• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: How the Angels can convince Mike Trout to stay

floplag

6 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Most big time free agents don’t marry their high school sweethearts. My point is ... Trout seems more family oriented than most. I don’t think the   ‘the whole playing close to home’ is overrated. 

Although, living in OC finest areas can be heavenly. 

Per Buzzfeed:

“It’s just where he wants to be,” Trout’s father, Jeff Trout, said. “He’s a family guy. He loves his [three-legged] dog. He’s close with his mother. He has a great group of friends here he’s had since he was a little kid. He’s very tight with his brother and sister and he loves his niece and nephew. He grew up fishing and hunting and clamming these woods and these waters.”

lol April 2016 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

lol April 2016 

Correct 

This is a discussion ... just throwing out some info. He also brought a 300 acre ranch about that same time. 

I would put ? last on his list of wants. He’s also a very loyal person and if the Angels can show him a real opportunity to win a Championship they might sign him to a lifetime contract. 

16 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

He also brought a 300 acre ranch about that same time. 

Hunter has a spread in Prosper Texas he bought a couple years after signing with the Angels but never once played for a Texas team. He went and played his last games for Minnesota after his two year run in Detroit. He also owned a place in Newport Beach, in the same area Trout lives during the season.

Where players decide to live after the season is over is no indication of where they want to play. Where they buy property is no statement of a permanent residence. 

10 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Hunter has a spread in Prosper Texas he bought a couple years after signing with the Angels but never once played for a Texas team. He went and played his last games for Minnesota after his two year run in Detroit. He also owned a place in Newport Beach, in the same area Trout lives during the season.

Where players decide to live after the season is over is no indication of where they want to play. Where they buy property is no statement of a permanent residence. 

True 

Trout can play anywhere he wants but money won’t be a factor imo. 

31 minutes ago, Lou said:

lol all you want.

still not a pay cut. 

He also did not sign for any measurable "discount."   That was a deliberate and contrived PR and marketing play (and a smart one for both team and player in branding the deal that way).

He got something very, very comparable to other pitchers that signed extensions.

And in hindsight I might argue he was significantly overpaid compared to the extensions of guys like Verlander and Felix Hernandez, who are still getting hitters out.

I really really liked Weaver but the entire "hometown disvount" talk was an eye roller for me from day one. 

He signed a deal at market, not below.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Pretty much everyone lives somewhere else in the off-season. 

I think the whole “playing close to home” thing is highly overrated.

Make a list of all the big time free agents who can sign wherever they want and see how many sign “close to home.”

Yet Mike bought a 300 acre ranch "......just minutes from his parent's property" in 2016. Not in SoCal, though he could have easily afforded it, after the arb buy-out.

There are many cases where your hometown team just can't afford you. I dont think that's the case, here. With Trout, he has FIVE teams within 2-3 hours of his hometown. Mets, Yankees, Phils, Orioles and Nats. Outside of the Mets, those are pretty rich owners.

Where does Trout live, when he's in SoCal? Does he have a place in Newport Coast? 

54 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Dude, I swear you sound like you want him to leave.

I'm just analyzing the environment that surrounds him. And he doesnt seem real SoCal inclined to me. Too many things say otherwise. He is my favorite player in baseball, no question. I admire his talent and his modest personality. But I am an old white guy who isnt impressed by all the trappings and preenings on social media. Mike is refreshingly low key in that regard.

I actually think the Angels need to sign another big bat around him in the lineup, a front line starter and a closer THIS OFF SEASON or.................

trade Trout for a bunch of blue-chip prospects if we continue to muddle around .500 by July 31, 2019. That may be his biggest value, especially if he is determined to "go home". 

5 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

And where do they live in the off-season?

Sigh....

This is like saying people who commute to work are going to leave their company for a job where they live.

Is ohtani going back to japan?

Literally every player lives at home in the offseason. Trumbo was a local guy, so he lived nearby. Guys like him are the exception, because how often do you get drafted by your home town team?

And the whole playing close to home thing gets overblown as well. In trouts case, there are no teams in jersey....this would be like saying q guy from anaheim, who is being offered huge money to stay on the east coast, would want to go play for the padres or oakland, because his friends are only 2 hours away.

Trout, and his family, love where theyre at right now. His wife, brother, etc etc all dig on the beach...and who wouldnt when you didnt grow up by it.

Lastly, where you live during the season is overblown as well. These guys are home for a week at a time. Then gone for a week. The whole "i want to be home thing" doesnt really apply....especially when "home" is 2 hours away.

4 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Mark Teixeira and his wife say hi. Jered Weaver, too. 2 players on the Angels alone who signed primarily based on location. One took a hefty pay cut.

I knew someone would bring up tex.

You really think he went to NY for his wife? Not 20 mill more, and playing for the yankees?

Angel fans were butthurt when he left....he was here for THREE months...think he had any roots here?

And glad you mentioned weaver. By the "stay at home" thing, he should have left for the dodgers, no? But he took less to stay here, and live in crystal cove...with his other buddies who live there...like the current angels do now...instead of heading back "home" to the valley.

Hard to pass up living in the rich side of OC with your friends

4 hours ago, Griffey's Corner said:

Ken Griffey Jr. would also like to say hello.

So would several hundred other big named guys who didnt go home.

Griffey went home to Cinc...where he grew up, with the actual team he grew up with, because of his dad. 

By all your guys saying trout wants to be home is also saying the yanks, boston, and every other team except the phillies and mets are in the running.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Pretty much everyone lives somewhere else in the off-season. 

I think the whole “playing close to home” thing is highly overrated.

Make a list of all the big time free agents who can sign wherever they want and see how many sign “close to home.”

Thank you. 

As one of the only people (if not only) on here who routinely interacts with players, and over your career separate teams, you would know this better than anyone else.

People are going to drop a handful of names who went home. While completely ignoring the thousands who went to the best fit the specific year they hit free agency.

To those who say griffey and tex, is kershaw leaving the dodgers? Is freddie freeman coming to the angels? How come stanton extended with the marlins instead of waiting for the dodgers? Or better yet, left to play in europe, where he spends his offseasons?

3 hours ago, WeatherWonk said:

Yet Mike bought a 300 acre ranch "......just minutes from his parent's property" in 2016. Not in SoCal, though he could have easily afforded it, after the arb buy-out.

There are many cases where your hometown team just can't afford you. I dont think that's the case, here. With Trout, he has FIVE teams within 2-3 hours of his hometown. Mets, Yankees, Phils, Orioles and Nats. Outside of the Mets, those are pretty rich owners.

Where does Trout live, when he's in SoCal? Does he have a place in Newport Coast? 

Yes, he does.

When you mention he bought a ranch 3 hours away from other teams, you just sunk your own argument. Do you think he would actually live there while he played for the phillies?

He wont even live there in the off season. He'll spend a month there in the offseason, if that, as a vacation home.

Dude has movie star money...notice how movie stars have their LA home, and then vacation homes for when they arent working? 

And how many movie stars, musicians etc are hollywood locals? Home and where you work are two different things...especially when where you live while working is just a place you crash and do laundry at.

MLB players aren't Facking babies who need to be close to mommy and daddy most of the year. 

This whole argument is stupid. Regardless of where Trout lives, he's going to spend half the year travelling around North America. Once ST starts, it's time to travel. He's also a multi-millionaire who can fly the entire town of Millville to see him play if he wants.