• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs extremely overrated IMO

Erstad Grit

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The change was his worst pitch last year pitch value wise.....  So you may be right and it's the success of that pitch that may be what finally helps him get to the next level.

Just from watching him pitch it's easy to see him fall into patterns. Curveball starts up in the zone so he has to work up in the zone with his fastball. If he starts working down in the zone pitchers can sit on the fastball because he has nothing off speed that plays down there. His change has been bad enough that even when he tries to use it down in the zone it's been hammered. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Maybe that "majority" views wins and raw ERA differently than you do.  Or perhaps those people are aware that his career minor league numbers (including ERA), are more in line  with what the predictive data projects for him moving forward.

The great thing about both guys is that there are reasons to be hopeful that Bridwell continues to outperform his peripherals and that Skaggs pitches to his...   If those things happen the Angels benefit.   

315 innings in 5+ years is pretty concerning 

23 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Just from watching him pitch it's easy to see him fall into patterns. Curveball starts up in the zone so he has to work up in the zone with his fastball. If he starts working down in the zone pitchers can sit on the fastball because he has nothing off speed that plays down there. His change has been bad enough that even when he tries to use it down in the zone it's been hammered. 

I felt he pitched poorly last year...  He actually pitched to where his peripherals were.   I couldn't really put a finger as to why but he seemed to lack consistency with his stuff and location from pitch to pitch...  It's time to step up.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I felt he pitched poorly last year...  He actually pitched to where his peripherals were.   I couldn't really put a finger as to why but he seemed to lack consistency with his stuff and location from pitch to pitch...  It's time to step up.

Mnaybe first year back from TJ

14 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

315 innings in 5+ years is pretty concerning 

Less so given the context of those innings.... calls ups at age 20 and 21....   Only 132 innings above age 24.   A total of 26 post Tommy John starts where he's managed a 94 ERA+.    If all he ever amounts to is a 4.25 ERA guy ....that's still plenty good in the 4 or 5 spot.   

I just want to see him go 6 months without an injury to be honest.

Skaggs has actually shown the ability to be a really good pitcher, 2014 he was pitching like a solid number 3 before TJ , in the pass two years we have seen him show the potential of dominates. For example, last year in most of his starts he would be dominating a line-up, than hit a rough pack  and allows 4-5 runs in a inning, finally he come back and dominate again. I posted this before on the 3 things he needs to work on before;

1.  His mental collapse- too many times have i seen him having a mental collapse when ever he doesn't get a called his way, than next thing you know he has given up 3-5 runs. I didn't watch today game, but i heard he had a mental collapse in the second inning, kinda of disappointing, But hopefully it works out!!!!!!!

2. be more than a two pitch pitcher,  even tho the change isn't that good of pitch, i think if he can mix it in with his fastball and 2 seamer it could be a really good pitch for him to have with his fb and Cb.

3. command, command, command!! what else can i say, he needs to have his comman with the FB and Change. He has enough velo on his fastball that he can get it past hitter, he now needs to command that pitch in the 4 quadrants of the strike join, and similarly he needs to throw that change at the bottom of the zone with better command. 

i said 3, but the 4 one if just my personal view

4. cutter!!- if he can command his change, replace it with a cutter. It'a a pitch that could help him cover the inside against righties and the outside corners against lefties. Would work well with his 2-seamer.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Otani, Richard's, Heaney, Shoemaker,  Skaggs 

Depth: Ramirez,  Tropeano Bridwell, Barria

We don't need to spend money on another starting free agent, especially another back end starter 

Heaney and Trop haven't proven anything either.  Shoe hasn't been the same since getting hit in the head.  Lots of question marks on the staff.

The good news is most of these guys are fairly young and still improving.  Competition for rotation spots should be a good one.  Everyone is only penciled in.

12 minutes ago, Lou said:

The problem 

Obviously. Having TJS will usually tank your GS average for a couple years. The point is, when healthy, he really hasn't been that bad considering his age. Not many tall lefties come up and succeed at that age in dominant fashion, and there are elements to his game, like his BB9 and K9, that are favorable compared to Finley, Langston, and Washburn.

He was 20 GS in to his age 22 season when it happened at the break. He would've pulled a typical 30 GS otherwise.

When he returned his age 24 season, he had already logged 9 starts at AAA and was healthy until the last month, and still managed to pull in ~20 starts on the year between AAA/bigs.

Last year, he was on track before and after his oblique injury, which could have happened to anyone. Just rotten luck and maybe bad conditioning. 

His injury-prone label is a little amplified (note that I'm not saying is misconstrued) simply because of his age and the severity of TJS coupled with something like an oblique. Those injuries would knock any starter out for similar time. Just so happened Tyler had it his first year back. 

This is a big year for him and it isn't unrealistic that he turns a corner. We've sold him short a bit because his injuries have clouded the fact that he really hasn't been that terrible. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Heaney and Trop haven't proven anything either.  Shoe hasn't been the same since getting hit in the head.  Lots of question marks on the staff.

The good news is most of these guys are fairly young and still improving.  Competition for rotation spots should be a good one.  Everyone is only penciled in.

We can't spending money of expensive free agents because we are insecure!  Everyone we sign can be a health risk.  Shoe, Heaney, and Skaggs are cheap and potentially good.  Arrietta or any other FA is expensive, injury risk and could suck worse than the person they are replacing.  If the three get hurt again we have Ramirez, Tropeano, Bridwell and Barria.

If we have five starting pitchers hurt again we are going to struggle again regardless who is in our rotation

Any pitcher who's been ranked as high as #10  on a prospect lists yet can't stay on the field and has inconsistent results when he does is overrated by definition.  But that doesn't really matter at this point.   Our entire rotation is Tyler Skaggs.  It's like calling a prospect a Rondon.  

We need the best 890 innings (or so) from whoever we can get it from.   League avg .  ie 5.5 innings per start.  

There should be enough redundancy to get that job done.  should be.  But If I had to lay odds, it would be on Skaggs doing better than Bridwell.  

Skaggs' never been a good pitcher, so he can't be "overrated". For an athlete, especially a pitcher, to be "overrated", he must be a good pitcher. You can't "overrate" someone who isn't good since everyone knows he isn't good. Skaggs' best year was in 2014, and he was just "average" that year, posting an ERA of 4.30 in just over 100 innings.

He still has potential to be a really good pitcher but he's been hurt and struggles to go deep into games.