• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

When there is no Vladito, or Acuna, or Ohtani or Trout, the difference between the #1 position playing prospect, and the #4 position playing prospect is pretty negligible. 

No argument here that Franco should be ranked #1, but I can make a pretty valid argument for Adell being #2. I won't, but I'm just saying that you can. 

The ultimate outcome of Wander Franco vs Jo Adell is star vs star.

Fangraphs has Adell third behind Franco and Royce Lewis, who I think they've really got to consider moving down after his poor 2019. They have Gore 5th (behind Whitley), Lux 9th and Robert isn't even top 10.

But yeah, after Franco I think you can debate where Adell stands. But I also understand why MLB.com has him 5th - it makes sense.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fangraphs has Adell third behind Franco and Royce Lewis, who I think they've really got to consider moving down after his poor 2019. They have Gore 5th (behind Whitley), Lux 9th and Robert isn't even top 10.

But yeah, after Franco I think you can debate where Adell stands. But I also understand why MLB.com has him 5th - it makes sense.

Baseball America still has Jo Adell #2 and I actually regard them as the best prospect evaluators out there. 

Annotation 2019-10-08 204125.png

I think if you're comparing Franco and Adell at this point, you're probably looking at a starting SS that hits .320 with 20-30 HR and 10-20 SB versus a starting outfielder that hits .280 with 30-40 HR and 20-30 SB. 

Adell's tools are louder, and Franco will probably win a batting title, but end of the day I think they'll both be 5+ win players and all-stars. Luis Robert doesn't have Adell's power or speed, but he's close, and his has manifested itself in games more consistently. So despite being ranked below Adell and Franco, Robert may end up being better than both.

4 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Someone go fetch Upton a 1st base glove 

Seriously! 

One thing I noticed with Joe Maddon (if he's hired as our manager) is that when he was with the Rays and Cubs is he prefers athletic guys in the outfield and moves guys around the field to accommodate the best lineup and defense. 

Here's hoping Marsh and Adell rake in ST and it forces the hand of the Angels to move Upton to 1B and DH when Ohtani isn't there. 

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

80bb, .300, 40 dbl, 30 hrs.  Gold glove defense.  

I would love to find out if he can do that for the Angels.  Please don't trade him.  

This is where I am... 

People forget he was a part time player with Football his primary focus until he signed.  Then he missed his first season with the back injury -- the guy is so far from a finished product and he is already so far ahead of prospects much more hyped than he is when it comes to pitch recognition and plate discipline.

I think most people view Adell as a sure thing and potential superstar, but Marsh could be that guy just one rung below that.  

I think he's been undervalued to an extent.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Seriously! 

One thing I noticed with Joe Maddon (if he's hired as our manager) is that when he was with the Rays and Cubs is he prefers athletic guys in the outfield and moves guys around the field to accommodate the best lineup and defense. 

Here's hoping Marsh and Adell rake in ST and it forces the hand of the Angels to move Upton to 1B and DH when Ohtani isn't there. 

until he puts Thaiss at 2b and Fletcher in LF.  ?

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Adell and Marsh look like they're 30 years old

Marsh looks like Jesus on the field. He had a really good game today and showed off a strong and accurate arm in left field. Held at least two runners from advancing by getting to the ball quickly and firing bullets to the cutoffs. 

Adell nearly killed a pitcher today. Took a fastball right up the middle to the pitchers middle. He staggered to the ball, picked it up then just collapsed on his ass without a throw. No real damage done but they took him out for a reliever. 

There seems to be an exaggerated keg kick in Jo's swing right now. I know it's a timing thing in his swing but he may need to cut back on it. He has a slight tendency to top the high fastball right now, pounding balls into the dirt. 

Adell does seem to have a game face on all the time but I didn't see his interaction in the dugout. Him and Marsh seem to be buddies, they leave the field together, go out in the field together. But the two of them aren't loose and joking around, they seem like it's all business out there. 

Very warm today in the low 90's in Mesa and probably hotter tomorrow at the 12:30 game time in Peoria. Going to look for some shade if there is any then catch the night game in Mesa for a double header. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Marsh looks like Jesus on the field. He had a really good game today and showed off a strong and accurate arm in left field. Held at least two runners from advancing by getting to the ball quickly and firing bullets to the cutoffs. 

Adell nearly killed a pitcher today. Took a fastball right up the middle to the pitchers middle. He staggered to the ball, picked it up then just collapsed on his ass without a throw. No real damage done but they took him out for a reliever. 

There seems to be an exaggerated keg kick in Jo's swing right now. I know it's a timing thing in his swing but he may need to cut back on it. He has a slight tendency to top the high fastball right now, pounding balls into the dirt. 

Adell does seem to have a game face on all the time but I didn't see his interaction in the dugout. Him and Marsh seem to be buddies, they leave the field together, go out in the field together. But the two of them aren't loose and joking around, they seem like it's all business out there. 

Very warm today in the low 90's in Mesa and probably hotter tomorrow at the 12:30 game time in Peoria. Going to look for some shade if there is any then catch the night game in Mesa for a double header. 

we're always looking for comps on Adell.  I've heard the Torii thing and while I agree there's some Hunter in his game, Adell's swing actually gives me an early Arod vibe.  There's more swing and miss and he's likely never going to be as good because we have no idea of what the real Arod would have been without PEDs.  But Arod learned how to shoot that high fastball to the opposite field on the line and eventually with loft and tremendous power.  Adell already has that incredible oppo power but what to do with that high pitch will be an acquired skill which he'll adjust to.  

52 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Marsh is hitting .371 so far in the Fall League. Ever since I saw it mentioned on this board I can't shake the Charlie Blackmon comp.

I think that's mostly visual: white guy with a lumbersexual vibe. Marsh has more plate discipline and is a better defender. Plus, Blackmon is at least partially a Coors product (.349 BA home, .261 away  for his career). He's probably a .280/.330/.450 type elsewhere.