquino, Hector Yan,, Jeremiah Jackson, D'Shawn Knowles, and Trent Deveaux.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Just you I think. Adams got off top a rough start for sure, but if we were to poll members here, I'd say the majority still believe he will be a top 100 prospect in the next two years. 

AW doesn't seem to sour on prospects as much as we forget about some. There are some really high upside kids that aren't trapped about much here. Alex Ramirez, Raider Uceta, Stiward Aquino, Hector Yan,, Jeremiah Jackson, D'Shawn Knowles, and Trent Deveaux.

I have just seen some posts that say something to the affect of, “I hope Eppler drafts a pitcher this year instead of some toolsy outfielder like Adams”.  To me that is kind of discrediting  him.  

Just now, Stradling said:

I have just seen some posts that say something to the affect of, “I hope Eppler drafts a pitcher this year instead of some toolsy outfielder like Adams”.  To me that is kind of discrediting  him.  

That was me and I still stand by that. It doesn't mean I've soured on Adams. I think he will take quite a bit of time along with Jeremiah Jackson to reach the big leagues mostly because they possess 4 solid tools with the exception of the hit tool. 

With Adell, Marsh, Jones, Adams, Jackson, Knowles, Devo, and now even Taylor Ward we have enough guys that are incredibly athletic and outfielders.

I would like the Angels to stock up on arms in this draft and if possible draft a close college arm much like they did with Canning. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

That was me and I still stand by that. It doesn't mean I've soured on Adams. I think he will take quite a bit of time along with Jeremiah Jackson to reach the big leagues mostly because they possess 4 solid tools with the exception of the hit tool. 

With Adell, Marsh, Jones, Adams, Jackson, Knowles, Devo, and now even Taylor Ward we have enough guys that are incredibly athletic and outfielders.

I would like the Angels to stock up on arms in this draft and if possible draft a close college arm much like they did with Canning. 

Right on.   My belief is they will probably stay the course.  Last year we saw them draft something like 13 straight pitchers after the 2nd round.  I am with you, if there is a Canning available where they draft I would love to see them draft that guy.  If I had to guess they will still draft a prep arm or supreme athlete.  

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Right on.   My belief is they will probably stay the course.  Last year we saw them draft something like 13 straight pitchers after the 2nd round.  I am with you, if there is a Canning available where they draft I would love to see them draft that guy.  If I had to guess they will still draft a prep arm or supreme athlete.  

Yeah, I do agree with the select the best player available approach, but I think we already have quite a few projects in Adams that will take some time. High risk, super high reward types. But man I'd love to score with a college arm and possibly bat at the 3B or C position in the 2nd round. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, I do agree with the select the best player available approach, but I think we already have quite a few projects in Adams that will take some time. High risk, super high reward types. But man I'd love to score with a college arm and possibly bat at the 3B or C position in the 2nd round. 

If there was the next really good catcher or third baseman that was available that would be amazing.  Or a college arm, but I thought I read this draft is pretty shallow for arms.  I do wonder if we will continue to see a change of beliefs as it relates to pitching where you are simply looking for 5 good innings.  If so in a sense you are limiting the value, not dissimilar to how teams in the NFL stopped drafting running backs early.  Obviously there will still be the absolute studs that get drafted in the top 3-5 in the draft, I don’t know I am just kind of spit balling.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If there was the next really good catcher or third baseman that was available that would be amazing.  Or a college arm, but I thought I read this draft is pretty shallow for arms.  I do wonder if we will continue to see a change of beliefs as it relates to pitching where you are simply looking for 5 good innings.  If so in a sense you are limiting the value, not dissimilar to how teams in the NFL stopped drafting running backs early.  Obviously there will still be the absolute studs that get drafted in the top 3-5 in the draft, I don’t know I am just kind of spit balling.  

Yeah, from the latest Baseball America mock draft it has us selecting a very good HS prep pitcher. If there is indeed a lack of quality arms, then you do gotta go with one in the first round even if it's a HS guy that will take some time. 

I'm with you guys that I'd like to see the Angeks land a starting pitcher from the college ranks that can step into the rotation in 2021, but the problem with that is that this is the weakest draft in years for college starters. 

There are only two that fit that description, Manoah and Lodolo and both will be off the board before the Angels pick.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There should be a good catcher and third baseman to add with the Angels first pick. Brett Baty is a prep 3B with power. Shea Langeliers is the second best collegiate catcher in baseball and the best amateur defensive catcher in the world.

Jeremiah Jackson is looking good in XST.  Still not a big fan of the drifting hands like he had in high school, but the load is unquestionably strong and smooth.  The swing will have to change but you guys can see the strength and athleticism here. 

Edited by Second Base

55 minutes ago, Second Base said:

There should be a good catcher and third baseman to add with the Angels first pick. Brett Baty is a prep 3B with power. Shea Langeliers is the second best collegiate catcher in baseball and the best amateur defensive catcher in the world.

getting the Mauer/Mathis combo vibe from Rustschman/Langeliers this year.   I've always felt Catchers were a bad bet in the first unless they're a consensus top 2-3 pick so I would steer clear of Langeliers personally.  Just an odds play though.  No knock on this kid.  Maybe he's working in rustchman's shadow and being overlooked a bit.  who knows.  

I don't see the Angels taking a college pitcher in the first unless one of those two guys that Scotty mentioned somehow fall to us.   

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

getting the Mauer/Mathis combo vibe from Rustschman/Langeliers this year.   I've always felt Catchers were a bad bet in the first unless they're a consensus top 2-3 pick so I would steer clear of Langeliers personally.  Just an odds play though.  No knock on this kid.  Maybe he's working in rustchman's shadow and being overlooked a bit.  who knows.  

I don't see the Angels taking a college pitcher in the first unless one of those two guys that Scotty mentioned somehow fall to us.   

I'm hearing Quinn Preister on the mound and Gunnar Henderson in the field.  Not from Angels sources.