• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

I think top 20 for Marsh is a tad aggressive until we start to see some of that power potential.  

The guys currently ahead of him on the OF list

Adell (3)
Pache (13)
Robert (18)
Waters (21)
Trammell (27)
Kelenic (32)
Oneil Cruz (34)
JJ Bleday (38)
Dylan Carlson (40)
George Valera (42)
CJ Abrams (43)
Julio Rodriugez (44)
Jesus Sanchez (47)
Alex Kiriloff (48)
Travis Swaggerty (50)

and a few others till Marsh at 74.  He could roll into the top 50 but I doubt he gets much higher than that unless 20-25 bombs show up at AAA this year.  

Agreed, Doc. But the potential is there. We've been waiting for that breakthrough, where he goes from B-grade "solid performer with more potential" to (possibly) taking it up an octave and true elite prospect. We'll see how it translates to AAA next year, but I expect to see him in Anaheim next year at some point.

56 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think top 20 for Marsh is a tad aggressive until we start to see some of that power potential.  

He bounces a lot of doubles off the wall and when the super ball era is behind us, Marsh is still going to be hitting doubles off the wall. The obsession with home runs devalue players that are more productive in the every day game instead of once every five or 6 games. 

Wait, who are the Marsh haters?

Anyhow, to follow from Blarg, Marsh seems like more of a line-drive hitter than a true power hitter. I do think he'll eventually hit 20+ HR a year, but I also could see him regularly hitting 40+ doubles, 5-10 triples, and 15-25 HR.

Various people have pointed out that doubles in the minors and first couple years in the majors often turn into HR as players learn to loft the ball better. Sometimes that's at the expense of BA, but with Marsh I'm hoping he doesn't do that as his OBP is going to be his most valuable contribution to the 2020s lineup.

25 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

I love talking to and hearing major league hitters talk about their plate appearances.  More often than not, you'll find them describing such details and philosophies that the everyday play in high school or college never get into or never express.  Marsh talks about hitting like he's a major league hitter.r 

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

AOC thinks? lol

She says without thinking.  Or at least that's what I surmise from the pure idiocy that spews forth from her mouth.  I'm not a Republican, or a Democrat, but AOC is just the worst.  Wrong thread for that though.  Unless she's a minor leaguer, in which case I'd recommend trading her immediately.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Wait, who are the Marsh haters?

Anyhow, to follow from Blarg, Marsh seems like more of a line-drive hitter than a true power hitter. I do think he'll eventually hit 20+ HR a year, but I also could see him regularly hitting 40+ doubles, 5-10 triples, and 15-25 HR.

Various people have pointed out that doubles in the minors and first couple years in the majors often turn into HR as players learn to loft the ball better. Sometimes that's at the expense of BA, but with Marsh I'm hoping he doesn't do that as his OBP is going to be his most valuable contribution to the 2020s lineup.

I think a guy comp for Marsh is Shawn Green. 

Green didn't hit many HR's in the minors but hit a ton of line drives and doubles. Green was incredibly athletic, some speed and a good defender in RF. 

There's been a ton of doubles machines in the minors that eventually hit for HR's in the big leagues. Sometimes, like La Stella, it takes just one simple tweak in their mechanics to hit the long ball without sacrificing their contact rate. 

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think a guy comp for Marsh is Shawn Green. 

Green didn't hit many HR's in the minors but hit a ton of line drives and doubles. Green was incredibly athletic, some speed and a good defender in RF. 

There's been a ton of doubles machines in the minors that eventually hit for HR's in the big leagues. Sometimes, like La Stella, it takes just one simple tweak in their mechanics to hit the long ball without sacrificing their contact rate. 

His name crossed my mind at one point, as well. Green was a tall, lanky guy if I remember - not nearly as built as Marsh is.

OK, checking BR, both are 6-4, but Marsh has 25 lbs on Green (215 to 190).

20 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

How is Andrew Benintendi for a Brandon Marsh offensive comp?

Another good comp as far as plate discipline, power and speed. I think Marsh will eventually hit more home runs. 

Also, Marsh is about 7 inches taller. 

The big thing I notice with Marsh is that his power is generated by his wrists and extension. So if you're going to make a comp, it has to be a player that isn't necessarily a power hitter but does have that easy sort of power. Before this year, Cody Bellinger would've made a decent comp, but he's since reached the stratosphere. Yelich a little bit with some obvious differences.

I still think Blackmon is the best comp. But the sheer fact that I've brought up Bellinger, Yelich and Blackmon as comps should speak volumes here.

Adell is the better of the two, but Marsh had begun to close the gap.

23 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The big thing I notice with Marsh is that his power is generated by his wrists and extension. So if you're going to make a comp, it has to be a player that isn't necessarily a power hitter but does have that easy sort of power. Before this year, Cody Bellinger would've made a decent comp, but he's since reached the stratosphere. Yelich a little bit with some obvious differences.

I still think Blackmon is the best comp. But the sheer fact that I've brought up Bellinger, Yelich and Blackmon as comps should speak volumes here.

Adell is the better of the two, but Marsh had begun to close the gap.

I think Adell has a higher ceiling, but right now, I would call Marsh the more complete player.  I feel like there's still that lingering thought with Adell that it could take him longer to adjust and he won't be the full package for a few years.  That's worst case mind you.  Yet with Marsh, I think he could be a consistent major leaguer by mid 2020.