• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia Would Like to Continue Managing

ettin

I'm fine with bringing him back. Scioscia isn't perfect, far from it. But I don't think he's a detriment to the team which is what you're really looking for. I think I've said this before, but Mike strikes me not so much as a winner as much as he isn't a loser. He's isn't in Maddon or Francona's class but he isn't the worst either. 

And ultimately, I'm just not sure a manager makes that big of a difference. Look what how the Dodgers, Red Sox and Yanks have done the past couple years with inexperienced managers. I think their role is ultimately to build a cohesive, winning environment. Scioscia is probably the best in the business as creating that culture of togetherness. Sometimes I wonder if pushing the "turn the page" mantra leads to players not pushing themselves to succeed as more challenging managers might, but I'm guessing whatever Scioscia's doing, he's doing it right.

Yeah, he sucks at managing a bullpen, has a slow hook on pitchers, and can write some questionable lineups. But like all other managers, Scioscia is only as good as what he's given to work with. He doesn't take winners and make them losers, or vice versa. The only truly weak spot in my opinion is his inability to choose the right option in relief, but as 2014 and 2004-2009 showed us, if you pack the bullpen with enough shut down options, Scioscia won't screw it up. 

So I'm fine with bringing him back. 

I think you can appreciate what Scioscia has brought to this organization and still feel like it’s very much time for a change - both for him and the team. 

So,  my take is, if Scioscia’s back next season, I’ll mostly be disappointed. I feel like bringing Sosh back is business as usual, which, for the last 4 years has been pretty bad. They haven’t won a playoff game in a really long time. I don’t blame all that on Scioscia, not even most if it, but I think the team needs a change. Hopefully whoever makes this decision feels the same way. 

Now that the 10 year security blanket is done, they have the option to bring him in year to year with the understanding that they want things done their way on the field. This way you get the leadership and steady clubhouse and still get to implement your new system. I’m not advocating this but just pointing to the possibility 

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

Now that the 10 year security blanket is done, they have the option to bring him in year to year with the understanding that they want things done their way on the field. This way you get the leadership and steady clubhouse and still get to implement your new system. I’m not advocating this but just pointing to the possibility 

What new system do they want to implement that they aren’t ? Please elaborate 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

I'm fine with bringing him back. Scioscia isn't perfect, far from it. But I don't think he's a detriment to the team which is what you're really looking for. I think I've said this before, but Mike strikes me not so much as a winner as much as he isn't a loser. He's isn't in Maddon or Francona's class but he isn't the worst either. 

And ultimately, I'm just not sure a manager makes that big of a difference. Look what how the Dodgers, Red Sox and Yanks have done the past couple years with inexperienced managers. I think their role is ultimately to build a cohesive, winning environment. Scioscia is probably the best in the business as creating that culture of togetherness. Sometimes I wonder if pushing the "turn the page" mantra leads to players not pushing themselves to succeed as more challenging managers might, but I'm guessing whatever Scioscia's doing, he's doing it right.

Yeah, he sucks at managing a bullpen, has a slow hook on pitchers, and can write some questionable lineups. But like all other managers, Scioscia is only as good as what he's given to work with. He doesn't take winners and make them losers, or vice versa. The only truly weak spot in my opinion is his inability to choose the right option in relief, but as 2014 and 2004-2009 showed us, if you pack the bullpen with enough shut down options, Scioscia won't screw it up. 

So I'm fine with bringing him back. 

As a long time scout of managers and managing philosophies I’ve gathered that Terry Francona has 2 titles with an absolute beast of a team in Boston and hasn’t won since. And the wizard of the Rays and Cubs has 1 title managing. The same as our beloved manager. Despite the fact the Cubs have a hefty payroll and lots of young talent one of the if not the best gm in all of baseball put together. As I’ve talked to thousands of managers past and future we’ve all gathered that turning the page is strictly a media thing because it’s boring and doesn’t kill the players. You ever heard of Bill B over in New England probably the greatest coach in NFL history? The guy has the most boring post game news conferences of all time, and yet he’s won more titles than anyone in NFL history. What fans want is a yelling buffoon after bad games which is just dumb. How many titles has Lou Pinella won? (I guess I was wrong he has 1 damn you @mulwin444 :) ) For you kids counting at home he won zero even though the guy was batshit crazy sometimes. Baseball managers don’t win you or lose you many games over the course of a long ass season. The best teams put together by the best gms more times than not will win you titles. Get better players and surpringsly you’ll see the Angels win more games. This has been your own manager scouting services checking out. The end. 

9 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

As a long time scout of managers and managing philosophies I’ve gathered that Terry Francona has 2 titles with an absolute beast of a team in Boston and hasn’t won since. And the wizard of the Rays and Cubs has 1 title managing. The same as our beloved manager. Despite the fact the Cubs have a hefty payroll and lots of young talent one of the if not the best gm in all of baseball put together. As I’ve talked to thousands of managers past and future we’ve all gathered that turning the page is strictly a media thing because it’s boring and doesn’t kill the players. You ever heard of Bill B over in New England probably the greatest coach in NFL history? The guy has the most boring post game news conferences of all time, and yet he’s won more titles than anyone in NFL history. What fans want is a yelling buffoon after bad games which is just dumb. How many titles has Lou Pinella won? For you kids counting at home he won zero even though the guy was batshit crazy sometimes. Baseball managers don’t win you or lose you many games over the course of a long ass season. The best teams put together by the best gms more times than not will win you titles. Get better players and surpringsly you’ll see the Angels win more games. This has been your own manager scouting services checking out. The end. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/1990.shtml

WOMP-womp