• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Calhoun the starting Rf next year?

Vlad27Trout27

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If I’m going to “go for it,” I’d pay whatever the prospect price is for Realmuto. He is a one of kind player at a position the Angels have no one. 

Carry on....

I think it would be a good move and the Angels have the prospect currency to get it done.  Question becomes how ridiculous the Marlins demands for him end up being...

I can see the Marlins asking for Adell as part of a bigger package...do you make a deal for Realmuto that includes Adell?  I don't think I would, personally but think we could counter with a competitive package.

What about signing Donaldson and McCutcheon, instead of Machado? Probably would be for less money, combined, and you wouldn't be stuck with a long-term contract with a no-trade clause, in case Machado struggles in Anaheim. Donaldson and Cutch might be had for two year contracts with an option year. No draft picks lost for either, I dont believe.

We'd have a big bat behind Trout, Ohtani (Donaldson) and we have a leadoff hitter (Cutch) with a high OBP in front of them. Good speed at the top of the lineup.

Then, get creative for bullpen help and a starter. Leave catcher alone. Hope Fernandez hits enough to displace at lot of Albert ABs, in a platoon. 

Infield depth solved. Cozart/Fletch at 2nd, both of whom can play 2nd, SS, 3rd. Fernandez who can play 1st, 2nd or 3rd and platoon with Albert at first. Calhoun becomes a platoon in RF with Cutch and/or a late inning defensive replacement for Upton's dreaded glove. Kole can handle LF.

Kole aint going away, with that contract, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If I’m going to “go for it,” I’d pay whatever the prospect price is for Realmuto. He is a one of kind player at a position the Angels have no one. 

Carry on....

I wouldn't if it means Adell. Realmuto is definitely the guy as far as young catchers go but I think overall Adell moves the needle more as the future right fielder. Now if you can convince the Marlins to take pair not named Adell you have to pull the trigger.

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think they can make the playoffs in 2019.

so do I.  I think if almost everything goes right they can grab a wild card spot.  

does your scenario include trading away a bunch of prospects to make the mlb team better which could potentially damage the future?  Or do you think they can do it without that?  

do you think it's worth it considering their competition within the division?  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Your post is correct in many ways and I agree for the most part.  The big thing that you're failing to consider is the financial impact of adding a player at $30 mil per season.  

it can't do a couple of important things.  1. limit our ability to extend Trout.  2.  Limit our ability to extend Simmons.  3.  And probably most importantly, that if we do 1 and 2 while having Machado, limit our ability to supplement in other areas.  Those three players are likely going to cost nearly $100 mil per season.  Add upton to that and it's $120 mil for four position players.  

Leaving $80 mil for the rest of the team assuming payroll would be about $200 mil.  You could probably piece that together if everything goes right.  

But when has everything gone right.  What if upton sucks that year? What if Adell doesn't pan out as expected? What if the pitching staff continues to be decimated by injury?  

Point is, Machado is a go for move.  Are you confident that it's time to go for it?  I'm not.  But maybe you don't have the opportunity to get a Machado 3 yrs from now, so you make the move.  

But as and odds play, it feels premature.  

I will just address a couple quick things:

I don't buy into the "don't fix this part of the roster because then you may not be able to address other needs."

I don't see that this would impact being able to afford a Trout extension.  He already makes $34m a year.

I don't think it is ever premature to aquire a 26 year old stud player (Is it premature to have Mike Trout on this team?).

It is not that it is time to go for it. It is time to make a strategic move that makes this team better immediately and well into the future and that doesn't disrupt any part of the youth movement.

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think they can make the playoffs in 2019.

You might be right.............but only by two teams in the AL West likely to be weaker next year. Seattle mortgaged their future and might lose Cruz. OAK has so many starting pitchers either on the DL or only signed through 2018. Rodney and Familia are probably gone, too. This is OAK year to make hay, from a pitching standpoint. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

I wouldn't if it means Adell. Realmuto is definitely the guy as far as young catchers go but I think overall Adell moves the needle more as the future right fielder. Now if you can convince the Marlins to take pair not named Adell you have to pull the trigger.

I agree with this. 

If Im the Angels I’m looking at my farm system as having “one big bullet.” You can trade away some combo of 2-3 players other than Adell to get a premium controllable player. One shot. Otherwise, it’s free agency and secondary trades. 

It’s up to Eppler to determine which is the best shot to take.

Again, that’s my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

so do I.  I think if almost everything goes right they can grab a wild card spot.  

does your scenario include trading away a bunch of prospects to make the mlb team better which could potentially damage the future?  Or do you think they can do it without that?  

I think the Angels can make the 2019 playoffs with Machado and not trading away prospects.

I don't believe the pitching staff would be particularly well suited to go deep into the postseason but I am OK with that if it means keeping all the best prospects that would be critical for the next few years thereafter.

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

My “one bullet” scenario from my other reply is my compromise between standing pat and shredding the farm system to go “all in.” I think their talent, and the caliber of the other teams, warrants them taking a middle road with the farm system. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

My “one bullet” scenario from my other reply is my compromise between standing pat and shredding the farm system to go “all in.” I think their talent, and the caliber of the other teams, warrants them taking a middle road with the farm system. 

Realmuto is clearly a valuable strategic piece.  I am very interested if the price is correct and fair.  What does that mean?  Well we all might disagree.

I can tell you I wouldn't build a package around Adell.  More like, here are two premium prospects not named Adell and then keep adding names ranked lower than the top dozen until they accept.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I will just address a couple quick things:

I don't buy into the "don't fix this part of the roster because then you may not be able to address other needs."

I don't see that this would impact being able to afford a Trout extension.  He already makes $34m a year.

I don't think it is ever premature to aquire a 26 year old stud player (Is it premature to have Mike Trout on this team?).

It is not that it is time to go for it. It is time to make a strategic move that makes this team better immediately and well into the future and that doesn't disrupt any part of the youth movement.

My post assumes a Trout extension, but fair enough.  I don't totally disagree btw.  The team will make that move at some point.  I really think Machado could be that player.  It's feels a little early, but it's hard to say whether we have a shot at a player of his age and caliber 2-3 years from now.  

It seems like an Eppler move actually.  Go after the special player because he's available.  Exactly what he did with Simmons.  

Here's a fun lineup if they can acquire Realmuto without giving up Adell or Canning.  Let's say it's Marsh, Suarez, Soriano and Ward.  And they sign Machado.  

Calhoun
Trout
Machado
Ohtani
Upton
Realmuto
Pujols
Simmons
Cozart

bench - Arcia, JMF, Fletcher, FA 4th OFer

rotation - Skaggs, Heaney, FA, Shoe, Barria, Pena

pen - Parker, Anderson, Alvarez, Buttrey, Robles, Cole 

or you put JMF in the minors and your 4th OFer can also play 1b so you can sign an extra pen arm.  

that lineup would be one of the best in baseball and likely overcome any pitching deficiencies.  

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What if your "One Bullet" can get you either Realmuto or a #1 pitcher like DeGrom?  

There are options available in free agency for both catcher (Grandal, Ramos) and SP (Keuchal, Corbin) but nothing of Realmuto's or DeGrom's caliber.  If you could trade for one position and sign for one position, which way would you go?

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

What if your "One Bullet" can get you either Realmuto or a #1 pitcher like DeGrom?  

There are options available in free agency for both catcher (Grandal, Ramos) and SP (Keuchal, Corbin) but nothing of Realmuto's or DeGrom's caliber.  If you could trade for one position and sign for one position, which way would you go?

I’d take deGrom, but I don’t think the price will be comparable. I think deGrom will cost even more because the Mets will be less motivated than the Marlins to move the player. 

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’d take deGrom, but I don’t think the price will be comparable. I think deGrom will cost even more because the Mets will be less motivated than the Marlins to move the player. 

Yeah, just reviewing the rosters of teams that may have a thought of rebuilding in 2019 gives you an appreciation for how rare a DeGrom-like pitcher is in terms of availability.  Like you said, the Mets are likely not real motivated to move DeGrom since they also have Syndegaard, Matz, and Wheeler for next season.  Red Sox have Sale, Yankees have Severino, and Rays have Snell but the rest of their respective rotations are filled with "pretty good" to decent" but nothing Ace-like.  The Indians rotation is quite ridiculous with Kluber, Bauer, Clevinger and Carrasco and, with the state of the AL Central, none are likely to be available anytime soon.  In the AL West, the two that stand out the most are on the same team - Cole and Verlander - and Houston really did a good job, along with a having a little luck on health, in acquiring someone like JV just before the playoff last season and someone like Cole before this season.  They saw their window and maximized their opportunity to win. 

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wait a year and substitute Arenado, and 100% agree.   Would then mean going over tax threshold for only 2020-2021, and then Pujols falls off of the payroll.   Heck, they could even trade Upton after 2020 if Marsh is ready, and free up about half of Upton's salary for 2021-2022.   Upton is in his mid 30s by 2021.

That should then still avoid lost draft picks (other than 2nd rounder in June 2020) and lost int'l money. 

Yeah, this is me too.  
Arenado over Machado,
My master plan at this point is to sign Harper, trade for Realmuto as Jeff Fletcher suggested, and then go get Arenado next off season if we cant swing both trades.  As long as it doesnt cost Adell, do it.  Adell takes over likely for Upton when the time comes since hes still a good couple years out likely so thats not a huge roadblock and we have an OF of Trout/Harper.Adell for a decade (assuming we extend Trout).
We could win the west with our current pitching staff with those moves IMO.   
Im a huge Calhoun fan, always have been, but Harper is Harper and those guys dont hit FA often. 

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

For me, its the Realmuto all day long.  Every day versus every 5 days.  He may be the one guy i listen on Adell for right now.
Its go big or go home time kids, fill in the blanks around Trout, or trade Trout, those are you realistic choices. 

Sidenote, DeGrom had a Cy Young year on a bad Mets team, how much difference did he make there exactly?   why would he make us all that much better or different?  

31 minutes ago, floplag said:

For me, its the Realmuto all day long.  Every day versus every 5 days.  He may be the one guy i listen on Adell for right now.
Its go big or go home time kids, fill in the blanks around Trout, or trade Trout, those are you realistic choices. 

Sidenote, DeGrom had a Cy Young year on a bad Mets team, how much difference did he make there exactly?   why would he make us all that much better or different?  

We had Trout and his 10 WAR and how much difference did he make here exactly?   Why would he make us all that much better or different if he was still here? 

You can really say that about Realmuto if he was here now or next season...day in and day out he's a 4 WAR player so how much difference would he make when you are 20+ games out?

DeGrom is elite while Realmuto is a unique talent that is borderline...you could likely get Realmuto without Adell but you would not be able to get DeGrom without Adell.

Looking at the two, the team would be better with DeGrom pitching 5th day than Realmuto playing 75% to 80% of the time (as a catcher, he would not play everyday) the only difference is acquiring Realmuto is a more realistic scenario given the current reality.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

How do you define “heavy”?

Personally I think this team needs upgrades at 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Catcher and an ace type starting pitcher. We are all well aware of bullpen fluctuating from good to bad year to year. So I wouldn't touch the bullpen. But that's what I would define as heavy and that's not even calculating if Calhoun is garbage or good Calhoun next year. So I guess heavy I would define as those 4 positions.