• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

39 minutes ago, Second Base said:

To be fair, Sean-Rod hit a ton in the minors and was more versatile than our golden boy Brandon Wood. 

Take a look at the 2006 Salt Lake Bees roster. Over half the names are recognizable to the average Angels fan. There were players on that roster that played significant time there and then went on to MLB careers. Rodriguez, Willits, Mathis, Itzuris, Kendrick, Aybar, Morales and Napoli got called up early. 

Not worried about Adams, but they have to get away temporarily from drafting athletic OFers in the first round after drafting them early three straight years (Marsh, Adell, and Adams) plus signing Knowles and Deveaux.   Where are they going to put them all ultimately?

It would be a waste to put one or two of them in the INF. 

Matthew Allan should be the top priority, if still available at the #15 slot overall.    They really need a guy with future upper rotation projection, as Canning and Ohtani are the only ones currently.   Suarez is a maybe, Sandoval is a lower rotation guy, and Chris Rodriguez' back health is a huge question mark. 

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Fields are a mess and conditions vary greatly, your teammates aren't always the best...

Not the field but the teamamtes quote is something you can't ignore. If you have a weak infielder it can force others to try and make plays they shouldn't or vice versa.

Jam Jones last season in the IE was completely out of step with Rengifo causing silly fielding errors. One example is Jones fielded a ground ball and races to the bag only to, at the last second, underhand the ball to Rengifo that was waiting for a rely to complete a double play. They ended up getting no one since Rengifo was crossed up trying to clear the bag for Jones then field the toss. 

As others have said, Adams is very young, very raw....  Despite that he's in full season ball.   

If you need a solid comp of a recent draftee and their progression through the minors, check out Daz Cameron....  Cameron had the benefit of repeating rookie ball before seeing time in the Midwest league yet he struggled massively upon his first taste of full season ball.

Like Cameron, Adams has supreme tools and a still evolving game, and like Cameron he's ahead of the game despite his stuggles. I wouldn't be shocked to see their development mirror each other.

Sometimes progress doesn't show up in the traditional stats, but it's there...

27 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Not worried about Adams, but they have to get away temporarily from drafting athletic OFers in the first round after drafting them early three straight years (Marsh, Adell, and Adams) plus signing Knowles and Deveaux.   Where are they going to put them all ultimately?

It would be a waste to put one or two of them in the INF. 

Matthew Allan should be the top priority, if still available at the #15 slot overall.    They really need a guy with future upper rotation projection, as Canning and Ohtani are the only ones currently.   Suarez is a maybe, Sandoval is a lower rotation guy, and Chris Rodriguez' back health is a huge question mark. 

Pick the player who will be the best pro. No one knows where the holes will be in 2-3 seasons, when even the most successful players will make their debut. 

If we have 7 starting caliber outfielders then we can trade for pitching, catching, or infielders. It's better than reaching because we have a need in the rotation or at 3B.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Jones is still young (22 in August), but seems to have totally stalled in AA.

After putting up a .710 OPS in almost 200 at bats in AA for 2018, over a similar number of bats and with a year of 2B under his belt, his OPS is under .500.   WTF is going on with him? 

There are prospect hounds singing the praises of some of the Ms AA outfielders.... Guys who are 24/25...   Jam Jones has sucked, and unlike Marsh the ballpark isn't cock-blocking him... But he's still young for the league and deserves a chance to fail, then overcome.   

Baseball is about overcoming failure... That's what separates MLB players from the Brandon Woods of the world.

5 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Pick the player who will be the best pro. No one knows where the holes will be in 2-3 seasons, when even the most successful players will make their debut. 

If we have 7 starting caliber outfielders them we can trade for pitching, catching, or infielders. It's better than reaching because we have a need in the rotation or at 3B.

True normally, except that Allan slots borderline top 10, but may fall due to asking price.   The Halos need to jump in and draft him, if still on the board.  

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

True normally, except that Allan slots borderline top 10, but may fall due to asking price.   The Halos need to jump in and draft him, if still on the board.  

Because I haven't watched as much baseball as I norm ally would I've resorted to reading as much into as possible.   Seems to be the consensus among the better prospect types is that this is a hitter's draft....  I think the value pitcher wise is in the late rising prep types, and those guys can be iffy...

I think when push comes to shove the Angels will stay the course and go BPA whatever position they may play.  Only way I see them altering course is if they have some extreme value signability guy become a possibility.

Edited by Inside Pitch

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

If he's the best player available, then grab him. I literally know 2 players available in this draft. I just think drafting for need (position and/or schedule) instead of for talent* is a strategy that costs a team big time. 

*Signability and bonus savings are talent issues and not need issues. It's why I won't judge a first round pick until we see what he signs for.

6 hours ago, Blarg said:

You guys remember Sean Rodriguez? Utility fielder that couldn't hit and was part of the Kazmir trade way back when. He has managed to carve out a 12 year career and make about $20 million.

Always the cheapest guy on the team but you can plug him in anywhere. He had a full season back in 2016 where he was actually good at baseball. He is back to being a utility guy. 

Point is some of these prospects that aren't so flashy may just end up playing longer than their peers with more recognition. Of all the players drafted in the third round of 2003, only Sean and Andrew Miller are still playing. Every other player flamed out years ago. 

And Andrew Miller didn't even sign that year

He's been mentioned on the hotlist, but there has to be a story behind DC Arendas.  25yo from USC (Gamecocks).  Finished in 2016 and there is no record of him playing for another team between then and now with his time in Burlington being his first stint in pro ball.  Obviously, he was never drafted.  

Didn't play a ton in college and didn't perform well.  

Hit his 6th hr today in 110 or so AB.  he hit 12 in his entire college career (486 ab).  

I know he probably doesn't amount to much, but I am curious about his path.  

Jam Jones makes a ridiculous error to extend and inning.  Jesus Castillo was laboring a bit but got a ground to the SS who threw to second for the force.  Throw was perfect.  Would have hit him in the chest but it clanked off Jones glove for the error.  Next guy hit a 3 run hr.  Jones also made a bad error ranging to his left the other day on a fairly routine play.  He hasn't looked like a 2bman during the times I've seen him this year.  Dude is having a really tough year.  

Castillo looked good otherwise.  Sinker after sinker.  A few solid curve balls.  Broadcast had him in the low 90's per the gun which is up from last year where he sat in the high 80's.  Sometimes mid 80's actually.  

So I've been lazy this year with regards to our system. It seems they've taken a step back on the position player side of things (so far) but have taken a step forward with the pitching?

Which guys have "broken out" so to speak? I've heard good things about Soriano, but that's about it. Do we have any new potential top 100 guys?

Someone give me the cliff notes.

18 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

So I've been lazy this year with regards to our system. It seems they've taken a step back on the position player side of things (so far) but have taken a step forward with the pitching?

Which guys have "broken out" so to speak? I've heard good things about Soriano, but that's about it. Do we have any new potential top 100 guys?

Mostly it's Jam Jones tripping up.  Kruger has failed to progress but he wasn't really viewed as a top end guy. 

Marsh has shown improvement and while his power is still lagging the park isn't doing him any favors.   He's being underrated a bit.  Injuries to Knowles and Adell took out two of last years risers, but that crap happens.

Imo Walsh's rise to MLB has been somewhat understated.  Rengifo has caught shit but he's actually looked like a MLB ball player and his AAA performance this year was a slight improvement on last season despite it being the cold months....

I don't think it's been regression so much as a lack of major breakouts.... But it's early and some guys have been picking it up lately.

The improvements on the pitching side are a much bigger deal to me!

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

let me help you.....

it's CliffsNotes.  

54 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

1-1 in second game.... Up to .235

I'm gonna double down on my earlier theory and I think I have a reason.  

They've been putting the swing trainer/tracker on the knob of every bat.  Not saying it's causing issues by distracting due to it's presence on the bat (although it might) but more about knowing it's there and thinking they have to make the perfect swing.  So distracting in another way.  As an aside, I saw a Marsh at bat where it came off the bat and he somewhat annoyingly chucked it off to the side.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that but he tossed it away like you'd toss a golf tee after a bad drive.  

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm gonna double down on my earlier theory and I think I have a reason.  

They've been putting the swing trainer/tracker on the knob of every bat.  Not saying it's causing issues by distracting due to it's presence on the bat (although it might) but more about knowing it's there and thinking they have to make the perfect swing.  So distracting in another way.  As an aside, I saw a Marsh at bat where it came off the bat and he somewhat annoyingly chucked it off to the side.  Maybe I'm reading too much into that but he tossed it away like you'd toss a golf tee after a bad drive.  

I think you're likely onto something...