• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

I'd just like to note that for all his struggles, Marsh is still one of the younger ones in AA and has a .356 OBP.  He's a work in progress, but once we hit July or August, it won't be funny any more, he may be demolishing AA pitching.  I know Adell is going to take over in the corner OF.  But Marsh may be the one that causes Justin Upton to be moved, either off his position or off the roster depending on a lot of things.  Marsh reminds me a lot of prospects you see coming up in the Cardinals system, Matt Carpenter, Harrison Bader, Paul DeJong (Kolten Wong was top 100 a couple times, but him too).  Fringe top 100 guys with hard work ethic and continue to build off every game.  Once they get to the major league level and hit, fans wonder just where the heck this kid came from. 

Marsh in RF, Trout in CF and Adell in LF is going to be completely unfair for everyone else, and completely glorious for us. 

47 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'd just like to note that for all his struggles, Marsh is still one of the younger ones in AA and has a .356 OBP.  He's a work in progress, but once we hit July or August, it won't be funny any more, he may be demolishing AA pitching.  I know Adell is going to take over in the corner OF.  But Marsh may be the one that causes Justin Upton to be moved, either off his position or off the roster depending on a lot of things.  Marsh reminds me a lot of prospects you see coming up in the Cardinals system, Matt Carpenter, Harrison Bader, Paul DeJong (Kolten Wong was top 100 a couple times, but him too).  Fringe top 100 guys with hard work ethic and continue to build off every game.  Once they get to the major league level and hit, fans wonder just where the heck this kid came from. 

Marsh in RF, Trout in CF and Adell in LF is going to be completely unfair for everyone else, and completely glorious for us. 

keep going ...

2 hours ago, rafibomb said:

The hits are starting to come, let's hope the power follows

early returns on the Bay Bears home park is that it is death against lefty power.  

you might not see the power till he gets moved to AAA.  He's also considered the best OF defender in the system with the best arm.  @Second Base is right in that we might see him as the Calhoun replacement before Adell.  

4 hours ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Some Philip Bailey and Phil Collins references missed except by @Angelsjunky and @Angel Oracle. Nice.

Was way cool to finally see Bailey perform in concert, reunited with Earth, Wind, and Fire, in 2014 at the L.A. Fair.

Hard to believe it’s been 35 years since Easy Lover was released by Bailey and Collins

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

early returns on the Bay Bears home park is that it is death against lefty power.  

you might not see the power till he gets moved to AAA.  He's also considered the best OF defender in the system with the best arm.  @Second Base is right in that we might see him as the Calhoun replacement before Adell.  

That will be one fun OF to watch, Trout, Adell, and Marsh.    Halos pitchers especially will be pleased to see it.

We have a number of pitchers who are K’ing guys at some pretty high rates (listed as K%) in Burlington:

Robinson Pina (31.1%)
Cristopher Molina (30.1%)
Hector Yan (29.8%)
Luis Alvarado (29.2%)
Jose Soriano (25.3%)

Player development is fascinating, and a number of those kids have been in the very low minors for a few years now. I’m curious as to the emphasis/focus Eppler’s player development team has had for kids that young, as it appears to be translating to some fairly impressive K rates.  Anyone have any insight on these guys (asides from Soriano, who has a good amount of scouting reports out there)?

Looking at both Jones and Marsh, part of me believe that they may not be ready for AA yet, but another part believe that there still working on a few parts of their games and improving. One of the things  i feel like both guys are working on is their plate discipline, hence leading to the high K rates and struggles. Both Marsh and Jones have had an increase in there BB rate these past few years.  Marsh has triple in walk rate from 2017 and Jones has a solid 9.6 % rate this season,

50 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Looking at both Jones and Marsh, part of me believe that they may not be ready for AA yet, but another part believe that there still working on a few parts of their games and improving. One of the things  i feel like both guys are working on is their plate discipline, hence leading to the high K rates and struggles. Both Marsh and Jones have had an increase in there BB rate these past few years.  Marsh has triple in walk rate from 2017 and Jones has a solid 9.6 % rate this season,

That's the thing about challenging kids, they aren't supposed to be successful immediately, otherwise you haven't challenged them far enough. This applies to children learning how to read or do math, and it also applies to these young prospects. Case in point,  Jo Adell was promoted to the Cal League last year and it was clear that wasn't any more of a challenge than Burlington. So they moved him to AA where he struggled, that is supposed to happen. 

Jones and Marsh each belong in AA. I know a lot of people are down on them right now. But they are right where they're supposed to be, performing right around where you should expect. There is no cause for alarm. This isn't like when the Angels signed Baldoquin and it was clear he couldn't handle the Cal League yet at age 21.

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I wouldn't go that far. I think Adell will progress quicker than Marsh, and that Jo will arrive first,  effectively replacing Calhoun. What I'm saying is I think that Marsh is probably only half a season behind him, and will join him in the Anaheim OF at some point. 

The best alignment will have Marsh in RF though. Better arm than Adell.

I feel what's really fascinating about this whole situation is that the Angels chose to hold on to both Brandon Marsh and Jones (so far). I really believed and sometimes still do that Marsh and Jones would be dealt. The Angels have high end pitching needs and a full OF.

If Justin Upton wasn't showing clear signs of losing range last season and if last season or two years ago, someone would have run away with 2B, those two prospects wouldn't be here. If Marsh wasn't such a great teammate and hard worker, he wouldn't be here. I think if last year's draft pick Jordyn Adam's was tearing it up in A Ball in the same fashion as his recent predecessors, or if Knowles was healthy and performing,  their developmental level may only be a year behind Marsh, and I think that too could lead to a Marsh trade.

And If Jones wasn't the leader and didn't have the desire and flexibility he had to succeed, he wouldn't be playing 2B.

And now with Justin Upton injured, and Calhoun's contract expiring, it's looking more and more likely that Marsh and Adell will flank Trout. That will require Upton moving to 1B/DH/4th OF, but given that he's over 30, and if Eppler conveys this is to save his legs and keep his thunderous bat in the lineup and his veteran presence in the clubhouse to lead the youngsters, I think he would oblige. 

Rengifo and Fletcher's breakout seasons last year do make Jones future with the Angels a bit murkier. But I don't think the Angels would have moved him to 2B unless they thought he was their future there. Right now, the pressure is on La Stella, Rengifo, Fletcher, Ward, Walsh and Thaiss to claim a starting spot at either 1B, 2B or 3B at the major league level. Because if they don't before Jones arrives, then Jahmai Jones will get his shot at 2B and that forces everyone else to slide over to 3B. And if you're competing against him for that spot, that's not what you want to see because despite all his struggles, his ceiling is still higher than anyone else I named. I'm not saying it will happen, I'm saying it's possible. 

But I do think inevitably, Marsh, Trout and Adell will be in the OF together, at least until Upyon retires and Adams is ready, which should both happen around the same time. Right around then if no one had claimed 1B then Marsh may pull an Erstad and switch from great outfielder to great 1B.

But you should think with all the depth the Angels have built in the minors, these guys would be expendable. It's taken a specific scenario to make it so they aren't. 

Edited by Second Base

Marsh's numbers are slowly creeping up: now .261/.356/.330. That's hardly awe-inspiring, but you've got to like that OBP and his OPS is approaching .700. I suspect that, to follow with Doc, his slow and gradual improvement will gather momentum and he'll start killing the ball. But I think you want to see sustained dominance before another promotion, mostly because he's going to get almost as good competition in AA while playing in a more realistic ball-park. I don't like the "Salt Lake Effect." So you keep him in AA until you think he's just about ready for the majors. AAA is basically where you stash guys that only need reps but are otherwise ready, or very close.

17 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Defensive metrics are not nearly as polished as they offense. 

The human eye test still supercedes advanced metrics on the defensive side. 

Not really.  I mean we can watch Upton and see his obvious opportunities, but we don’t watch other left fielders play 162 games, so to me this is where defensive metrics come into play.  I use them in comparison to other players at the same position.  There is a huge group of Angel fans that think Upton sucks defensively.  Yea, he does, compared to Trout and Kole, but that isn’t fair as they don’t play the same potential.  However compared to Goodwin, he looks pretty good.