• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

2 hours ago, Mark68 said:

Interesting that a city that has so many landmarks: the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Edgar Allan Poe's House, cheesesteaks...the landmark he most wants to see is a statue of a fictional movie character.

Wait... Rocky isn't a real person? 

Really?  Oh man...

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

You would think he could make up his mind by the 10th so the team landing him knows what to do at the Winter Meetings to put the best team around him.

For some reason, I don't see him having that perspective. I don't think individual players really think that way. I could be wrong, though.

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know Ohtani has 21 days to decide but the Winter Meetings start the 10th.

You would think he could make up his mind by the 10th so the team landing him knows what to do at the Winter Meetings to put the best team around him.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

For some reason, I don't see him having that perspective. I don't think individual players really think that way. I could be wrong, though.

Ohtani will probably be back in Japan by that time but I’m sure his agent will be at the Winter Meetings.

Lots being discussed about how unfit we are for Ohtani from a hitting perspective. But what many people are failing to realize in my opinion is what we can give him from a pitching perspective. Yes, he is going to be the face of a lot of things, but what the Halos can give him is what a lot of other teams can’t,  and that is Ace status. Ohtani can become the face of our rotation right off the get go, and hopefully for many years to come. 

1 minute ago, Zardawg16 said:

Lots being discussed about how unfit we are for Ohtani from a hitting perspective. But what many people are failing to realize in my opinion is what we can give him from a pitching perspective. Yes, he is going to be the face of a lot of things, but what the Halos can give him is what a lot of other teams can’t,  and that is Ace status. Ohtani can become the face of our rotation right off the get go, and hopefully for many years to come. 

Along with a fantastic defensive catcher and one of the best defensive SS in baseball history behind him. And maybe, before the offseason, a pretty good defensive 2B.

I'm starting to think that Albert's full-time role is less secure than many think. Maybe he had a historically bad year in 2017 and unless he returns to 2016-level, when he was mediocre but decent enough to start, his job is in jeopardy. Even so, didn't someone say something about the Angels giving him more time off, maybe starting 120-130 games a year?

Furthermore, if Ohtani starts one out of five games, he probably starts 2 games as a hitter and 2 off as a pinch-hitter/runner. So that's 3 of 5 games that DH is open. If the Angels don't sign or trade for a first baseman, Albert can play a day or two a week at 1B. So:

Day 1: Ohtani pitches, Pujols DH

Day 2: Ohtani off, Pujols DH

Day 3: Ohtani DH, Pujols off (or 1B)

Day 4: Ohtani DH, Pujols off (or 1B)

Day 5: Ohtani off, Pujols DH

So even if Albert doesn't play 1B, he could still start 60% of the time at DH, with Ohtani taking the other 40%. With a fair amount of pinch-hitting, that gets Ohtani 300-350 PA, which is probably about all that can be expected.

Albert would still probably start 80% of the games (3 at DH, 1 at 1B), and Cron the other 80% at 1B.

21 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'm starting to think that Albert's full-time role is less secure than many think. Maybe he had a historically bad year in 2017 and unless he returns to 2016-level, when he was mediocre but decent enough to start, his job is in jeopardy. Even so, didn't someone say something about the Angels giving him more time off, maybe starting 120-130 games a year?

Furthermore, if Ohtani starts one out of five games, he probably starts 2 games as a hitter and 2 off as a pinch-hitter/runner. So that's 3 of 5 games that DH is open. If the Angels don't sign or trade for a first baseman, Albert can play a day or two a week at 1B. So:

Day 1: Ohtani pitches, Pujols DH

Day 2: Ohtani off, Pujols DH

Day 3: Ohtani DH, Pujols off (or 1B)

Day 4: Ohtani DH, Pujols off (or 1B)

Day 5: Ohtani off, Pujols DH

So even if Albert doesn't play 1B, he could still start 60% of the time at DH, with Ohtani taking the other 40%. With a fair amount of pinch-hitting, that gets Ohtani 300-350 PA, which is probably about all that can be expected.

Albert would still probably start 80% of the games (3 at DH, 1 at 1B), and Cron the other 80% at 1B.

This is basically my ideal vision of what would happen. Hopefully with that much time off (and ideally being a bit more healthy), Pujols would hit a little better. Also, he appears to have a different, better swing in clutch situations, which may make him a good PH. Using 3 players for those two positions doesn't feel at all out of place when you consider one of them has to pitch, one of them is old and hurt, and one of them is young and streaky. If we could net 0 WAR out of those two positions, it would still be a HUGE improvement from last year (which netted close to -5, if my memory serves).

Ohtani will dictate how much he is played by his performance. If he hits like Ichiro or Matsui or some freakish combo of the two he'll be in the lineup most days.

He might get the day off before he starts but that may not always be a game day. And if that's the case you're looking at 140-145 games played likely. And if he doesn't hit when he pitches then that's 115 games basically in the field. If Pujols sits for 10-15 games and then also plays 1B for 60, you'd have maybe 65 starts at DH for Ohtani. Which leaves 50 in the field as an OF likely. Say he plays 3 for Trout and 7 for Upton, that leaves 40. Which means Calhoun sits for say 10-15 and that puts him at 1b for the other 25.

12 hours ago, Calzone said:

If this story is accurate or unless something is lost in the translation it sounds like Ohtani doesn’t want to share the spotlight with anyone and wants all of the attention. Buyer beware. 

give me a break.

On 11/30/2017 at 2:51 PM, wopphil said:

I see no reason the Angels wouldnt be an attractive option for him. West coast, good fan base, opening in the rotation, decent pool money. The biggest impediment is probably Pujols, who will make it almost impossible to play Ohtani at DH. But if the Angels would allow him to play first or right field, Pujols shouldn't be an issue.

I don’t believe the Angels think it’s realistic for him to play a position. He has barely played defense in the last few years. I don’t think they want him getting hurt either. 

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t believe the Angels think it’s realistic for him to play a position. He has barely played defense in the last few years. I don’t think they want him getting hurt either. 

Wait....does this mean they intend to have Ohtani DH or they don't intend to have him bat at all?

I mean if they aren't offering him a chance to pitch and hit, I think they can forget about competing for his services and spend that money on Maitan.

Also, do they really feel Pujols could play the field on a consistent basis like that?

36 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Just what I was thinking. A team that can provide him with a spot in the rotation and let him DH full time on his non-pitching days is going to sign him. A guy that can throw 100 mph needs to be protected and the DH position is the best way to do that. Oh well.