• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marlins Hope To Trade Stanton, Gordon, Prado

Mark68

55 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i hate this subject because it just butters me up for disappointment. i know stanton isn't going to be an angel, and i'm not sure that is even a bad thing when considering dollars, but man it's hard not to get that little feeling in your balls at the thought of it.

Ive been saying all along we dont get him, and its almost a guarantee the dodgers (if anyone) do. 

The only hope I have is the Angels wanted him before. I dont knoe if that was the GM, or arte. If it was arte, theres a sliver of hope at least

20 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

But you don't know he will opt out.  If he snaps his leg like Kendrys Morales you are stuck with $295 million total.

There is big risk.

There isn't going to be a deal where a team takes the full financial obligation AND gives up high quality prospects.

A team will probably send some bodies but nothing that really hurts their farm system in losing.

The Marlins can dream all they want but it's not happening.

Now maybe Jeter offers to throw in a gift basket?  That could help bubble up a deal.  But remember this is a 13 year deal which is basically forever.  You deal with Jeter and what you get from him stays with you forever.

I'm sure he has some left over baskets that his wife doesn't want lying around any more.

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

So if the Dodgers end up with Stanton that probably puts Puig in play. Not that we want him but somebody will take a chance on him at his price and in a walk year. That just keeps the wheels turning for other deals and possibilities

If the Doggies trade for Stanton, more than likely Puig goes to the Marlins.  Kind of makes sense with the high Cuban population in Miami.  

2 hours ago, nando714 said:

Better question is what would happen to...

tolles, Thompson, pederson, Taylor, Hernandez , verdugo (prospect)

im sure some would go the other way to Miami 

The best question would be when do the Angels make an offer to our boy Bart!?

Apparently he plans to pitch in 2018

On 11/14/2017 at 7:55 AM, totdprods said:

I wonder if the Angels could be involved in a blockbuster Stanton trade....as part of a three-way deal with St. Louis. There are a lot of movable pieces between all teams that make sense.

I absolutely hate trying to wrap my head around 3-way deals because the number of permutations can be so excessive, so do not take what's mentioned below as an actual proposal, just a list of players who would be of interest to each team.

Cards interested in:
Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna/Calhoun
Bedrosian/Angels SP
Gordon/Prado/Valbuena/Cron 

Marlins interested in:
Cards SP prospects
Calhoun/Piscotty/Grichuk (filler OF
Angels OF prospects
Angels SP depth

Angels interested in:
Any Marlins/Cardinals OF
Gordon/Wong
Gyorko/Carpenter/Dietrich
Marlins RP

It'd mostly be the Angels taking on redundant salary that fills needs to help the Cardinals facilitate bringing on Stanton, not the other way around. 
The Angels do not assume any heavy financial risk, just a lot of mid-level players with reasonable contracts, maybe getting one plus-value player like a Piscotty or Ozuna depending on the prospects they give up and salary they take on - this ties in with the upgrading RF rumor too. 

Basically, the Cards are very interested in Marlins OF (and OF in general) and already have a number of interesting OFs in house that could be flipped. 
Cards also have a number of OBP machines (it's obscene - Carpenter .384, Wong .376, Gyorko .341, Pham .411, Fowler .363, Piscotty .342, Martinez .379, Garcia .365) that could fit the Angels needs. There's a lot of middling salary between the teams that could be exchanged to help fit needs and facilitate a mega-contract (and the dead money that could come with it) and a ton of SP/OF prospect depth between STL/LAA that could go back to Miami.

Totdprods needs to be kept away from alcohol and sharp instruments until his doctor gets his meds straightened out.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Totdprods needs to be kept away from alcohol and sharp instruments until his doctor gets his meds straightened out.

Yeah yeah yeah....I already mentioned the unlikeliness of it. But, if you pool the clues together, I think there's something to it. Likely not as extreme as the most wild combination possible.

This is all going off tweets from writers and our sources on the message board so of course, it's repute only goes as far as those speaking about it, but the following is all pretty well taken to be truths:

1) The Angels have considered upgrades for RF...
Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna all would be upgrades over Calhoun. In theory, some of STL's OFs could be an 'upgrade' over Calhoun, depending on how you define upgrade (i.e., higher upside, younger, hits left-handed, cheaper contract, one specific skill far better than Kole...)

2) The Angels are intent on improving OBP...
Pretty much any Cardinals regular (IF or OF) would lead the Angels in OBP, aside from Trout. Same applies for any Marlins OF.

3) The Marlins are desperate to shed payroll...
Jeter even said today that Stanton is the one everyone points at because he makes the most, but there are other ways to shed payroll. Regardless of whether they deal Stanton or Yelich or Ozuna, attaching 'bad' salary would be essential in a deal to make it worth moving any of those three OFs. 

4) Cardinals want an OF especially Stanton, and can trade OF/SP to do so. The Angels have plenty of OF prospect depth and cheap MLB SP depth. The Marlins need all of that.
I would think Yelich or Ozuna are more valuable, but perhaps STL wants someone tried and true like Stanton and they're not willing to pay a premium on Yelich never developing further or Ozuna reverting to merely a 'good' OF (both, I think, would be unlikely, but not impossible)

5) The Angels have holes all across the infield. 
And the Cardinals and Marlins have a log-jam of mid-tier contracts that may need to move in a deal, regardless of who goes where.

Three-way proposals are almost always ridiculous and way too complicated for any fan to propose - that's why I didn't bother putting together anything specific - but I don't think it's silly to look at these teams needs, the players involved, and the financial implications and recognize that the three teams match up well. That could take the form of a grand three-way deal involving the biggest names possible (very unlikely), or maybe something simpler, but I do think there's potential for discussion.