• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: How the Angels can convince Mike Trout to stay

floplag

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Yes, he does.

When you mention he bought a ranch 3 hours away from other teams, you just sunk your own argument. Do you think he would actually live there while he played for the phillies?

He wont even live there in the off season. He'll spend a month there in the offseason, if that, as a vacation home.

Dude has movie star money...notice how movie stars have their LA home, and then vacation homes for when they arent working? 

And how many movie stars, musicians etc are hollywood locals? Home and where you work are two different things...especially when where you live while working is just a place you crash and do laundry at.

Why, yes, I do think he would live there if he played for the Phillies. Trout's ranch is less than an hour from Citizens Bank, if what I read is true.

So, you're saying he's not living there for more than a month right now, during the off season? I dont believe that at all.

I cant see how this sinks my argument. Humor me.

Mike Trout is very different from a musician or a movie star, IMO. Not a valid comparison.

Can I throw out one detail on the "sign close to home" subject?

When players a long time ago got their "monster" 5 year deal for $13.5 million, they might choose a place close to where they want to be. 

But today when we are talking about someone who is going to get HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS, they can jet anywhere they want in 4 hours in ultimate luxury for an amount of money entirely insignificant to them.

Does anyone think the Angels want their fans talking about and laboring about a Mike Trout extension?

It is a distraction and it leads to some fans getting tired of the talk and at some point getting annoyed and either the team or the player.  That's not good.

The team wants this not to be a subject now or all of nest year.

The way to do that  (or at least to minimize it) is to be winning.

2019 cannot be a "wait til next year" year.  That would be so so stupid to invite more frustration with the fans and invite another year of frustration for Mike Trout.

Every year this team doesn't make the playoffs makes it harder to convince him the team knows how to put a winning team on the field.

Here's the thing about Trout. He's signed for 2 more years. If he's going to win a World Series in 2019 it will be wearing Angels red. Since he's not a blithering Facking idiot, winning the World Series in 2019 or 2020 won't be his focus going forward on a new deal. It'll be winning from 2021 onward and what team gives him that opportunity. And if he can do that without leaving his Newport Beach house behind and still making obscene money he'll stay here. If not then he won't. Arguing about it in 2018 is why this country has a greater than 50% divorce rate

7 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Why, yes, I do think he would live there if he played for the Phillies. Trout's ranch is less than an hour from Citizens Bank, if what I read is true.

So, you're saying he's not living there for more than a month right now, during the off season? I dont believe that at all.

I cant see how this sinks my argument. Humor me.

Mike Trout is very different from a musician or a movie star, IMO. Not a valid comparison.

So you think he would make the one hour drive, in both directions, instead of having his actual place near work? How many dodgers for example live in newport?

And yes, he isnt living on his ranch all offseason....that his getaway spot to hunt and relax. He, and others like him, have about 3 months in the offseason...during which they will relax (he likes to hunt, others like to travel), but they also fly back and forth to train with people, see their family, etc. 

Your argument is akin to saying guys who buy a boat and a river house in havasu want to make arizona their primary residence.

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So you think he would make the one hour drive, in both directions, instead of having his actual place near work? How many dodgers for example live in newport?

And yes, he isnt living on his ranch all offseason....that his getaway spot to hunt and relax. He, and others like him, have about 3 months in the offseason...during which they will relax (he likes to hunt, others like to travel), but they also fly back and forth to train with people, see their family, etc. 

Your argument is akin to saying guys who buy a boat and a river house in havasu want to make arizona their primary residence.

Let me get this straight. Trout lived his entire life, including the first four years he was an Angel, in his parents house, just minutes away from this ranch. And he bought this ranch as only a vacation house to hunt and fish? He bought a vacation house right in his hometown and it's not where he lives in the off season? Only for a month?

I'm sorry, that just defies logic to me. But believe it, if you must. 

No, my argument is that Trout has the earmarks of a homebody type that would probably like nothing better than to be playing within 45 minutes to two hours from his home. SoCal is 3000 miles and three time zones away. SoCal is so impersonal. Everybody always on their phones or in their cars in traffic. Where's the appeal in bringing up kids in that? 

Now, it's possible that Arte throws so much money at him that he cant refuse. And it's possible that the Angels might spend big money on FA between now and 2019 (which is what it's going to take to be competitive in the AL West), and convince Trout that he has a shot at the playoffs.

But it isn't probable.

Admitted, this is all a big guessing game. These are my guesses. 

27 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Let me get this straight. Trout lived his entire life, including the first four years he was an Angel, in his parents house, just minutes away from this ranch. And he bought this ranch as only a vacation house to hunt and fish? He bought a vacation house right in his hometown and it's not where he lives in the off season? Only for a month?

I'm sorry, that just defies logic to me. But believe it, if you must. 

No, my argument is that Trout has the earmarks of a homebody type that would probably like nothing better than to be playing within 45 minutes to two hours from his home. SoCal is 3000 miles and three time zones away. SoCal is so impersonal. Everybody always on their phones or in their cars in traffic. Where's the appeal in bringing up kids in that? 

Dude, im not going to name drop, but i can name 5 guys off the top of my head who all owned homes with their own lakes in texas....as well as their pad in newport.

Ill ask you again, where does kershaw live in the offseason? Every dominican player? Every asian player like ohtani?

Youre seriously looking WAY too much into where trout or anyone else has purchased ONE of their several homes. While, as ive already said, ignoring the fact that the millville trout dude ranch is still an hour away from the CLOSEST team. By your reasoning, the phillies are the only team in the running.

17 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Dude, im not going to name drop, but i can name 5 guys off the top of my head who all owned homes with their own lakes in texas....as well as their pad in newport.

Ill ask you again, where does kershaw live in the offseason? Every dominican player? Every asian player like ohtani?

Youre seriously looking WAY too much into where trout or anyone else has purchased ONE of their several homes. While, as ive already said, ignoring the fact that the millville trout dude ranch is still an hour away from the CLOSEST team. By your reasoning, the phillies are the only team in the running.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. It isnt knowable, anyway. All we can do is wait and see what Trout and Arte do.

But I suspect we'll know something by the trading deadline in 2019. Or sooner. By then, if the Angels are smart (and I believe Eppler is;  Arte, not so much) they will have opened negotiations on an extension and will have a sense of whether Trout wants to continue with the Angels or go elsewhere. THEY HAVE TO ENGAGE TROUT LIKE THIS, to determine whether he should be traded, if he wont extend. And they MUST trade him, especially if they remain a mediocre team. 

8 minutes ago, MilvilleMayor said:

He's going to Philly when he's a free agent and it's not even that big of a secret. If the Angels front office is arrogant enough to think they can convince him to stay then they'll misplay their hand, badly. Jim Bowden is the only one in the press to get this situation correct...offer him the extension in early January, once he balks at it, trade him.  

Where did you hear Bowden talk about this? On the MLB radio network?

9 minutes ago, MilvilleMayor said:

He's going to Philly when he's a free agent and it's not even that big of a secret. If the Angels front office is arrogant enough to think they can convince him to stay then they'll misplay their hand, badly. Jim Bowden is the only one in the press to get this situation correct...offer him the extension in early January, once he balks at it, trade him.  

you're not very bright, are you?

4 minutes ago, MilvilleMayor said:

Let's say this is true.

How quickly can people move on and not be bothered by Trout leaving?

Will fans "be mad" at Trout, the Angels or both forever?

I love Trout and I WANT him to want to be here.  But if he personally doesn't want to be here, I am over it in a day.

It's not the end of the world.  After all, how many World Series championship teams have a 9 WAR player on their roster?

Again, I love Trout and have the highest respect for him as any player since I started following the team in the 70s.

If he doesn't WANT to be here, then I am thankful for his years here and wish him well.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Let's say this is true.

How quickly can people move on and not be bothered by Trout leaving?

Will fans "be mad" at Trout, the Angels or both forever?

I love Trout and I WANT him to want to be here.  But if he personally doesn't want to be here, I am over it in a day.

It's not the end of the world.  After all, how many World Series championship teams have a 9 WAR player on their roster?

Again, I love Trout and have the highest respect for him as any player since I started following the team in the 70s.

If he doesn't WANT to be here, then I am thankful for his years here and wish him well.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. It's been a privilege being in a time zone that has allowed me to watch him so much. His entire family cant really say that, BTW. 

In fact, since the Angels have been so far out of the race for over a month, I have begun watching many other teams;  all the while following the Angel lineup on my phone or tablet, so I can tune to the Angel game to see him hit. I love his approach at the plate. His arm strength and accuracy seemed to have improved. He isnt airmailing throws anymore.

But you make a good point. All this resistance to talking about his possible departure is clearly from people who are trying to come to grips with this possibility. Denial,  or searching for facetious reasons why he WILL stay, is part of this. 

It's time to start accepting that he might not be here, even in 2019. If the Angels can't fix this team quickly, and Trout wants to play for a winner, he could be gone before 2021. 

If Trout wants to play for a team close to his hometown, there is possibly NOTHING the Angels can do.

If you think about it ... you really don’t have to convince Trout to stay. Eppler is already doing all he can do. Ohtani choosing the Angels could be very instrumental in Trout’s decision to stay. 

If Trout is open to a extension then consider it done! 

If Trout elects to become a FA then consider him gone. 

It’s really that easy. 

Asked on Friday if he is expecting or hoping the Angels open extension talks this winter, Trout said little.

“I don’t know,” he said. “It’s up to them. Obviously you’ve got to finish out the season and worry about it in the offseason. I don’t want to worry about it right now.”

OC Register 

That sounds encouraging