• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

Oh my!

Certainly would fill our SP (and maybe 1B) need!

EDIT: Wait the article doesn't specifically say they are targeting Ohtani, Tots. In fact it says they are more likely targeting Braves prospects that were lost.

Edited by ettin

Fletcher's tweet seemed to indicate Ohtani was going to be a legitimate target, but yes, the article didn't specify that.

Agree with Scotty though...this move puts them in the running.

·
Updated this story with this significant addition: The #Angels are going after Ohtani with this money.

5 minutes ago, KDWells said:

Being able to play with one of the best defensive catchers in the game and some dude named Mike Trout should be a pretty enticing option for him!

Trout, Upton and Simmons...not a bad group to be around.  

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

Oh my!

EDIT: Wait the article doesn't specifically say they are targeting Ohtani, Tots. In fact it says they are more likely targeting Braves prospects that were lost.

From the article:

The Angels bolstered their bullpen by acquiring veteran closer Jim Johnson from the Atlanta Braves on Thursday in exchange for a lightly regarded minor league pitcher, while also adding $1.21 million in intentional pool space that is earmarked to make a run at Japanese star Shohei Ohtani.

Ohtani is expected to be posted on Friday, and subject to international signing pool limitations. The Angels had used up almost all of their money. The extra space from the Braves puts the Angels at $1.315 million, which is seventh in the majors among teams whose spending isn’t capped by penalties.

5 minutes ago, ettin said:

Oh my!

If this goes down when I'm in the Caribbean I'm going to be pissed. 

Keep in mind, Ohtani is still going to get mega-money. The international bonus money just gets you in the game, along with the 20 million posting fee. Once a team signs him, they'll immediately begin discussing parameters for an extension.

For example, lets say the Angels offer him a 1.3 million bonus on top of the 20 million posting fee. After that, they are free to sign him to an extension that would buy out his arb and a couple free agent years. Something like 7 years 150 million.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe it will only go down if you are in the Caribbean did you ever stop to think of it that way?????

Come on Chuck take one for the team like a man!!!! It's not like you are going to be suffering drinking a goddamn Pina Colada while Ohtani is putting the final brush strokes on his signature at the Del Taco on Gene Autry Way right?

4 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

I'm confused, the article says they might go after one of the former Braves' prospects? Either way, I'd be happy as hell with Ohtani or Maitan.

Its phrased as a backup plan, which would make sense.

I'm very curious if this (ohtani) is just speculation or insider knowledge.

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

so...what you are saying is if the Angels make a significant move to improve the team, but you are off cavorting in the Caribbean...you'll be pissed, never forgive the Angels, and become a Red Sox fan?

wow

The Angels have two future hall of famers on their club, both of which I'm sure Ohtani knows full well about. I think when you consider that, with him wanting to play with American MLB legends & the fact that we have a large Asian population in the OC/LA, near the beach and playing in great weather -- why wouldn't Ohtani want to play here?

I could totally seeing Arte laying out the red carpet here. Gives us a legit #1 starter and a good bat for 1B/RF as well. 

4 minutes ago, red321 said:

so...what you are saying is if the Angels make a significant move to improve the team, but you are off cavorting in the Caribbean...you'll be pissed, never forgive the Angels, and become a Red Sox fan?

wow

Meaning I will have little to no website/Wi-Fi access and I'll miss out on all the fun here. 

9 minutes ago, red321 said:

pretty big difference between 1 & 7 on this list...kind of like being the 2nd best hitter on the Halos.

Seriously, I don’t buy this as money for Otani at all.  There are literally 3 teams almost 4 who can offer double the money.  One of those teams being the Yankees.  It’s just not realistic imo.  

That said, I think this is a very deft move to try and sweep up some of the nice adrift Braves prospects.  Perhaps others.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Seriously, I don’t buy this as money for Otani at all.  There are literally 3 teams almost 4 who can offer double the money.  One of those teams being the Yankees.  It’s just not realistic imo.  

That said, I think this is a very deft move to try and sweep up some of the nice adrift Braves prospects.  Perhaps others.

Fletcher literally said they are going after Ohtani.