• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

6 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Can the Angels acquire any additional bonus money, or are they now capped? Miami still has a lot of money and probably has no chance at Ohtani. Could the Angels acquire Miami's pool money?

They can, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make. Ohtani's decision isn't really about money. If he wants to sign with the Angels, I can't see him turning them down because they can only offer him $1.3M instead of $2.2M or something.

With the cost involved to sign Ohtani, it seems there are no negatives. Let him try to pitch and hit. If he flops as a hitter, use him exclusively as a pitcher. If he flops at both hitting and pitching, trade or release him. The Angels have been burned before signing free agents, but the risk is only $1.3 mil.  They have paid journeyman RP'ers more. To me, it all looks like there is nothing but upside to this.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And his salary has to be along the lines of what a rookie would make?  

Yes. The Angels may get away with paying him between 550 and 600 but the player doesn't get to negotiate this so the Angels would be just giving him a goodwill gesture. (Like when they paid Trout $1M in his third year).

5 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

What does it mean to have the "ball in his court"?

Basically the financial commitment to get him is so small, relative to his perceived talent, that all 30 teams will offer him every penny they have left in their international pools. The Angels now have the 7th-largest amount to offer. Ohtani will have 21 days, starting tomorrow, to decide which team he wants. The teams will try to woo him with everything besides money, which is basically already established.

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And his salary has to be along the lines of what a rookie would make?  

Yes, he'll be a regular old 0-3 player, making a little over $500K in his rookie season, having 3 years of options, etc.

3 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Doesn't the fact that the Angels are expressing interest completely eliminate the possibility that they get him? Or is this the double-move they've been setting up for 14 years?

Every team is interested. The Angels publicly announcing it really means nothing, except perhaps they think that it will help woo Ohtani if they express their love in the media.

40 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They can, but I'm not sure how much difference it would make. Ohtani's decision isn't really about money. If he wants to sign with the Angels, I can't see him turning them down because they can only offer him $1.3M instead of $2.2M or something.

Where's the guy who always brings up California income tax... 

Just now, Randy Gradishar said:

Sorry, I was just being a dick; I believe Taylor was being sarcastic with the "eye on Ohtani" comment, so I sarcastically questioned the meaning of the phrase, "ball in his court".

Regarding the Angels' outward interest, that did actually occur to me after I posited the question: there really isn't a reason to be stealthy here, since every team is offering virtually the same exact money. So I agree that the Angels have no reason to be quiet, other than to avoid possibly disappointing the fanbase.

Right.  For the normal free agent, teams are mum about their interest because they want to keep the price down.  It's a free market, and if several teams openly state their intent/interest, the player's price goes up.

Ohtani is different though - there's a definitive cap with how much he can be offered, so there's no need to be coy about it.  Every team will offer the max bonus they can, and all 30 teams will be interested.  When you can get a 150-200+ million dollar player for a minor league contract, then yeah, every team is going to be lined up to get in on that deal.  

8 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Probably not.. .plus I promised the wife to unplug during our vacation. 

I could always break the rules though and sneak off somewhere and check the site. :)

Bathroom issues.  Take your tablet. :)

19 minutes ago, totdprods said:
·
Shohei Ohtani development: Multiple @MLB team execs believe Ohtani may actually prefer to sign with a club that doesn’t already have a Japanese star; Ohtani’s camp has not commented on that. @MLBNetwork

So now it's don't sign Darvish or Suzuki!

If this story is accurate or unless something is lost in the translation it sounds like Ohtani doesn’t want to share the spotlight with anyone and wants all of the attention. Buyer beware. 

13 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Interesting that in Ohtani’s questionnaire he asked to describe what type of facilities prospective teams have.

I wonder if he’s going to be more attracted to the newer ballparks and or spring training facilities. 

I'm guessing he just wants a solid training and rehab facility. I don't think that's too unusual.

12 minutes ago, Calzone said:

If this story is accurate or unless something is lost in the translation it sounds like Ohtani doesn’t want to share the spotlight with anyone and wants all of the attention. Buyer beware. 

·
Brandon Laird, Ohtani’s teammate in Japan, gave credence to that idea, saying, “I feel like he just wants to come and not be compared to other guys who have already been here — to start fresh on his own, show what he can do by himself.” @MLB

Laird also said elsewhere that Ohtani was more of a "for good of the team" type guy. And being that he's foregoing a huge payday, I think he'd rather not be the lone star on a team.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:
·
Brandon Laird, Ohtani’s teammate in Japan, gave credence to that idea, saying, “I feel like he just wants to come and not be compared to other guys who have already been here — to start fresh on his own, show what he can do by himself.” @MLB

Laird also said elsewhere that Ohtani was more of a "for good of the team" type guy. And being that he's foregoing a huge payday, I think he'd rather not be the lone star on a team.

Welcome to Oakland.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:
·

Based on the 2nd statement I don't interpret the first one as the way its being described. I see it as he means his skills do not compare to others so he doesn't want to be compared to darvish when darvish only pitches as well as ichiro who only hit. he wants to stand out on his own in terms of play not necessarily be the only Japanese player on a team. As respects the show what he can do by himself I take that to mean he wants to leave japan and show that his skills translate and aren't specific to Japanese competition.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:
·

Sounds like every bride I have ever met. 

10 hours ago, wopphil said:

Can the Angels acquire any additional bonus money, or are they now capped? Miami still has a lot of money and probably has no chance at Ohtani. Could the Angels acquire Miami's pool money?

The Angels could trade Baldoquin to Seattle for some of their money........why wouldn't Jerry want to reconnect and showcase his international talent evaluating and drafting ability?