• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t believe the Angels think it’s realistic for him to play a position. He has barely played defense in the last few years. I don’t think they want him getting hurt either. 

Your opinion on what the Angels may think or they told you this?

This guy  is nuts. Very good chance he'd get a huge deal in two years if he he waited.  Heck, even if he had two injury plagued seasons, he'd make more. I kinda want to scream like Eric Byrnes, but ill just enjoy some popcorn.

He'll probably end up pitching exclusively, or very close to it. 

I dont think he cares about being close to knotts berry farm, raising canes, or fritzs, but who knows. 

7 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm starting to think that Albert's full-time role is less secure than many think. Maybe he had a historically bad year in 2017 and unless he returns to 2016-level, when he was mediocre but decent enough to start, his job is in jeopardy. Even so, didn't someone say something about the Angels giving him more time off, maybe starting 120-130 games a year?

Furthermore, if Ohtani starts one out of five games, he probably starts 2 games as a hitter and 2 off as a pinch-hitter/runner. So that's 3 of 5 games that DH is open. If the Angels don't sign or trade for a first baseman, Albert can play a day or two a week at 1B. So:

Day 1: Ohtani pitches, Pujols DH

Day 2: Ohtani off, Pujols DH

Day 3: Ohtani DH, Pujols off (or 1B)

Day 4: Ohtani DH, Pujols off (or 1B)

Day 5: Ohtani off, Pujols DH

So even if Albert doesn't play 1B, he could still start 60% of the time at DH, with Ohtani taking the other 40%. With a fair amount of pinch-hitting, that gets Ohtani 300-350 PA, which is probably about all that can be expected.

Albert would still probably start 80% of the games (3 at DH, 1 at 1B), and Cron the other 80% at 1B.

I like this road map.  

Consider that Ohtani is Lhed as well so he won't be facing other lefties at the plate.   So when the team faces a lefty on days 3 and 4, it would likely be Pujols batting. 

However, I could see him (Ohtani) DHing on the day before or after his start once in awhile if the matchup is right.  Maybe even the occasional scenario where he actually hits for himself when he pitches.  

I bet the team would commit to getting him at bats despite what we know about MS and Albert.  It can be done.  

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t believe the Angels think it’s realistic for him to play a position. He has barely played defense in the last few years. I don’t think they want him getting hurt either. 

agree.  it's not barely.  it's essentially zero.  

He's actually played a total of 62 games as a position player over his 5 year career in Japan.  Zero the last 3 years.  8 in 2014.  54 in 2013 (RF and LF) - his first year as an 18yo.

I can't imagine his expectation would be that he'd be out on the field as anything other than a pitcher.  

I think Billy and the rest of the halo brass see an opportunity to obtain a true #1 starter at age 23 under control for the next six years at a reasonable cost.  Something we have very little chance to do otherwise.  We've got a couple guys that could end up as top of the rotation guys but they are a ways away.  Trading for one would essentially gut our farm and I don't really see any being available even if we were willing to do that.  Every free agent with top end stuff will cost a boatload and is on the wrong side of 30.  

This is a franchise changing player.  Even if he just ends up being a #2/3 with an OK bat, he's still worth every penny.  

If a youthful, talented player under the age of 27 is made available and they have more at least 3 years of club control, Eppler is going to be all over them regardless of the cost.  Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that we may have even been in on Chris Sale last year but just didn't have the juice to get it done.  

That's why I think we will not only go after Ohtani, but guys like Hernandez, and Suarez are also in play.   Other guys I could see him targeting are Aaron Nola, Michael Fulmer, Freddie Freeman, Yolmer Sanchez, Joe Panik (as the 3rd team in a Stanton trade to the Giants)

An offseason that netted us Upton, Ohtani, Hernanadez, Suarez and Chatwood plus a couple solid relievers would be a dream.  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

agree.  it's not barely.  it's essentially zero.  

He's actually played a total of 62 games as a position player over his 5 year career in Japan.  Zero the last 3 years.  8 in 2014.  54 in 2013 (RF and LF) - his first year as an 18yo.

I can't imagine his expectation would be that he'd be out on the field as anything other than a pitcher.  

I think Billy and the rest of the halo brass see an opportunity to obtain a true #1 starter at age 23 under control for the next six years at a reasonable cost.  Something we have very little chance to do otherwise.  We've got a couple guys that could end up as top of the rotation guys but they are a ways away.  Trading for one would essentially gut our farm and I don't really see any being available even if we were willing to do that.  Every free agent with top end stuff will cost a boatload and is on the wrong side of 30.  

This is a franchise changing player.  Even if he just ends up being a #2/3 with an OK bat, he's still worth every penny.  

If a youthful, talented player under the age of 27 is made available and they have more at least 3 years of club control, Eppler is going to be all over them regardless of the cost.  Frankly, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that we may have even been in on Chris Sale last year but just didn't have the juice to get it done.  

That's why I think we will not only go after Ohtani, but guys like Hernandez, and Suarez are also in play.   Other guys I could see him targeting are Aaron Nola, Michael Fulmer, Freddie Freeman, Yolmer Sanchez, Joe Panik (as the 3rd team in a Stanton trade to the Giants)

An offseason that netted us Upton, Ohtani, Hernanadez, Suarez and Chatwood plus a couple solid relievers would be a dream.  

What I'm reading is that his bat really won't play at DH. But he's a really good player if he's a 2-3 type starter who can pinch run late in games. Having a speed guy off the bench in the late innings without having to use a whole roster spot on one is great. It would allow the team to add a power hitter off the bench as a pinch hitter. I personally think he'll be more of a #1 or #2 starter. 

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I like this road map.  

Consider that Ohtani is Lhed as well so he won't be facing other lefties at the plate.   So when the team faces a lefty on days 3 and 4, it would likely be Pujols batting. 

However, I could see him (Ohtani) DHing on the day before or after his start once in awhile if the matchup is right.  Maybe even the occasional scenario where he actually hits for himself when he pitches.  

I bet the team would commit to getting him at bats despite what we know about MS and Albert.  It can be done.  

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

What I'm reading is that his bat really won't play at DH. But he's a really good player if he's a 2-3 type starter who can pinch run late in games. Having a speed guy off the bench in the late innings without having to use a whole roster spot on one is great. It would allow the team to add a power hitter off the bench as a pinch hitter. I personally think he'll be more of a #1 or #2 starter. 

Ohtani is a 2-way star player and he’s not leaving Japan to accept a limited role. He’s going to sign with a team that can provide him with a rotation spot / non pitching day full time DH spot / 4th outfielder. @Dochalohe just recently hit .375 with 7 homeruns in 96 at bats against left handed pitching. 

It seems like we are trying to rationalize why we are the perfect fit for him by trying to show him how we can dance around the big DH elephant in the room. He’s not coming here to sit. He’s coming here to pitch and also hit full time.

21 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Ohtani is a 2-way star player and he’s not leaving Japan to accept a limited role. He’s going to sign with a team that can provide him with a rotation spot / non pitching day full time DH spot / 4th outfielder. @Dochalohe just recently hit .375 with 7 homeruns in 96 at bats against left handed pitching. 

It seems like we are trying to rationalize why we are the perfect fit for him by trying to show him how we can dance around the big DH elephant in the room. He’s not coming here to sit. He’s coming here to pitch and also hit full time.

He didn’t hit full time in Japan.  He will probably DH 2-3 Times a week, but I seriously doubt he will DH every game he isn’t starting, nor should he.  I don’t think early in the season he will DH the day after a start.  Even if a team guarantees that it will be short lived. 

11 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Wait....does this mean they intend to have Ohtani DH or they don't intend to have him bat at all?

I mean if they aren't offering him a chance to pitch and hit, I think they can forget about competing for his services and spend that money on Maitan.

Also, do they really feel Pujols could play the field on a consistent basis like that?

It means they think Pujols can play 1B (or sit out, I suppose) as often as Ohtani DH’s.

Well if Adrian Beltre can play  3rd with his bad hip and legs, i don't see why Pujols can't plan 1st after having a " normal" off season. Plus you also have to consider that yes Ohtani did dominate in the KBO, buts this isn't the KBO. Just look at Eric Thames after the all-star break, also Thames was a much better hitter than Ohtani was in the KBO. with that said i think the rigid schedule and the adjustments are going to take an toll on Ohtani and he's going to switch to being a pitcher for most of the season.     

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Once he signs on the dotted line he doesn't have much of a say. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

He didn’t hit full time in Japan.  He will probably DH 2-3 Times a week, but I seriously doubt he will DH every game he isn’t starting, nor should he.  I don’t think early in the season he will DH the day after a start.  Even if a team guarantees that it will be short lived. 

In 2016 before he was injured he had a .416 obp so how do you let a guy with that kind of speed ride the pine? So we would have one DH that takes less than 4 seconds to get to first and another DH that takes 4 seconds to get out of the box. 

I think Ohtani would feel undervalued with the arrangements we can provide him. He’s out to prove he can do something that hasn’t been truly tested since Babe Ruth. I think it’s safe to say that we are not exactly a “perfect fit” for everything he brings.

22 minutes ago, Calzone said:

In 2016 before he was injured he had a .416 obp so how do you let a guy with that kind of speed ride the pine? So we would have one DH that takes less than 4 seconds to get to first and another DH that takes 4 seconds to get out of the box. 

I think Ohtani would feel undervalued with the arrangements we can provide him. He’s out to prove he can do something that hasn’t been truly tested since Babe Ruth. I think it’s safe to say that we are not exactly a “perfect fit” for everything he brings.

This isn’t a Ohtani/Albert decision Claude although I’m sure you’d like it to be.  It’s trying to preserve possibly your best pitcher and help limited his chance of injury. 

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

and you are making things up that no one knows and that have never happened in his professional career as obstacles to why we won't be able to get him.  

at least most of us are using an actual existing historical pattern of how he was used in Japan but you thing a major league team is going to pitch him every five days and let him DH the other 4.  Oh and be a 4th OFer where he hasn't seen one inning in three years.  Um okay.  

At the end of the day, if he wants to play on the Angels, they can appropriately accommodate him.