• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Calhoun the starting Rf next year?

Vlad27Trout27

3 minutes ago, Barrett said:

Personally I think this team needs upgrades at 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Catcher and an ace type starting pitcher. We are all well aware of bullpen fluctuating from good to bad year to year. So I wouldn't touch the bullpen. But that's what I would define as heavy and that's not even calculating if Calhoun is garbage or good Calhoun next year. So I guess heavy I would define as those 4 positions. 

I think they can do all that, although upgrade doesn’t necessarily mean “get a star.” They could get modest upgrades at a few spots and a big upgrade at one. 

Remember, the Angels already have a few spots they are above average. They just have to get to average at the others. You don’t need a star at every position. You need to not have any black holes. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Remember, the Angels already have a few spots they are above average. They just have to get to average at the others. You don’t need a star at every position. You need to not have any black holes. 

If they can shore up the rotation, maybe a vet reliever, help 1B, and round out a productive bench, I'm actually alright keeping Fletcher at 2B and an Arcia/Briceno tandem at catcher (maybe another Rivera type added for depth 

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I think they can do all that, although upgrade doesn’t necessarily mean “get a star.” They could get modest upgrades at a few spots and a big upgrade at one. 

I think they have a lot potentials to replace what Ian Kinsler brought in 2018 through Cozart, Fletcher or JMF.

If they can get some facsimile of "2nd half Calhoun" that should make RF slightly above average for next season.

So, I see the biggest holes to be 3B, C, and a SP or two with a"closer" sitting near the back of the "desperate needs".

Like was proposed earlier, if they can get Miami to bite on a non-Adell/Canning related prospect package for Realmuto that would solve one issue.

3B could be covered by a Donaldson contract if he's healthy and the price and years are right but, even with his current status, he could still be in high demand.

I think they'll be in the market for one of Corbin or Keuchal and Billy will continue to work the waiver wire for 40 man cast offs.

43 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

We had Trout and his 10 WAR and how much difference did he make here exactly?   Why would he make us all that much better or different if he was still here? 

You can really say that about Realmuto if he was here now or next season...day in and day out he's a 4 WAR player so how much difference would he make when you are 20+ games out?

DeGrom is elite while Realmuto is a unique talent that is borderline...you could likely get Realmuto without Adell but you would not be able to get DeGrom without Adell.

Looking at the two, the team would be better with DeGrom pitching 5th day than Realmuto playing 75% to 80% of the time (as a catcher, he would not play everyday) the only difference is acquiring Realmuto is a more realistic scenario given the current reality.

Another reason i go him over DeGrom actually. 
WE can agree to disagree on the value of any one player, but the bottom line is we need more than 1 regardless of who they are. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Another reason i go him over DeGrom actually. 
WE can agree to disagree on the value of any one player, but the bottom line is we need more than 1 regardless of who they are. 

Yeah, Realmuto (or DeGrom) wouldn't be enough...you'd need at least a 3B  and SP (or C) to go with them in terms of moves made in the offseason.  

57 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

We had Trout and his 10 WAR and how much difference did he make here exactly?   Why would he make us all that much better or different if he was still here? 

You can really say that about Realmuto if he was here now or next season...day in and day out he's a 4 WAR player so how much difference would he make when you are 20+ games out?

DeGrom is elite while Realmuto is a unique talent that is borderline...you could likely get Realmuto without Adell but you would not be able to get DeGrom without Adell.

Looking at the two, the team would be better with DeGrom pitching 5th day than Realmuto playing 75% to 80% of the time (as a catcher, he would not play everyday) the only difference is acquiring Realmuto is a more realistic scenario given the current reality.

Actually I think it may be the other way around. deGrom's salary over the next two seasons is about $35M while Realmuto's arbitration salary over the next two years is more akin to about $15M. That $20M difference makes Realmuto more valuable overall versus deGrom. It is parsing hairs though I could see both the Mets and Marlins asking for a top prospect in return for either guy.

My only problem with Realmuto is that he's only got two years of club control left.  So you're looking at a substantial outlay in prospect currency to get him and then a potential extension at the same exact time Trout and Simmons become free agents.  

I'm good with making that kind of strong commitment if we became the favorites to win the division for a few years in a row.  But based on where the other teams  are headed, that looks like 2021 to me assuming we retain Trout and Simmons.  

8 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

To have any shot at Realmuto ... Adell will need to be in play

A recently put out projection of who will be on the next list of top prospects in baseball had Adell at #2 (after Vlad Jr gets promoted, etc.).

If an Adell level prospect needs to be included to get Realmuto then that means only two teams would have a prospect good enough to make a deal.

When you consider it this way, it is pretty easy to say that is not realistic.

57 minutes ago, floplag said:

For me, its the Realmuto all day long.  Every day versus every 5 days.  He may be the one guy i listen on Adell for right now.
Its go big or go home time kids, fill in the blanks around Trout, or trade Trout, those are you realistic choices. 

Sidenote, DeGrom had a Cy Young year on a bad Mets team, how much difference did he make there exactly?   why would he make us all that much better or different?  

Our overall team is better than the Mets. Of course, they have 9 players on the 60-day DL, including some of their best hitters (Cespedes, d'Arnaud, Lagares). It's not deGrom's fault the Mets suck.

Imagine if the Angels had lost Trout, Ohtani & Upton to the 60-day DL this year...

22 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Kole is also going to be 31 next year so his best seasons are behind him. Trade him for a relief prospect and put Hermosillo in right. 

What makes you think  Hermosillo will be any better than Kole? Nothing he has shown me so far would indicate it. Kole had a bad season granted but he has 4 decent seasons prior. He also is a GG RF with a canon for an arm. He will play RF next year as there are more pressing holes to fill, including 3B, 1B, and pitching.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I didn't say stars. I don't care if the team had no stars, the Angels when we won had no stars. Just give me a team that doesn't blow at multiple positions. I am tired of having black holes at positions in the line up. 

30 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

My only problem with Realmuto is that he's only got two years of club control left.  So you're looking at a substantial outlay in prospect currency to get him and then a potential extension at the same exact time Trout and Simmons become free agents.  

I'm good with making that kind of strong commitment if we became the favorites to win the division for a few years in a row.  But based on where the other teams  are headed, that looks like 2021 to me assuming we retain Trout and Simmons.  

Simmons will be how old when his contract is up and hits free agency?

Realmuto's having a great season and he'd no doubt be a huge upgrade (at least offensively) but which Realmuto will you get? 

The '16-'17 version with an OPS+ around 111, 112 (still very good)...or the 2018 version with an OPS+ of 139?
For reference, Simmons this year has an OPS+ of 110. Upton is as 124. Ohtani at 150, Trout at, lol, 199. 

Chris Iannetta's first three years (age 29-31) his OPS+ was 113 - and he had an OPS+ of 116 last season with Arizona at age 34. 
Also for reference, Yadier's peak was an OPS+ of 130 between age 28-30, since then he's averaged an OPS+ of 99. 

If Realmuto has turned a corner and is truly entering a prime of putting up 4 WAR and 125+ OPS+ the next three years, he's definitely worth a pretty package. If he's back to a 2-3 WAR player with a 110-120 OPS+, not quite as much. 

My big appeal with Harper is OBP/BB. 
Machado's career high in walks is 70, averaging 52 a season, with an OBP of .335.
Realmuto's career high in walks is 38, averaging 37 a season. with an OBP of .328.
Harper's career high in walks is 126+, averaging 102 a season, with an OBP of .387. 

Put Bryce in front of Trout and you're taking two of the best hitters in baseball and making them both more dangerous. Trout would have dramatically increased RBI opportunities, and Harper will likely get more pitches to hit. 

Machado and Realmuto bring a lot more to the table in consistency and defense, hence greater value, but I really think Harper's impact would be much more profound. I don't expect 10 WAR Harper, but I think the 1.5 WAR Harper is an anomaly too. I think he'll settle in around 5-6 WAR, maybe with a little more volatility if he doesn't shore up his defense. 

Bryce and Manny both bring a little bit too much douchy bravado with them, but I think Harper and Trout literally next to each other in the OF will feed off each other more...for some reason, I can't see Machado and Simmons working well in tandem defensively at 3B and SS. Not to mention, Machado's presence (and contract) could lead to Simmons being allowed to walk and them simply shifting their $30m 3B-who-wants-to-play-SS over to SS instead. 

I think I'd still pick Harper out of the three big offensive targets, unless Realmuto cost something like Suarez, Marsh, Ward, and one other lower-leveled dude.

26 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Of course, if the Mets go into full fire sale mode (which I doubt, because I think they're just looking for returns from the above-mentioned injured players), I can see asking for deGrom and, say, Conforto or Nimmo if the Metropolitans want Adell.

I'd be interested in seeing if taking back Todd Frazier and perhaps someone like Anthony Swarzak in a deal for deGrom or Thor to help the Mets payroll, fill Angel needs, and perhaps cut a prospect out of the equation. 

Frazier replaces Valbuena/Marte, or even Kinsler depending on the roster config (if Fletcher becomes UT IF and Cozart moves to 2B.
Frazier was league average - .216/.301/.397/.698 95 OPS+ but popped 17 doubles, 18 HR, 9-12 in SB attempts, and posted 1.9 WAR.
Awful against lefties this year (.530ish OPS) but crushed them last year (.883) and in his career (.801) and he was definitely on the Angels shopping list last year. 

Swarzak replaces Jim Johnson as the expensive vet RP. 

49 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

To have any shot at Realmuto ... Adell will need to be in play

42 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

A recently put out projection of who will be on the next list of top prospects in baseball had Adell at #2 (after Vlad Jr gets promoted, etc.).

If an Adell level prospect needs to be included to get Realmuto then that means only two teams would have a prospect good enough to make a deal.

When you consider it this way, it is pretty easy to say that is not realistic.

The Marlins could be swayed with 2 to 3 good prospects versus 1 top guy, particularly in light of what dtwncbad noted.

We could extend him as part of the trade perhaps as doc mentioned.

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd be interested in seeing if taking back Todd Frazier and perhaps someone like Anthony Swarzak in a deal for deGrom or Thor to help the Mets payroll, fill Angel needs, and perhaps cut a prospect out of the equation. 

Frazier replaces Valbuena/Marte, or even Kinsler depending on the roster config (if Fletcher becomes UT IF and Cozart moves to 2B.
Frazier was league average - .216/.301/.397/.698 95 OPS+ but popped 17 doubles, 18 HR, 9-12 in SB attempts, and posted 1.9 WAR.
Awful against lefties this year (.530ish OPS) but crushed them last year (.883) and in his career (.801) and he was definitely on the Angels shopping list last year. 

Swarzak replaces Jim Johnson as the expensive vet RP. 

Mets ownership has indicated that they won't be trading any of their pitchers away this offseason. They think that a full season of DeGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, and Matz is enough to possibly win next year. Which who can blame them? All they need is an offense and a sturdy bullpen and some luck in staying healthy. Conforto is legit, Bruce and Cespedes can hit, so they have something to build on. 

6 minutes ago, ettin said:

The Marlins could be swayed with 2 to 3 good prospects versus 1 top guy, particularly in light of what dtwncbad noted.

We could extend him as part of the trade perhaps as doc mentioned.

I can see that happening ... just don’t see the Angels prospects getting it done without Adell and I wouldn’t trade Adell for Realmuto. I can see teams like the Dodgers getting it done. 

The way I see it, the Angels need to improve and there are only a limited number of spots where that's easily possible. Catcher, second base (or third base, depending on where Cozart lines up at), and right field. It's not happening at 1B because Albert, not at SS, LF OR CF obsviously. 

So yeah, I do expect that the Angels will upgrade in RF. I don't think they'll spend big money or invest many years into RF as much as I think they'll be looking at a one, maybe two year fix until Jo Adell arrives. And if Trout decides to walk, no problem, Adell moves to CF and Marsh can play RF. 

I know this won't blow anyone's skirt up or anything, but I can see Nick Markakie being our starting RF next year. Maybe a one year deal with a team option. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sounds an awful lot like the 2002 or even 2009 roster. Average or better across the board. If a prospect has average tools across the board, it makes him a potentially very good player. Same goes for a team, if they're average or better across the board, they're pretty good.

22 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

The way I see it, the Angels need to improve and there are only a limited number of spots where that's easily possible. Catcher, second base (or third base, depending on where Cozart lines up at), and right field. It's not happening at 1B because Albert, not at SS, LF OR CF obsviously. 

So yeah, I do expect that the Angels will upgrade in RF. I don't think they'll spend big money or invest many years into RF as much as I think they'll be looking at a one, maybe two year fix until Jo Adell arrives. And if Trout decides to walk, no problem, Adell moves to CF and Marsh can play RF. 

I know this won't blow anyone's skirt up or anything, but I can see Nick Markakie being our starting RF next year. Maybe a one year deal with a team option. 

You see a position ... I see a MOTO bat. Doesn’t matter what position he plays. I don’t believe we’ll see Ohtani until Jun-Jul ... hope I’m wrong. 

Who can play 1B/3B/DH 

22 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Wish we would take a flyer on Cutch. He would make a good leadoff hitter. His OBP has been high his whole career. Unlike Kole whose OBP is .280 this year. WTF, Sosh? 

He still steals bases. As much power as Calhoun. Not as good a fielder as Calhoun. Few are.

Cutch might sign a two year deal, with an option.

Cutch, Donaldson, Familia. Arte might have to good go a bit over the cap.

Cutch, Trout, Ohtani, Donaldson, Upton, Fernandez/Pujols, Simmons, Catcher, Cozart/Fletch. Good speed at the top again.

But it will be Kole. If it was Valbuena, it will be Kole.

Donaldson really? He will be 33, often injured. I not only say no, but hell no...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

18 hours ago, disarcina said:

and - big question mark -- will Ohtani return to the mound next year?

I think Ohtani could be a DH and set up guy -- the hitters seem to track Ohtani their second/ third time through the line up.

Stop it with the bullpen talk please. Not going to happen. He won't pitch next year anyway.