• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

It seems as if they've abandoned the idea of Taylor Ward as a 3B, as Matt Thaiss has played the majority of the games in the past few weeks at the hot corner, while Ward has primarily played in LF outside of a few starts at DH, 1B and just a couple at 3B. 

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not really.  I mean we can watch Upton and see his obvious opportunities, but we don’t watch other left fielders play 162 games, so to me this is where defensive metrics come into play.  I use them in comparison to other players at the same position.  There is a huge group of Angel fans that think Upton sucks defensively.  Yea, he does, compared to Trout and Kole, but that isn’t fair as they don’t play the same potential.  However compared to Goodwin, he looks pretty good. 

I have had plenty of opportunity to watch other left fielders. Justin Upton is not a good defensive LF, at all. He's not the worst either, but he's nowhere near good, not anymore anyway. Look at the numbers all you want, but @Chuckster70is right.  When it comes to assessing a players defensive ability (outside of catcher), the eye test is still far and above the defensive metrics.

These same defensive methods will tell you Mike Trout does not have good range in CF, despite the fact that he has elite sprint speed, despite the fact that he's the most instinctual defender I've seen in a while, and despite the fact that his reactions are faster than pretty much anyone roaming the grass. 

So you can choose to believe the lie that Mike Trout isn't good out there, or you can actually watch the game and see the truth.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I have had plenty of opportunity to watch other left fielders. Justin Upton is not a good defensive LF, at all. He's not the worst either, but he's nowhere near good, not anymore anyway. Look at the numbers all you want, but @Chuckster70is right.  When it comes to assessing a players defensive ability (outside of catcher), the eye test is still far and above the defensive metrics.

These same defensive methods will tell you Mike Trout does not have good range in CF, despite the fact that he has elite sprint speed, despite the fact that he's the most instinctual defender I've seen in a while, and despite the fact that his reactions are faster than pretty much anyone roaming the grass. 

So you can choose to believe the lie that Mike Trout isn't good out there, or you can actually watch the game and see the truth.

I will tell you what I think as it relates to Trout’s range.  I think he has all the range in the world, maybe not as good as some, certainly above average.  That being said I think because of the range of Upton and Kole, it makes it look like Trout doesn’t have range using metrics.  Not to mention Simmons range going back on the ball.  Upton gets to more balls according to fangraphs than any other left fielder.  He makes errors, but if he is creating more outs because of his range, then I am fine with it.  I remember my light bulb moment when it came to valuing range.  It had to do with Josh Donaldson.  I used to think it was perfectly acceptable to judge a defender by looking at the number of errors.  So you’d see Donaldson lead the world in errors at third, then you find out that he still created 30 more outs than the average 3rd baseman even after factoring in the errors.  Now obviously I am not saying Upton is anywhere near Donaldson but he isn’t as bad as fans make him out to be.    

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Kevin Maitan collected two more hits today, one was a grand slam.  Matt Thaiss is back on the upswing.  Brandon Marsh is staying hot, and Jaime Barria had a pretty solid outing in AAA, all things considered. 

I love it.  We need Marsh to continue to perform because he is the one that I think will be dealt in a package for a starting pitcher.  

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

I love it.  We need Marsh to continue to perform because he is the one that I think will be dealt in a package for a starting pitcher.  

Probably. But I still think it'd be selling low on him. Guys with his frame, athleticism and strength wont post mediocre HR totals their whole career, not usually anyway. Power is the last tool to develop and Marsh could hit 25+ a year. You don't want to trade him when his value is at 10 per year.

Starting to look like Ward’s gradually moving away from 3B. 

In the first 8 games, he played third 7 times (DH once) and made five errors.

He then made his first appearance at 1B, playing it four times in a week, once at DH, two at 3B.

Then he played LF for the first time on April 28th, he has played it 8 times since (including tonight) Taylor Ward has played LF in 9, including two games at 1B, three at DH...and only two at 3B.

Obviously it makes sense to play him more at 1B/LF now since now is the time to get him reps there, but we might be seeing the club start to see him long-term at a different spot.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hard to imagine Ward hitting well enough to be a full-time LF or 1B. His future seems that of a platoon/bench bat.

I still think Ward’s going to be a decent bat. There’s so much power, discipline, and contact in his game, and I could see him benefiting playing at a less stressful defensive position too. I do think there’s a chance he is a bit of a late bloomer though, but I feel really good about him. 

Personally I think he has one of the best offensive ceilings in our system. Aren’t many who could be better.

Edited by totdprods

9 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I still think Ward’s going to be a decent bat. There’s so much power, discipline, and contact in his game, and I could see him benefiting playing at a less stressful defensive position too. I do think there’s a chance he is a bit of a late bloomer though, but I feel really good about him. 

the most likely outcome for Ward that I see is a platoon player at multiple positions who hits lefties well.  Maybe like a Steve Pearce type.  

his upside is a Castellanos type.  Different path because Castellanos was better earlier. 

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

Probably. But I still think it'd be selling low on him. Guys with his frame, athleticism and strength wont post mediocre HR totals their whole career, not usually anyway. Power is the last tool to develop and Marsh could hit 25+ a year. You don't want to trade him when his value is at 10 per year.

how about a Charlie Blackmon comp?  

Man, I know Reno is a tough place for pitchers and a hitters paradise, but holy fuck balls.

btw, CJ Cron's brother Kevin is on pace for 60+ HR if he stays healthy this season and avoids a major league promotion. He would shatter the minor league HR record if that happens. 

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 7.54.43 PM.png

flipped back a forth between all three games tonight.  A few observations:

Cowart looks like a position player trying to pitch.  

Heaney looked terrific.  

Thaiss looks better than Ward at 3b.  Had an error on a throw but made a nice play to make the stop before an errant throw.  Stronger are than I remember.  

Ward tried to make a throw from the OF and looked like someone tied his shoe laces together and made him throw with his opposite hand.  Literally one of the most awkward thinks I've seen.  Can't figure the guy out.  Great arm.  Pretty athletic.  I think he's a martian.  Dude looks so out of place on certain plays and like a star on others.  

Beasley has good stuff.  4k in 5ip with 4h and 2bb.  But looked better than that.  Good breaking ball and change.  

Marsh is a really good defensive OFer.  Every bit of a CFer and with some swag/flair.  Whiffed twice in his 1-4 but has good at bats. 

Soriano had an awesome line tonight.  4ip, 10h, 5er (4er in the first), 1bb, 7k.  Classic case of a guy with dominant stuff when he throws it even close to where he wants.  Also had a ton of bad luck with some cheapies.  Slider is unhittable.  Seriously.  It's super nasty plus plus when he throws it right and he whizzed the fastball by you several times.  A much better appearance than the stats show.  Overall thought, very inconsistent.