• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

ESPN: How the Angels can convince Mike Trout to stay

floplag

The Angels could extend Trout, sign Machado, and sign Corbin all this offseason.

They would be under the luxury tax and a much better baseball team.

Adell is two years away and he is a freaking stud.

Ohtani is young and Simmons is a beast.

Keep drafting well and developing players.

Have the courage to be a great team.

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Weaver could have received a bigger contract if he chose free agency.

An extension deal is not a free agent deal, correct.

He traded a little money for security now, just like all players that sign extensions instead of risking injury to get to free agency.

His extension deal was at exactly market value of other extensions for starting pitchers at that time.  No discount.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

An extension deal is not a free agent deal, correct.

He traded a little money for security now, just like all players that sign extensions instead of risking injury to get to free agency.

His extension deal was at exactly market value of other extensions for starting pitchers at that time.  No discount.

Security now was not the reason he did the extension. He liked playing in Anaheim near his family. He said, how much money does a person need? There was no reason to believe he wouldn't have made more money elsewhere. It's not like he was a rookie making crap money, he made $7M+ the year before he signed his contract in 2011.

3 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Security now was not the reason he did the extension. He liked playing in Anaheim near his family. He said, how much money does a person need? There was no reason to believe he wouldn't have made more money elsewhere. It's not like he was a rookie making crap money, he made $7M+ the year before he signed his contract in 2011.

I do not understand the emotional need to pretend there was some actual mathematical discount.

Extensions are different from free agent contracts.

He signed an extension because he liked it here.  Cool.

All that leaves is the math.

And the extension he signed was a full price extension.  Look up Felix Hernandez and Verlander extensions and compare.

There was no discount.

11 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

It would have if he took the higher paying job. The only reason he signed an extension was the play close to home and he gave the Angels a home town discount, that may have cost him millions...

So Verlander and Hernandez and all the other players that signed extensions instead of waiting to be a free agent also gave their team a discount??

Are you comparing his extension deal to what he might have been offered as a free agent?  If you are this is not Weaver giving the Angels a discount.  It is simply that an extension contract will almost surely be less because the player has less leverage.  So no discount.

Or are you comparing his extension deal to other extension deals of the same time?  If you make that comparison, it was a market rate deal, so no discount.

All you can say is an extension deal is typically less than a free agent deal.  Duh.

But Weaver got every penny the market dictated he was worth.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

But Weaver got every penny the market dictated he was worth. 

https://thebiglead.com/2011/08/24/jered-weaver-signs-an-extension-with-the-angels-despite-scott-boras-advice/

Scott Boras must be pissed at Jered Weaver right now. Instead of riding out the final year and a half of his contract and watching the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets start a bidding war that would have landed him well over a hundred million dollars, the 28-year-old All-Star signed a five year extension with LA worth just $85 million. While Boras is stuck lamenting his lost percentage, Weaver seems alright with his decision. Via ESPN.com:

“If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I’m pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?” Weaver said Tuesday. “I’ve never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball’s going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life.”

He has a point. While this was his one shot at “C.C. Sabathia money,” Weaver should have another decent contract in him if his body holds up. Plus, $85 million isn’t anything to sneeze at. It’s nice to see a baseball player be content to settle for a lot of money for once.

7 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

https://thebiglead.com/2011/08/24/jered-weaver-signs-an-extension-with-the-angels-despite-scott-boras-advice/

Scott Boras must be pissed at Jered Weaver right now. Instead of riding out the final year and a half of his contract and watching the Yankees, Red Sox and Mets start a bidding war that would have landed him well over a hundred million dollars, the 28-year-old All-Star signed a five year extension with LA worth just $85 million. While Boras is stuck lamenting his lost percentage, Weaver seems alright with his decision. Via ESPN.com:

“If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I’m pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?” Weaver said Tuesday. “I’ve never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball’s going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life.”

He has a point. While this was his one shot at “C.C. Sabathia money,” Weaver should have another decent contract in him if his body holds up. Plus, $85 million isn’t anything to sneeze at. It’s nice to see a baseball player be content to settle for a lot of money for once.

Thank you for showing me some nice PR to the clear benefit of both team and player.

Except the actual math says there was no discount.

Some people can tell the difference.