• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Calhoun the starting Rf next year?

Vlad27Trout27

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

My big appeal with Harper is OBP/BB. 
Machado's career high in walks is 70, averaging 52 a season, with an OBP of .335.
Realmuto's career high in walks is 38, averaging 37 a season. with an OBP of .328.
Harper's career high in walks is 126+, averaging 102 a season, with an OBP of .387. 

Harper seems to have a great season every other year, so next season he could win the MVP.

2 hours ago, Mark68 said:

Our overall team is better than the Mets. Of course, they have 9 players on the 60-day DL, including some of their best hitters (Cespedes, d'Arnaud, Lagares). It's not deGrom's fault the Mets suck.

Imagine if the Angels had lost Trout, Ohtani & Upton to the 60-day DL this year...

how is that different than literally the entire starting rotation and then some?  

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

So yeah, I do expect that the Angels will upgrade in RF. I don't think they'll spend big money or invest many years into RF as much as I think they'll be looking at a one, maybe two year fix until Jo Adell arrives.

I doubt that anyone other than Kole starts in RF next season... Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, corner IFs, and Catcher and we're good to go.

Just now, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I doubt that anyone other than Kole starts in RF next season... Pitching, Pitching, Pitching, corner IFs, and Catcher and we're good to go.

and what pray tell do you do with the glut of SP we already have exactly?  It isnt a position of weakness.  No they arent a crop of aces but  we have literally like 8 of them that will battle for rotation time next year, none of which are likely bullpen guys. 

13 minutes ago, floplag said:

and what pray tell do you do with the glut of SP we already have exactly?  It isnt a position of weakness.  No they arent a crop of aces but  we have literally like 8 of them that will battle for rotation time next year, none of which are likely bullpen guys. 

We had 9/10 starters last season, how did that turn out. I don't have much faith in most of our pitchers. Skaggs maybe OK, maybe not. Heaney can be good but can also suck at times. Shoemaker is what he is. Barria is a good third/forth SP. Richards is gone, Tropeano was never healthy. Ohtani is not going to pitch next season. Our bullpen was awful so whoever doesn't make the rotation could pitch there.

We need 0ne solid TOR pitcher that can be counted on to take the ball on his turn every turn next season, that hasn't happened in 3 years running.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Donaldson really? He will be 33, often injured. I not only say no, but hell no...

Anyone can get injured, at any age. Manny missed the last week of September in 2013 and the first month of 2014, when he had to undergo knee surgery when he was 21. If it had occurred in April of 2013, he would have missed the whole season. Recovery time on that was 8 months.

Donaldson has basically missed one whole season in his career, if you add up his games missed in 2017 -18.

I'd rather have a potential injury to a guy who might earn 10-15 mil on a short contract than a guy who might earn 30 mil on a long term contract. 

Besides, we cant keep Machado AND Trout AND Simmons AND fix the pitching. Not with Arte's purse strings.

And we dont know if Machado will agree to be a permanent third baseman. Sure, he subbed for Turner, but that was short term.

Who else is there except Machado or Donaldson? Marwin Gonzalez? Beltre?

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Harper seems to have a great season every other year, so next season he could win the MVP.

He has also drawn 100 walks the last four years (well, 68 one year in 111 games, but he was on pace) with an OBP of .460, 373, .413, .391 the last four years.

That’d be incredibly potent in front of Trout, Ohtani, and Upton. He could either lead-off, or you could stick someone like Simmons ahead of him to give him RBI opps as well.

Between Harper, Trout, and Ohtani you may have a combined trio with an OBP of .425 hitting ahead of Upton (hopefully his RISP struggles reverse), Pujols (who seemingly can only hit with RISP) and possibly high contact Simmons. That’s about the best recipe for run production any MLB team could cook up.

21 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Anyone can get injured, at any age. Manny missed the last week of September in 2013 and the first month of 2014, when he had to undergo knee surgery when he was 21. If it had occurred in April of 2013, he would have missed the whole season. Recovery time on that was 8 months.

Donaldson has basically missed one whole season in his career, if you add up his games missed in 2017 -18.

I'd rather have a potential injury to a guy who might earn 10-15 mil on a short contract than a guy who might earn 30 mil on a long term contract. 

Besides, we cant keep Machado AND Trout AND Simmons AND fix the pitching. Not with Arte's purse strings.

And we dont know if Machado will agree to be a permanent third baseman. Sure, he subbed for Turner, but that was short term.

Who else is there except Machado or Donaldson? Marwin Gonzalez? Beltre?

Kemp

the eye dancing GIF

This pretty much changes on a weekly basis, but what I'm picturing the Angels doing this year is Signing Donaldson to something like 3 years 45 million and moving Cozart to second base and Fletcher to utility infielder, signing Nick Markakis for one year 12 million and a team option at 13 million, trading Calhoun (and cash), and Thaiss, Jones and Chris Rodriguez to the Marlins for J.T. Realmuto.  Then signing Dallas Kuechel for four years 70 million. 

They'll spend a lot of money up front, but it'll be shorter term deals that more or less match the time Trout is here. 

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He has also drawn 100 walks the last four years (well, 68 one year in 111 games, but he was on pace) with an OBP of .460, 373, .413, .391 the last four years.

That’d be incredibly potent in front of Trout, Ohtani, and Upton. He could either lead-off, or you could stick someone like Simmons ahead of him to give him RBI opps as well.

Between Harper, Trout, and Ohtani you may have a combined trio with an OBP of .425 hitting ahead of Upton (hopefully his RISP struggles reverse), Pujols (who seemingly can only hit with RISP) and possibly high contact Simmons. That’s about the best recipe for run production any MLB team could cook up.

Im im the sign harper camp. And im not even a fan of the guy.

It would be silly to tie up that kind of money on him when trout isnt locked up. That said, harper and ohtani would probably make trout a lot more interested in staying.

It will never happen, but trout, harper and ohtani would be pretty amazing. (Any combo of the 2). With upton thrown in, and hopefully adell working out, that would be a pretty amazing offense.

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

It will never happen, but trout, harper and ohtani would be pretty amazing. (Any combo of the 2). With upton thrown in, and hopefully adell working out, that would be a pretty amazing offense.

Huh? We already have a combo of 2 of them Trout and Ohtani. We could use at least 1 more big bat, and a least one more top pitcher. Last year I was good going in with our pitching thinking the law of averages was on our side, I'm not that optimistic anymore.

12 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Huh? We already have a combo of 2 of them Trout and Ohtani. 

Im talking about if trout leaves.

13 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We could use at least 1 more big bat, and a least one more top pitcher. Last year I was good going in with our pitching thinking the law of averages was on our side, I'm not that optimistic anymore.

We need a pitcher far more than a bat. And honestly, a real leadoff hitter would help us more than a moto hitter, IMO.

Trout, upton and ohtani may not set records, but they stack up well with anyone else. Its whats in front and behind them where we need to improve. (Simmons has become a very good compliment bat). We need someone on base in front of that lineup.