• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

Wasn't there a rumor going around from sources saying he didn't want to go somewhere that a Japanese player has already gone and been a star? That eliminates the Dodgers and Mariners if true. We had Matsui but he didn't make his fame with us. 

I think the Padres are a real serious dark horse here. I think we are as well. I think he ends up as an Angel or a Padre with the Mariners placing third. Giants and Dodgers would be next. IMO

One of things they should offer him is if he signs, they'll go to a 6 man rotation. It's what he's used to in Japan. It would give him more opportunities to DH. Also, with pretty much every starter coming back from serious injuries, and none of them being innings eaters, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea even if they don't sign him.

What the Angels have to offer:

Mike Trout: The best player today. And shaping up to be one of the best all time. Under contract for at the very least the first three years that Ohtani is here.

Defense: You have one of the best defensive players the game has ever seen at SS. You have the reigning AL gold glove winner behind the plate. A former gold glove winner in RF. And these guys will be backing him up in a pitcher friendly ballpark 81 games per year.

Bullpen: The Angels bullpen was one of the best in baseball last year. 5th in WAR, 5th in FIP. Which shows that if he leaves the game with the lead they have a good chance of finishing the game off.

Arte: You have an owner that is willing to spend. Whether that is signing free agents Pujols/Upton or extending his own players Trout/Calhoun BEFORE reaching free agency.

Prime Core: The Angels core players are in the middle of their prime or just entering it Trout, Simmons, Upton, Calhoun, Richards, Heaney

If the rumors are true

Small Market: If small market is what he is truly after the Angels are right there. They have the best player in baseball that doesn’t get half of the media attention as players such as Judge and Harper. They are the perfect combination of small enough to stay out of the media attention while still having the monetary benefits of some of the bigger clubs.

Japanese Star: If he truly doesn’t want to go to a team that has a Japanese star player he likely doesn’t want to join Iwakuma in the Mariners rotation or live in the Ichiro limelight. 

The argument about Seattle being a closer flight to Japan seems pretty irrelevant. The difference is 1-2 hours and it’s not like he’s going to be flying back and forth throughout the year. He’s going to fly to Arizona for Spring Training regardless. So we’re talking about 1 flight home at the end of the season that will be 1-2 hours longer. 

If he's really serious about wanting to hit then it should come down to Angels and Mariners.  He a P/DH in Japan so why would he expect to play in the field in the MLB?

And if he's looking at Mariners can he really believe it's best for the team to move the #1 DH in baseball to LF to accommodate him being DH?.

It's realistic that the Angels would play Pujols at 1B when he DH's.

When Angels meet with him, they should bring the following players: Trout, Simba, G-Rich (to have pitcher), Pujols, and Upton. Upton would have a unique connection with Ohtani as someone who could have been a free agent to go elsewhere but found a liking for Anaheim. I think that could be a big selling point. 

25 minutes ago, jordan111280 said:

When Angels meet with him, they should bring the following players: Trout, Simba, G-Rich (to have pitcher), Pujols, and Upton. Upton would have a unique connection with Ohtani as someone who could have been a free agent to go elsewhere but found a liking for Anaheim. I think that could be a big selling point. 

I just hope they don’t introduce him to Tommy John. 

E17AF8B8-122F-4F13-ADF0-6513E536C8B7.jpeg

1 hour ago, jordan111280 said:

And Alex curry, obviously. And you introduce her as an "orange county 6."