• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Replace Harvey and Cahill with Suarez and Sandoval. I would rather the two take their lumps at the big league level than these two old farts that need to be put out to pasture already. 

Odd thing now is that Cahill in his past three starts (aside from the 5th inning in the middle start) has pitched a lot better than Harvey has.

Ultimately, I would call up Suarez in June and DFA Harvey if not improving in his next couple of starts.   Hope that Cahill can regain some trade value due to recent improved outings.   I’m losing faith in Harvey doing so.   Yesterday was horrible.

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

some other observations from tonight.  Hanewich needs to be moved to AA.  

Oliver Ortega has good stuff.  

Thaiss should perform better than he does.  

Jose Rodriguez is a guy who could come from nowhere out of the pen.  mid 90's and good off speed.  

I think I've been saying that about Thaiss going on 3 years now. He really is better than the numbers. 

50 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Suarez needs to be promoted and Jaine Barria needs to be back in the majors. They need to let these youngsters learn to succeed at the highest level and developmentally, AAA is not doing anything for them. 

I know it's a prospect thread, but Barria is still only 22.

Sure hope we close the season with a rotation of Heaney, Skaggs, Canning, Barria, Pena, and Suarez. Ohtani and Sandoval factor in next year too. 

I know it's ugly right now but the rotation depth for 2020 is looking nice. 

Personally I'm still hoping two of Skaggs, Cahill, and Harvey go on a roll and get dealt by the deadline, but that's looking iffy right now.

46 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sure hope we close the season with a rotation of Heaney, Skaggs, Canning, Barria, Pena, and Suarez. Ohtani and Sandoval factor in next year too. 

I know it's ugly right now but the rotation depth for 2020 is looking nice. 

Personally I'm still hoping two of Skaggs, Cahill, and Harvey go on a roll and get dealt by the deadline, but that's looking iffy right now.

Rotation depth isn't the problem anymore.  It was in 2016-2018.  It's quality that's the problem.  Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Pena and Suarez are all #3-5 starters, depending on how you choose to view them. Cahill and Harvey aren't even that.  Ohtani certainly helps next year, but I wouldn't rely on him too heavily.  The Angels are in desperate need of two starters that can be quite a bit more than a #4 starter. 

My hope is that Canningand Ohtani can be those two starters.  But just in case, it would be smart of the Angels if they brought in a Gerrit Cole, Zack Wheeler or Marcus Stroman type.  You put one of those in a rotation with Ohtani and Canning, then we'll have adequate upside and depth. 

50 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Rotation depth isn't the problem anymore.  It was in 2016-2018.  It's quality that's the problem.  Heaney, Skaggs, Barria, Pena and Suarez are all #3-5 starters, depending on how you choose to view them. Cahill and Harvey aren't even that.  Ohtani certainly helps next year, but I wouldn't rely on him too heavily.  The Angels are in desperate need of two starters that can be quite a bit more than a #4 starter. 

My hope is that Canningand Ohtani can be those two starters.  But just in case, it would be smart of the Angels if they brought in a Gerrit Cole, Zack Wheeler or Marcus Stroman type.  You put one of those in a rotation with Ohtani and Canning, then we'll have adequate upside and depth. 

As another posters thread:

Who was the last free agent pitcher to sign a mega contract and be worth the money?

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

As another posters thread:

Who was the last free agent pitcher to sign a mega contract and be worth the money?

Absolutely agree.  If you're going to sign a free agent starter, you have to target the ones that won't dip in their production.  So target ones with a good arsenal that have also been good for at least four years AND are still in their 20's.  Guys like Max Scherzer are the ones you want to try and get in free agency. 

Pretty much describes Cole to a "T".  Of course this would all be much easier if the Angels could just draft/sign and develop these guys.  But the ones ones with the ceiling for that are Chris Rodriguez (hurt), and Jose Soriano (A Ball).  Maybe Hector Yan (also in A Ball) or Stiward Aquino (Rookie Ball).  

I'd like to see the Angels get someone like Manoah or Allen in the draft. 

39 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Adell hitting leadoff. Anyone with MiLBtv tuning in if the game is broadcasted?

Adell looks like he put on some serious muscle during his rehab time. He struck out looking in his first at bat, but had a couple good hacks. 

49 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Adell looks like he put on some serious muscle during his rehab time. He struck out looking in his first at bat, but had a couple good hacks. 

In the last couple of years he's buffed up.  He looked strong in high school.  Now he looks NFL strong safety type of strong.  Kind of reminds me of another kid  on the Angels that was strong in high school, ended up putting on a ton of muscle right around age 20....

Diamondbacks To Promote Kevin Cron

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/05/diamondbacks-promote-kevin-cron.html

Cron, 26, is the younger brother of Twins first baseman C.J. Cron. While he wasn’t a first-round pick like his older brother and didn’t even check in among the Top 30 prospects in Arizona’s system on the preseason rankings of MLB.com, Baseball America or Fangraphs, it’s become increasingly difficult to ignore the ludicrous numbers he’s posted with Triple-A Reno. It’s well known that the Pacific Coast League (Reno in particular) is a hitters’ haven, but belting 21 homers in 199 plate appearances is worthy of attention regardless of environment. Those 21 long balls lead all of Minor League Baseball.

9 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Patrick Sandoval tonight:

6.0 IP    3 H    0 R    3 BB    8 SO

90 pitches 58 strikes

Patrick Sandoval on the season:

35.1 IP    49 SO    3.06 ERA    1.44 WHIP

And of note, he was following by De Horta, who posted the following line:  3IP, 0H, 0R, 1BB, 5Ks.

De Horta got DESTROYED in his first few appearances, but obviously, this one was much more promising.  His has had a significant uptick in his stuff this year.  Might be an interesting relief prospect for us.  I do see a number of relief prospects working their way up the pipeline fairly quickly ..

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

And of note, he was following by De Horta, who posted the following line:  3IP, 0H, 0R, 1BB, 5Ks.

De Horta got DESTROYED in his first few appearances, but obviously, this one was much more promising.  His has had a significant uptick in his stuff this year.  Might be an interesting relief prospect for us.  I do see a number of relief prospects working their way up the pipeline fairly quickly ..

De Horta is a strike thrower but when he misses, he misses in the zone.  SLC is a good spot for him to hone his ability to throw strike in the right spot.