• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

59 minutes ago, ettin said:

To be fair what types of trades were even being discussed to move such a good prospect in the first place? It is not exactly like we have been winning and needed an upgrade lately. But yes Marsh is shining right now.

I don't have many connections left, but the ones I do have seen you be fairly entrenched in their roles. Marsh was a NON-STARTER in all negotiations. This was believed to be floated industry-wide.

What I'm saying is that the Angels had the opportunity to acquire young starting pitching and choose not to because they wouldn't trade Marsh.

If Eppler does trade him this winter, it will be because his job as the GM is on the line.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I don't have many connections left, but the ones I do have seen you be fairly entrenched in their roles. Marsh was a NON-STARTER in all negotiations. This was believed to be floated industry-wide.

What I'm saying is that the Angels had the opportunity to acquire young starting pitching and choose not to because they wouldn't trade Marsh.

If Eppler does trade him this winter, it will be because his job as the GM is on the line.

Meaning, if he misses out on Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler etc, and gets into a desperate position where he needs to make a trade for a Ray or Boyd--because then his job will be on the line.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I really hope and don't think job security will weigh heavily on his decision making process.  Pretty sure he could get another GM job pretty quick should Arte let him go.  Hell, Dipoto got another job right away.  

What could matter though is if Arte get anxious and forces his hand.  I don't think that's gonna happen though.  I think they'll stay the course.  

Don't forget, Arte still has Stoneman chirping in his ear as a special adviser. 

Not to mention that we haven't heard any grumblings about strife between Arte and Eppler. The only thing we're going on, as far as I know, is the one-year extension, which tells us something, I guess, but maybe not as much as people assume (meaning, I don't think it is "playoff berth or you're done, Billy." I think it is "Signs of serious improvement or we're considering other options, Billy.")

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Meaning, if he misses out on Cole, Strasburg, Wheeler etc, and gets into a desperate position where he needs to make a trade for a Ray or Boyd--because then his job will be on the line.

Exactly. And that's an actual scenario that carries some likelihood in it. I can picture the following scenario playing out.

The Angels make an aggressive push early on for Cole, but Boras instead will wait it out until teams get desperate later in the off-season. The Angels pivot and inquire on Stephen Strasburg, but there asking price is too high. Angels then ask about Ryu and Boras will be pushing for a five year deal which is just ludicrous. They'll make a very competitive offer on Wheeler just like they did with Corbin, but he'll opt to go a different direction. Hamels is a deal that would sort of just fall into their lap, but he only makes sense as a third option. Eppler will keep tabs on the Cole-Strasburg-Ryu market, but as the calendar turns to January the likelihood of him missing out on a the premier arm this team needs will become tangible and Eppler will do what any GM with their job on the line would do. Panic and end up trading Marsh and then done for a Robbie Ray type. Then at the end of January, he'll make one final offer on Cole and shore himself the premier pitcher on the market.

He'll be lauded for his aggressive spending this winter, but it'll take a toll. The Angels will have what they need, but will end up spending 50 million a year plus prospects to get it.

I hope that doesn't happen, but it is a possibility.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Exactly. And that's an actual scenario that carries some likelihood in it. I can picture the following scenario playing out.

The Angels make an aggressive push early on for Cole, but Boras instead will wait it out until teams get desperate later in the off-season. The Angels pivot and inquire on Stephen Strasburg, but there asking price is too high. Angels then ask about Ryu and Boras will be pushing for a five year deal which is just ludicrous. They'll make a very competitive offer on Wheeler just like they did with Corbin, but he'll opt to go a different direction. Hamels is a deal that would sort of just fall into their lap, but he only makes sense as a third option. Eppler will keep tabs on the Cole-Strasburg-Ryu market, but as the calendar turns to January the likelihood of him missing out on a the premier arm this team needs will become tangible and Eppler will do what any GM with their job on the line would do. Panic and end up trading Marsh and then done for a Robbie Ray type. Then at the end of January, he'll make one final offer on Cole and shore himself the premier pitcher on the market.

He'll be lauded for his aggressive spending this winter, but it'll take a toll. The Angels will have what they need, but will end up spending 50 million a year plus prospects to get it.

I hope that doesn't happen, but it is a possibility.

I'd give you a Debbie Downer if this wasn't a real possibility, but I've had similar thoughts (for some reason Marsh for Boyd seems quite possible). I suppose at least the Angels would have Cole and Ray/Boyd, and then might be able to afford Grandal. 

13 hours ago, Second Base said:

I agree that the Angels severely overpaid. But I'm willing to give Stassi another look next year. I get the feeling there's a lot more offense there than anyone has seen yet. If he his like he's capable of, he can be a VERY good starting catcher. 

But as of right now, that has to go down as one of Eppler's dumbest moves in my opinion. It's not Pestano for Clevinger dumb, but it's really dumb. Pestano for Clevinger is the equivalent of trading Chris Rodriguez or Jose Soriano for Luis Garcia.

Or the Tigers trading Smoltz to Atlanta for Doyle Alexander?

46 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I really hope and don't think job security will weigh heavily on his decision making process.  Pretty sure he could get another GM job pretty quick should Arte let him go.  Hell, Dipoto got another job right away.  

What could matter though is if Arte get anxious and forces his hand.  I don't think that's gonna happen though.  I think they'll stay the course.  

Don't forget, Arte still has Stoneman chirping in his ear as a special adviser. 

Then hold on to the prospects? 😄

16 hours ago, Second Base said:

Right now, Eppler is looking like a genius for not being willing to discuss Marsh in any trades. Teams knew about his potential before, but scouts are seeing it all come together in the AFL and have to be salivating. 

The personalities are completely different, but I think you're seeing a young Josh Hamilton in Brandon Marsh.

You keep saying this, but that's not what Eppler said.  Clearly based on this quote, Adell was the only one not made available.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-07-31/angels-max-stassi-trade-catcher-astros-deadline-pitching-tigers

“We were open to moving” prospects, Eppler said. “Just about every one of them, but one, was talked about in some form or another.”

It's important to not make everyone untouchable.   But also, it's important to keep a solid core of prospects going forward.

Stoneman did seemingly make every prospect untouchable.   And conversely, Dumbpoto did seemingly want to trade them all away.

Time for the much needed happy balance!   Andddd, DO NOT trade Adell or Marsh.

40 minutes ago, ADHB said:

You keep saying this, but that's not what Eppler said.  Clearly based on this quote, Adell was the only one not made available.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-07-31/angels-max-stassi-trade-catcher-astros-deadline-pitching-tigers

“We were open to moving” prospects, Eppler said. “Just about every one of them, but one, was talked about in some form or another.”

Yup, that's what he reported to the LAT.

1 hour ago, ADHB said:

What if that one is Brandon Marsh. 👀

Hey guys, if you click on the "Future Angels" (watch out, here comes bat boy) link in the navigation menu bar under the header logo I have a page designed just for our prospects content. 

Check it out: https://www.angelswin.com/future-angels/

@Angelsjunky, @totdprods, @Second Base, @Dochalo, @Dave Saltzer and gang, this is where our minor league content will be routed to from now on, in addition to the forum here for discussion. 

FutureAngelsPage.png

Don't forget Ken Rosenthal reported in an article earlier in the year for The Athletic that the Angels are high on Marsh and IF they were willing to part with him, they could land any starting pitcher they wanted. Sounds like the Angels prefer to keep Marsh here and will only be shopped as an emergency if we struck out on the available free agent pitchers. 

If the Angels were willing to trade Marsh, they probably could land any starting pitcher they wanted. But why force the issue?

Marsh, 21, is three years younger than the average player in the Southern League, but his .810 OPS is 100 points higher than the league average for qualifying hitters, according to Inside Edge. The Angels consider him perhaps their best defensive outfielder in the minors. Even if they could acquire three-plus years of Boyd, who is good but not Jacob deGrom-good, it would be difficult for the Angels, in their current state, to justify parting with a potential All-Star.”

20 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Don't forget Ken Rosenthal reported in an article earlier in the year for The Athletic that the Angels are high on Marsh and IF they were willing to part with him, they could land any starting pitcher they wanted. Sounds like the Angels prefer to keep Marsh here and will only be shopped as an emergency if we struck out on the available free agent pitchers. 

Also makes sense for them to hold onto some of their bullets until the 2020 deadline. I imagine they'll spend big this winter. Maybe it will be enough, and two arms and some health are really all we need, and Eppler can hold onto his prospects. 

Maybe the hired hands are good enough to right the ship, but there's still pressure to win now come July...then perhaps it's easier to look into dealing Marsh. Or Jones. Or Adams. Or any number of minor-leaguers who could break out for the team. 

I have a lot of faith in the youngsters and think we could be in for a nice surprise in 2020. Rengifo, Thaiss, Walsh, Suarez...all it takes is one of these guys breaking out coupled with some good luck and a FA or two, and things can change very quickly.