• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: How the Angels can convince Mike Trout to stay

floplag

3 hours ago, Tank said:

i disagree that this is an ego thing.

he's a player who can still play, even though it's not at the same high level as previous years. he was still better than a lot of players on the current roster, too. if he was insisting on batting 4th (no evidence of that) or demanding this or that, then the ego thing comes in to play. but so far, i haven't heard anything like that.

I think some people read this and see ego and a demand for playing time. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

If Mike Trout can be convinced that the halos have a good chance to win from 2020-2023, he will extend.  

Money won't be the issue.  Harper and Machado will get their deals and the Halos will go above that.  

I think we'll see where his head is at right before spring training.  

This completely ignores the possibility that an East Coast team might have an even better chance to win during that same period. 

Like you said, money wont be the issue;  possibly for a different reason. I think Mike Trout already has all the money he needs. He's a modest guy, from a modest family with modest needs. He'll take less to be closer to home.

And even if he takes what many would consider to be a low-ball offer of maybe 350 mil over X years, he will have already earned over half a billion dollars by the end of that contract. Guaranteed money.

Why hasn't Mike's wife moved out to California, after all these years, BTW? I cant recall a single article about her being in SoCal on any kid of regular basis. Seven years now.........

I think he will tremendously value having his folks, his hometown, his wife and future kids be able to watch him play by being within 45 min-2 hr of his home. Or he can have a nice city house in NY, for when he is in town, if he signs with the Yankees or the Mets.

I have to believe his loved ones are tired of watching almost half his games start after 10pm, too. They must miss a ton of his games. Not to mention his future kids, with an early bedtime. Sure, they can DVR it, but it's just not the same. 

Especially in Philly, he will have the aura of a hometown hero. He grew up 40 minutes from Citizens Bank Park. That can't be bought.

Everything about his life SCREAMS East Coast...........why you think he would have some (inapparent) allegiance to the Angels is beyond me;  winning team or not. The Angels were the only team that could buy out his arb years. Doing that was a no-brainer.

The one thing that might really work in the Angels' favor is IF this reticence by MLB owners to give big contracts, continues from last year. If Harper and Machado get the equivalent of "only" 15-20 mil/year, Mike might decide to extend with the Angels if the trend is towards diminishing AAV. Arte IS the consummate overspender, after all.

But I still cant see it outweighing the hometown allure.

22 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

$450,000,000 signed into his 40s should convince him. The Angels are going to have to offer significantly more than the contending east coast teams to have a realistic shot. My guess is Trout will be willing to leave up to $50,000,000 on the table to play close to home and on a world series caliber team.

And you know this because...

23 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

And where do they live in the off-season?

Pretty much everyone lives somewhere else in the off-season. 

I think the whole “playing close to home” thing is highly overrated.

Make a list of all the big time free agents who can sign wherever they want and see how many sign “close to home.”

Trout is not blind to the fact that this team has had a horrible run with injuries.  This team showed this season what they could do when healthy (13-3).  There is a lot of talent here.  The Angels do have the money to spend this off-season to bring in another SP arm, to get BP help and sign a C.  I think they will also bring in someone for 1B for the games Pujols sits on the bench to rest his decaying body. 

My point is, this team can be very competitive starting next year.

19 minutes ago, failos said:

Trout isn't leaving Anaheim. Just my 2 cents.

I'm getting tired of the premise of these articles, though. These "journalists" are just trying to stir drama between Trout and the Angels.

it's the failos out in force. not unexpected around here because the sky in their world is always falling.

9 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Mark Teixeira and his wife say hi. Jered Weaver, too. 2 players on the Angels alone who signed primarily based on location. One took a hefty pay cut.

One played less than half a season in Anaheim and signed the bigger contract with the F'n Yankees

The other made $84 mil over 5 seasons...the poor child

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Pretty much everyone lives somewhere else in the off-season. 

I think the whole “playing close to home” thing is highly overrated.

Make a list of all the big time free agents who can sign wherever they want and see how many sign “close to home.”

Most big time free agents don’t marry their high school sweethearts. My point is ... Trout seems more family oriented than most. I don’t think the   ‘the whole playing close to home’ is overrated. 

Although, living in OC finest areas can be heavenly. 

Per Buzzfeed:

“It’s just where he wants to be,” Trout’s father, Jeff Trout, said. “He’s a family guy. He loves his [three-legged] dog. He’s close with his mother. He has a great group of friends here he’s had since he was a little kid. He’s very tight with his brother and sister and he loves his niece and nephew. He grew up fishing and hunting and clamming these woods and these waters.”