• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Calhoun the starting Rf next year?

Vlad27Trout27

So what do we do?

1. Sign a one year gap guy? ( Jay, Jones, McCucthen, Martins)

2. Go all in, sign Harper or Pollock 

3. Trdae ( Who's available? )

4. Stick with Calhoun, and if he struggles than release the Blash ( Oh Help us), or Hermosillo.

My option is 1, we sign someone like Jay, than hope either Adell or Marsh is ready following year.  

16 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Adell, if he keeps on the learning curve he has this season could be ready as early as mid season next year. At the very least starting full time in 2020. So blowing money on Bryce Harper is out of the equation.

I think marsh could also rise really quickly too, he had an BABIP of over ,350 in A+.

Below are his stats from A+

image.png.a37fcaf81e4e261716be96031e51236c.png

Last 65 games, he's  put up solid numbers, especially considering this was his first full year!

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I think marsh could also rise really quickly too, he had an BABIP of over ,350 in A+, that solid for his struggles and a bit unlucky. 

Below are his stats from A+

image.png.a37fcaf81e4e261716be96031e51236c.png

Last 65 games, he out up solid numbers, especially considering this was his first full year!

A .350 BABIP implies an extreme amount of luck.

19 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

So what do we do?

1. Sign a one year gap guy? ( Jay, Jones, McCucthen, Martins)

2. Go all in, sign Harper or Pollock 

3. Trdae ( Who's available? )

4. Stick with Calhoun, and if he struggles than release the Blash ( Oh Help us), or Hermosillo.

My option is 1, we sign someone like Jay, than hope either Adell or Marsh is ready following year.  

Personally I would try to trade Calhoun and sign Harper or just a one year stop gap. If Adell turns into what we think he is than move him to left and put Upton at 1st or Harper at 1st. 

Kinda hard to say because his trade value will be really weird. 
You'd need to find a team that really values defense and isn't satisfied with the dearth of affordable corner outfielders who likely stand a chance at putting up comparable production without having to trade assets for Kole. 

That said, I think there are two comparable trades we can refer to:

1) The Morales for Vargas trade - two pending vet FAs who fill a need, maybe to save one team a few bucks. 
Glancing at next offseason's FA list, the only SPs who seem like they'd be equitable to Calhoun in a trade are...

• Andrew Cashner = $9.5m in '19, $10m vesting option for '20 (in '18, 28 GS, 153 IP, 79 ERA+, 5.29 ERA, 5.32 FIP)
  • Shelby Miller = 11.40 ERA in 4 games this year, battling injury, arb-eligible one more season...some upside, and Arizona may need help if Pollock walks, but not nearly as dependable as we'd need to return in a Calhoun trade
  • Clayton Richard = he'll be 35 and has a 5.33 ERA in the NL West in 27 GS. FIP is more favorable with 4.67, but still don't see it, unless he wasn't the primary piece
  • Tanner Roark = 4.34 in 31 GS for Washington, who may have a need in RF if Harper walks. Solid, average, could be a target if the Nationals have someone in-house or an offseason target that'd bump him
  • Jason Vargas himself fits the criteria, but he's been awful, injured, and is another LH SP, which I don't really see the Angels prioritizing

So, not much. The next tier of options that could be an equitable match would be pricey vet RPs, think Jim Johnson types. They are plentiful, and would likely represent more of a salary dump for the Halos, and likely only if they're making a sizable upgrade in the line-up (be it Harper, Machado, etc.)

• Juan Nicasio, Louis Coleman, David Hernandez, Jared Hughes, Wily Peralta, Anthony Swarzak

2) The Cron for Rengifo trade - Eppler and Co. have identified a prospect they really, really like on another team and, again, Calhoun is being squeezed out in favor of a huge upgrade, need to clear salary ASAP, and they found a team interested who has a prospect they're ready to sacrifice. 

I'm expecting Kole in RF next year, hitting lead-off. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

His OPS since changing his swing is .790.

MLB avg OPS in RF is .768.

What is his OPS with the new swing on Tuesdays against lefties?

Lets get real.  Calhoun's OPS this year is .649, he showed he is capable of being literally the worst hitter in baseball, and his lifetime OPS is .738, which firmly shows he is below average.

If the Angels want to improve the offense, Calhoun needs to worry about having a job next year.

It'd be totally bonkers, and I don't know exactly how I'd feel about it, but signing Harper makes as much sense as signing Hamilton did.

He has an OBP of .409 over the last four seasons. Put him in front of Trout and Ohtani and you have arguably the three best offensive players in baseball atop the '19 lineup - and Simmons and Upton.

Adell or Marsh could then easily turn into trade bait for a cost-controlled front-line starter...between one or two of them, plus any combo of Rengifo, Ward, Thaiss, Fletcher, maybe Suarez, I'd think you'd be in good shape to pry away someone like deGrom, Syndergaard, Taillon, Bumgarner.

Harper would come back to the West, Arte would have insane marketing clout/hype to push, his age keeps him in the future plans, and he's an in-house replacement should Trout walk. 

RF Harper, CF Trout, DH Ohtani, LF Upton, 1B Pujols, SS Simmons, 3B Cozart, C literally anyone, 2B Fletcher
SP: Frontline Trade, Skaggs, Shoemaker, Heaney, Barria