• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think it's more just speculation that a MLB team will relegate him to 1B to preserve his health and his arm. And being that it's a 'simpler' position, they can ease him into it, which plays into the narrative of a team willing to give him opportunity to be a two-way player without shutting the door on him one way or another. 

I do agree that most MLB teams will probably have him be a SP and then just give him ABs where they can. It's going to be unlike anything we've seen. 

Could see the Angels signing someone like a platoon of Austin Jackson/Ben Revere and splitting him/them in OF, flipping Kole for a SP or a 2B/3B, leaving Cron/Valbuena at 1B, signing Ohtani as a SP, and then letting him steal ABs from OF/1B as available. A lot of moving parts.

But here’s the issue. We have a full time DH. That is the safest position to put him in when he’s not pitching. I think he just had an ankle surgery and did a lot of DHing.

There are a few different ways this could theoretically work.

1. The Angels go with a 6-man rotation so that each of their pitchers only go once per week. It not only fits what Ohtani is accustomed to in Japan, but could further limit and protect some of our starters coming off injury like Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Tropeano, even Ramirez if necessary. If there are 6 games per week, he pitches one, sits one, and plays the field for four.

2. The Angels could try to use him at 1B. He has the size and athleticism to handle it. It could serve to protect his arm as well.

3. The Angels could move him to RF (he's supposed to be pretty good out there), and Calhoun to 1B. Or they can trade Calhoun and sign one of the FA 1B.

4. Ohtani could be a position player and end up being a reliever as well.

I think Ohtani would have to be viewed as a RF. Because if he DH's and pitches, it would mean Albert has to play 1B and I just don't think his lower half can handle that stress at his age. But if Ohtani is pitching, it gives Albert a routine day of rest which could result in a healthier, more dangerous Pujols.

10 minutes ago, Calzone said:

But here’s the issue. We have a full time DH. That is the safest position to put him in when he’s not pitching. I think he just had an ankle surgery and did a lot of DHing.

I read somewhere that they'll be giving Pujols more days off in 2017 to keep him healthy. That gives Ohtani time to at DH and 1B when he's not pitching. 

6 minutes ago, SoWhat said:

So when exactly will he be posted?

As I understand, Friday, but from there, all 30 teams will be sending the 20 million posting fee, then after that Ohtani narrows his choices from the sales pitches being sent to his agent. Then after that he interviews with them, tours the ballpark, then after that he makes his decision. 

This process could literally go into mid-late January or could be over before the winter meetings in two weeks. We really don't know.

8 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

As I understand, Friday, but from there, all 30 teams will be sending the 20 million posting fee, then after that Ohtani narrows his choices from the sales pitches being sent to his agent. Then after that he interviews with them, tours the ballpark, then after that he makes his decision. 

This process could literally go into mid-late January or could be over before the winter meetings in two weeks. We really don't know.

I think he's got to decide within 21 days. So, December 22.

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I read somewhere that they'll be giving Pujols more days off in 2018 to keep him healthy. That gives Ohtani time to at DH and 1B when he's not pitching. 

I would love to have him in an Angels uniform but it certainly looks like we have to juggle a lot of lineup cards to make it work. The Skanks have a DH vacancy and he could pitch and platoon DH/RF with Judge. That and the short porch in Yankees Rf.

OHTANILAND sign is waiting but it’s going to be a tough sell with Pujols needing to DH most of the time. That and that tall ugly Rf wall.

1 minute ago, Calzone said:

I would love to have him in an Angels uniform but it certainly looks like we have to juggle a lot of lineup cards to make it work. The Skanks have a DH vacancy and he could pitch and platoon DH/RF with Judge. 

OHTANILAND sign is waiting but it’s going to be a tough sell with Pujols needing to DH most of the time. 

I think you'll see a combo of 1B and DH if Ohtani lands here. 

42 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sorry for the confusion, but the story is developing. It will say different things depending when you read it.

After writing the initial version,  I was told by a source that the impetus for the deal is money for Ohtani. It's been continually updated throughout the day.

at some other point I want to hear the journalistic reasoning behind updating/editing a published story instead of writing a new story.  Seems like this could lead to all kinds of #fakenews scandals if writers know they can change their articles.

1 minute ago, TroutBaseball said:

at some other point I want to hear the journalistic reasoning behind updating/editing a published story instead of writing a new story.  Seems like this could lead to all kinds of #fakenews scandals if writers know they can change their articles.

At some other point, we can have a very long discussion about it, but there are a lot of variables involved.

3 minutes ago, TroutBaseball said:

and no criticism meant by the question.  You're doing a fine job. I figure there's a lot of discussions about it.

No criticism taken. I understand how the process can go wrong. There are potential problems with all of the ways stories can evolve online, but it's all better than having to wait till the next day to get a static version of the story in your driveway.