• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Calhoun the starting Rf next year?

Vlad27Trout27

It is regression but also it is straying from what made him successful after his DL stint. As you pointed out in the article his strikeouts are up, walks down and his batted ball exit velocity is almost 5mph faster.

To me, sitting in the stands and watching, he is gone back to over swinging to try and launch every pitch. A little confidence from his swing change did him no good that I can see, he is back to being over agressive instead of making controlled contact.

So regression but not in the normal baseball terminology that would say a player either returns to career norms or starts to decrease in production due to aging.

This is regressing to old habits. In short, it's between his ears not the chalk lines.

The bottom line to me is that as of today he is still the best option we have.  WE got a look at all the close to ML ready guys this year and none of them held up either.
As of right now he is our RF on opening day 19.  
A lot can happen in a few months, but barring something large I dont see that changing. 
The pieces are there is the org wants to go bold, but im not expecting them to. 

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

To me the bottom line is that you have to prioritize which holes you can fill, since you can’t fill them all, and he’s not the biggest hole. 

it's also important to consider how and when you can fill that hole should it become larger.  I am confident that the 4th OF option will also help bridge the gap to Adell should it all go wrong.  

I'm much less confident in our current potential SP depth and their ability to provide more quality innings than this year.  

21 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Doesn't Daniel Murphy give the Angels something that really fits and helps?

Mostly 2B but can also play 1B when Pujols announces he has been playing hurt and needs a routine surgery so he can come back to 2020 spring training in the best shape of his life.

Daniel Murphy?

From what i heard on TV today the guy has literally no legs left.   Im not sure that gives me the warm and fuzzies

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

To me the bottom line is that you have to prioritize which holes you can fill, since you can’t fill them all, and he’s not the biggest hole. 

If Cole starts off next season like this season, there is a chance that Adell could be ready to take his place a couple months into the season. And Cole could be the 4th of'er.

13 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

If Cole starts off next season like this season, there is a chance that Adell could be ready to take his place a couple months into the season. And Cole could be the 4th of'er.

That’s also true. Not only is Calhoun not the biggest issue, but he plays the position at which the Angels have their best internal answer. 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Doesn't Daniel Murphy give the Angels something that really fits and helps?

Mostly 2B but can also play 1B when Pujols announces he has been playing hurt and needs a routine surgery so he can come back to 2020 spring training in the best shape of his life.

Daniel Murphy?

I would be all for signing him if you can get him on a reasonable one or two year deal.  Lefty with some pop and can play adequate defense.