• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs extremely overrated IMO

Erstad Grit

On 2/26/2018 at 4:41 PM, OK-LA Angels said:

Didn't Skaggs get hurt right when it seemed like he was starting to find his groove though? I'm going entirely off of memory here, so I could he completely wrong. But wasn't Skaggs like 6-7 innings into a no-hitter when he exited with his injury?

Forearm strain denies Skaggs' bid for no-no

Lefty exits after 4 2/3 innings; Morin relieves and allows hit to first batter

https://www.mlb.com/news/angels-tyler-skaggs-left-game-with-an-injury-having-thrown-4-23-no-hit-innings/c-87339968

It was just one start, but obviously quite encouraging.  Skaggs has the stuff to be a solid mid-rotation starter for us.  With Maldonado calling the game and our stud defense behind it, I like his odds.  Just needs to throw strikes ;)

It's pretty neat to have the kind of rotation depth we do this year.  Various guys will get hurt, but even with Heaney going down before the start of the season, we still have the depth to easily absorb it.  

2 hours ago, Kody Mac said:

His changeup looked really good. If he can continue to throw it for a strike.... Watch out.

25 minutes ago, Geoff said:

His off speed stuff was just filthy last night.  I really hope we get a complete, healthy season out of him.

1 minute ago, SoWhat said:

His change up looked really good last night. if he can keep throwing it the way he did last night, watch out. 

It appears his changeup looks pretty good! :P 

34 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

What does that have to do with anything?  It is a team that can hit.  Remember Davis hits a ton of homers, Olsen set a MLB record last year for home runs per at bat.  All of that wasn’t just done against the Angels.  

Skaggs pitched terrific last night. He mixed his pitches and kept them off balance. Ok it was the A’s but still a great performance. I really want to see him progress and hopefully this will be the season that he can stay healthy so we can actually see him pitch at Yankees Stadium or Fenway under the big lights.

27 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Sounds to me like he’s more underrated on Angelswin

He's been Howied....   

People dislike him for what he is .vs what they thought he would be based on prospect status.   Some of it comes from his having made his debut so long ago it seems he's pitched more than he has.    He's a 26 year old with 320 innings as a MLB player...

It's time for the rubber to meet the road with Skaggs..   He's got the tools, it's time to deliver on them.

He still has #2 potential, which he showed last night. I was going to start a thread before the game in which I predicted he'd either breakout this year and be a #2-3, or be a bust and struggle with inconsistency and injury - with no in-between. He's too good to be a #4-5, but he hasn't shown the consistency to be the #2-3 that his ability implies. Hopefully this is the year.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

He still has #2 potential, which he showed last night. I was going to start a thread before the game in which I predicted he'd either breakout this year and be a #2-3, or be a bust and struggle with inconsistency and injury - with no in-between. He's too good to be a #4-5, but he hasn't shown the consistency to be the #2-3 that his ability implies. Hopefully this is the year.

Definitely has #2-3 starter quality stuff. I was really impressed with him in just a handful of starts in 2014. And then the surgery and rehab etc. 

I’ve given him a lot of slack because I truly believed he had potential so nights like last night are great to see. But yeah,  it’s time for him to put up a solid all around year, for his and this teams sake. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 2:04 PM, Angel Oracle said:

I'm still a little concerned that he's like a Halos RHP starter from the mid 1970s, who petered out after a couple of seasons, and didn't have many Ks.

Paul Hartzell 

Only 3Ks tonight in 7IP, good call. Time to give Bridwell another shot when we send Skuggs down. 

3 minutes ago, 101halo said:

Only 3Ks tonight in 7IP, good call. Time to give Bridwell another shot when we send Skuggs down. 

I'm a huge metrics guy and put a ton of weight on k's.  

Skaggs changeup was unhittable tonight.  It was Weaveresque.  He got more and more confident with it as the night went on.  His next start is gonna be dominant.  For whatever reason, it's been awhile since he's shown confidence with that pitch.  

The last time he threw his change at 20% or more before tonight was 2016.  

the k's didn't matter.  it was an out pitch with a ton of weak contact.