• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

54 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I hate to burst bubbles but I really think it will be between the Dodgers and Yankees. 

Dodgers beat out the Angels in talent on the field and in the minors plus have gone to the playoffs six seasons in a row with one World Series and are set to repeat. They also have a history that most Japanese ballplayers know of, the Angels have really no Japanese pressence.

Yankees beat the Angels with their history alone but also the talent on the field and first class facilities. You can't beat the Yankees if you want the be the most talked about player in baseball and they will pay to keep that player. It doesn't hurt that they are perrinial playoff contenders in a division that favors hitting. They also have ties with former Japanese players and have Matsui in the front office to pave the way.

Scrap up all the reasons the Angels are a potential candidate and this other two teams wipe them out.

I seem to recall speculation early on that, because of the salary cap, he would be looking for a team or market that would offer the most endorsement or marketing opportunities. While we all like to mock the Dodgers for their TV broadcast situation, they still pulled slightly higher ratings than the Angels (although both bottom 3rd in the league) and own their network. Yankees are obviously equipped to slap his giant face on every billboard and bank building in Manhattan. The Angels seem to really like bobbleheads and hat-based world records. 

Of course, if he's really considering the Padres, then maybe all he cares about is weather. Because they have f-all else going on down there. 

3 minutes ago, Jobu said:

I seem to recall speculation early on that, because of the salary cap, he would be looking for a team or market that would offer the most endorsement or marketing opportunities. While we all like to mock the Dodgers for their TV broadcast situation, they still pulled slightly higher ratings than the Angels (although both bottom 3rd in the league) and own their network. Yankees are obviously equipped to slap his giant face on every billboard and bank building in Manhattan. The Angels seem to really like bobbleheads and hat-based world records. 

Of course, if he's really considering the Padres, then maybe all he cares about is weather. Because they have f-all else going on down there. 

Don't forget bomb Mexican food in san diego...

45 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So Ohtani is in LA and so is Mike Trout because his Eagles are practicing here. 

I wonder if Eppler sets up a meeting between Trout and Ohtani?

Marketing pitch... We would like to boast having the best two players in our country and Japan's on the same team -- quite frankly the best two baseball players on planet. 

Great timing if that happens. Trout is like having an in-house Angels ambassador. 

8 minutes ago, Jobu said:

They've got a nice ballpark down there.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It's not like Matsui's legacy includes much of what he did here in his only season SEVEN years ago, and Hasegawa hasn't been here since the beginning of the new millennium.

Ohtani won't have to be compared to other Japanese stars here.    

As opposed to the dodgers, who have a rich recent history of Japanese star pitchers. If that really is a big factor for him, and if he really is in LA...

I have one question, regarding using him as the DH, is that just to prevent injury in the field? Like, if the guy can run to first in 3.8 seconds, and he has the arm to throw 99 MPH, then he certainly can play right or left or even center field. So is the DH time really just to keep him healthy?

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

I have one question, regarding using him as the DH, is that just to prevent injury in the field? Like, if the guy can run to first in 3.8 seconds, and he has the arm to throw 99 MPH, then he certainly can play right or left or even center field. So is the DH time really just to keep him healthy?

I would say throwing...  So probably the day after he pitches he is a DH, the day before he pitches a DH, but in between he plays the field.

The reason he's looking at West Coast teams is not only because of weather. It is because of the time difference to Japan, a shorter flight to Tokyo, and weather.

New York to Tokyo is 2-3 longer hours as a flight, versus LA to Tokyo. (Seattle is the shortest of the markets at 11 hours, versus 12 for LA and 14-15 for NY.)

But West Coast Games start at 7 PM PST usually. That's Noon in Tokyo. East Coast Games Start at 7 PM EST, which is 9 AM in Tokyo.

Note: Japan doesn't celebrate Daylight Saving Time, so when we spring forward in April, this will move forward by an hour. West Coast Games then begin at 11 AM. East Coast at 8 AM.

Afternoon Games on the West Coast start usually around 12:30 PM, which is then 6:30 AM, whearas Afternoon Games on the East Coast are basically unwatchable live, at 3:30-4:00 in the morning.