• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

Signing Ohtani would be a franchise-altering move.  We'd be getting, at worst, a #3 starter on a minor league deal who can DH on some nights.  At best, we'd be acquiring a future ace on a minor league contract.  That would be HUGE.  And it would, IMO, also be a motivating factor for us to go after Stanton, although based on the rumored deals with SF and STL, I think that ship has sailed.

That said, if he truly wants a "small market West coast team," then we absolutely have a shot, and a better one than SF, SEA, LA, as those are large markets.  It'd come down to us vs SD.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

So have Skaggs, Heaney, Meyer, Bedrosian,Smith, Richards, Shoemaker, Bailey, Norris, Street, Morin . . . . . . and that was just in 2017 

And this is one of the reasons im not as excited about this guy as maybe i should be. Our recdnt luck with pitchers has been a charlie brown cartoon.

I admit off the bat i dont know a ton about him. News of us being in on him is recent, so i hadnt even followed the guy. So maybe im totally wrong.

But are we targetting him as a pitcher? Thats fine. Is he good? (As in, we're looking at a front end starter? Again, i dont know much about him).

Are we targetting him as a bat? Chuck said hes a hybrid of some big japanese names, which is cool. But it doesnt sound like hed even hit 'most' of the time. So i cant get too excited about that, personally.

Ill support it, because we need the help. Im just not as excited as a lot on here, I guess, because Im not sure what really to expect of this guy. Doc says hes nit even a position player. So i guess part time DH (which unless were talking 4 games a week, IMO, not sure it will be much impact). And from the pitching side i cringe of what our recent luck with pitchers has been.

Id just be more comfortable targetting guys with set roles, personally. But if we sign this guy i hope im dead wrong and you bump this down the road.

2 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I have to believe that its going to come down to us or the Mariners. with the few facts that i've heard about ohtani's wants and the fact the Billy randomly made a trade to acquire intl bonus, i have to say our chances are good.

If the rumors that he wants to come to a place that he can establish his own legacy are true, then that would seem to rule out the Mariners, as they were the home to the greatest Japanese star to ever come to the MLB.  He would be compared to Ichiro non-stop, and that's a tough comparison to have to live up to.

The Padres, IMO, are a legitimate threat.  They are the smallest market and have a tremendous amount of minor league talent about to emerge in the next 2 years.  If Ohtani wants to go to an up-and-coming, small market West Coast team, that would be a strong one to consider.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

If the rumors that he wants to come to a place that he can establish his own legacy are true, then that would seem to rule out the Mariners, as they were the home to the greatest Japanese star to ever come to the MLB.  He would be compared to Ichiro non-stop, and that's a tough comparison to have to live up to.

The Padres, IMO, are a legitimate threat.  They are the smallest market and have a tremendous amount of minor league talent about to emerge in the next 2 years.  If Ohtani wants to go to an up-and-coming, small market West Coast team, that would be a strong one to consider.

I don't care what country a player comes from, nobody willingly chooses to go to the Padres. Nobody.

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And this is one of the reasons im not as excited about this guy as maybe i should be. Our recdnt luck with pitchers has been a charlie brown cartoon.

I admit off the bat i dont know a ton about him. News of us being in on him is recent, so i hadnt even followed the guy. So maybe im totally wrong.

But are we targetting him as a pitcher? Thats fine. Is he good? (As in, we're looking at a front end starter? Again, i dont know much about him).

Are we targetting him as a bat? Chuck said hes a hybrid of some big japanese names, which is cool. But it doesnt sound like hed even hit 'most' of the time. So i cant get too excited about that, personally.

Ill support it, because we need the help. Im just not as excited as a lot on here, I guess, because Im not sure what really to expect of this guy. Doc says hes nit even a position player. So i guess part time DH (which unless were talking 4 games a week, IMO, not sure it will be much impact). And from the pitching side i cringe of what our recent luck with pitchers has been.

Id just be more comfortable targetting guys with set roles, personally. But if we sign this guy i hope im dead wrong and you bump this down the road.

Allegedly, he has the upside of an ace.  Whether that comes into fruition, who really knows.  

I read somewhere in Japan, he started once a week and played the field a few days a week.  We can realistically provide him with something like that.  Have him start a certain day of the week (i.e. Sunday), then have him DH a few days in the middle of the week (Tu-Th?), and have him rest and prepare for his start otherwise.

I think he would be an average DH.  His bat is decent, but it seems he'd be just an average major league hitter.  His upside is as a pitcher, which is something we truly need.

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I don't care what country a player comes from, nobody willingly chooses to go to the Padres. Nobody.

They have a legitimate farm system, a consensus top 3 system I'd say.  SD is a great place to live.  We don't know what his exact priorities are.  It would seem presumptuous to rule out a team that has made it to his "finalists" list.  Obviously he seems something in them.  

Ohtani has some ties to the Padres as he trained at their ST facilities a few times. And with the murmurs of the Padres being involved in Hosmer, Preller's extension today, they seem to be looking to make a push. Definitely think they're on the short list. 

Mariners are the clear favorite I think right now, but imagine the Angels, Giants, Padres, and Dodgers aren't far behind, maybe even ahead if he wants to go somewhere without a prior Japanese star.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Ohtani has some ties to the Padres as he trained at their ST facilities a few times. And with the murmurs of the Padres being involved in Hosmer, Preller's extension today, they seem to be looking to make a push. Definitely think they're on the short list. 

Mariners are the clear favorite I think right now, but imagine the Angels, Giants, Padres, and Dodgers aren't far behind, maybe even ahead if he wants to go somewhere without a prior Japanese star.

If he wants to go somewhere without a previous Japanese star, then that just leaves the Angels, Giants, Padres.  We'll see...