• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs extremely overrated IMO

Erstad Grit

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'm a huge metrics guy and put a ton of weight on k's.  

Skaggs changeup was unhittable tonight.  It was Weaveresque.  He got more and more confident with it as the night went on.  His next start is gonna be dominant.  For whatever reason, it's been awhile since he's shown confidence with that pitch.  

The last time he threw his change at 20% or more before tonight was 2016.  

the k's didn't matter.  it was an out pitch with a ton of weak contact.  

Then check brooksbaseball.net on Anderson's slider movement tonight. If he keeps that up, it's almost Kluber's slider. Unreal! 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I'm a huge metrics guy and put a ton of weight on k's.  

Skaggs changeup was unhittable tonight.  It was Weaveresque.  He got more and more confident with it as the night went on.  His next start is gonna be dominant.  For whatever reason, it's been awhile since he's shown confidence with that pitch.  

The last time he threw his change at 20% or more before tonight was 2016.  

the k's didn't matter.  it was an out pitch with a ton of weak contact.  

I always thought Skaggs' struggles was due to him being essentially a two-pitch pitcher. He had the fastball and the big hook but nothing more. He always had the changeup but for some reason never threw it. If the changeup is here to stay then my confidence in his ability to be a mid-rotation arm has skyrocketed.

5 hours ago, 101halo said:

Then check brooksbaseball.net on Anderson's slider movement tonight. If he keeps that up, it's almost Kluber's slider. Unreal! 

Definitely explains how the dude got promoted so quickly.  Combine that with the high 90s FB he appears to have now, and you have a legitimate late-inning reliever.  We've been doing a good job of getting by with the talent we have now, but we could certainly use someone like that at the back end of this pen.  Now we just need one more significant LH reliever to join Alvarez, and we're in great shape IMO.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2018 at 4:35 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't know if he really has the 'stuff' like people say. He has a great curve ball and he's shown flashes of 95-97 on his fastball, but he seems to more typically sit in the lower 90's. His problem is a lack of a quality third pitch. With the fastball / curve ball combination it's easy for hitters to sit on or lay off pitches. I hope he spent a lot of time working on his change up this offseason. 

On 2/26/2018 at 4:45 PM, Inside Pitch said:

The change was his worst pitch last year pitch value wise.....  So you may be right and it's the success of that pitch that may be what finally helps him get to the next level.

Yup...

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Did you guys read my story on him in which he says he saves the negative tweets and comments he gets and uses them for motivation?

Also, today I talked to a scout who was very impressed with him last night. 

I did read your story and its cool he uses tweets as a motivator. Has he ever looked at AW, it could be gold for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 10:56 AM, Erstad Grit said:

I don't get the hype on Skaggs. (and no this has nothing to do with today) 

13 career wins and a 4.59 era.

Since 2012 when he got called up he has had ONE year with over 100 innings pitched.

Seems like many are penciling him in for a good solid year, yet it's based on nothing.

Convince me why he's going to be solid and that we shouldn't go after Arrieta, Lynn, or Cobb. 

I agree.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yeah Skaggs is still a massively overrated pitcher to me. 

116 innings, 8 wins, 1.31 whip, 3.78 era,

Y'all attacked me like I was hating on Koufax yet at the end of the season Skaggs is still Skaggs 

He was very clearly not himself his last two starts - 17 ER in 6.2 innings after giving up 17 ER in his previous 66 innings. 

The injuries and lack of durability are still a huge concern, but up until those last two starts, he was rocking a 2.62 ERA in 110 innings with a K rate over 9. 
Huge, huge step forward and a sign of his potential. Skaggs was far from being the 'same Skaggs', lingering issues aside.

44 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He was very clearly not himself his last two starts - 17 ER in 6.2 innings after giving up 17 ER in his previous 66 innings. 

The injuries and lack of durability are still a huge concern, but up until those last two starts, he was rocking a 2.62 ERA in 110 innings with a K rate over 9. 
Huge, huge step forward and a sign of his potential. Skaggs was far from being the 'same Skaggs', lingering issues aside.

Yeah, the fact it was an abductor issue and not arm related is encouraging.  He was clearly fighting through something his past two starts...