• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marlins Hope To Trade Stanton, Gordon, Prado

Mark68

1 minute ago, floplag said:

That would depend entirely on what his choices are. 
Put yourself in that place, fandom aside, and you have a choice between us and the Dodgers right now, where do you go?  We both know the answer and it doesn't wear red. 

Not so much directly at you UTH but some guys here want everything both ways... all i read here is how the farm sucks, but somehow we have what it takes to make this trade?  Ownership wont spend money, but they will take on 300 mil?  Calhoun and Cron suck, but they would get us Stanton?  Some of you just want to argue for the sake or arguing and dont really have a point to make.

You're implying that those are all the same people making the same points. 

Just now, tdawg87 said:

You're implying that those are all the same people making the same points. 

Not at all, its just funny to me how i read so much negative stuff about the club being at best average, shitty farm and cheap front office but somehow this makes sense.    Not directed at anyone in specific. 

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t believe the farm is shitty, but it’s years away from helping the big club except as trade bait. 

In my opinion should we retain upton or pull off some miracle trade for Stanton, our farm strength is essentially negated as the majority of our depth is in the outfield. So we should probably use it to get some prime level big league pitching or pull another simmons type trade at a position like 2nd or 3rd base.

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Not at all, its just funny to me how i read so much negative stuff about the club being at best average, shitty farm and cheap front office but somehow this makes sense.    Not directed at anyone in specific. 

Marlins will have to settle for marginal prospects if they want to unload that huge contract.  Angels only have marginal prospects so that not "realistic". . .

Angels are only like 50 million under the luxury tax and Stanton is really expensive, plus he would probably rather play for the Dodgers (over the luxury tax) so how tight the Angels are on this luxury tax also makes it not "realistic" . . .

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Marlins will have to settle for marginal prospects if they want to unload that huge contract.  Angels only have marginal prospects so that not "realistic". . .

Angels are only like 50 million under the luxury tax and Stanton is really expensive, plus he would probably rather play for the Dodgers (over the luxury tax) so how tight the Angels are on this luxury tax also makes it not "realistic" . . .

What you call "marginal" in the larger sense of things in our best, its a matter of perspective.
50 mil pre-arbitration adjustments also as i recall. 
So in summary this would take us sending our best prospects AND taking on a ton of cash AND possibly not addressing other needs in all likelihood.  
Not to mention the Angels aren't the only team likely in the mix, or did you forget that part? 
This is how you define realistic?   I get that you are hung up on that word, but thats your problem.  As far as im concerned realistic in this case means probable, and I dont see this as such.  You want to argue over the definition of the word, whatever, ill pass on that waste of time. 
Its clear you want this badly, i guess well see what happens in the end.  I've said many times i would be fine with it as long as it doesn't prevent other needs from happening.  

19 minutes ago, floplag said:

What you call "marginal" in the larger sense of things in our best, its a matter of perspective.
50 mil pre-arbitration adjustments also as i recall. 
So in summary this would take us sending our best prospects AND taking on a ton of cash AND possibly not addressing other needs in all likelihood.  
Not to mention the Angels aren't the only team likely in the mix, or did you forget that part? 
This is how you define realistic?   I get that you are hung up on that word, but thats your problem.  As far as im concerned realistic in this case means probable, and I dont see this as such.  You want to argue over the definition of the word, whatever, ill pass on that waste of time. 
Its clear you want this badly, i guess well see what happens in the end.  I've said many times i would be fine with it as long as it doesn't prevent other needs from happening.  

Nobody thinks it is probable.  So thank you for admitting you have made no point.

Stanton reportedley has almost 200 pre-signed baseball with #27 on them.  He is not getting #27 with the Angels for obvious reasons, rendering those pre-signed balls useless.

That's like  $12,000 of value lost for him, again showing this notion that the Angels could acquire him is not realistic.

Wants to win.  Probably prefers big market team that has shown it will spend.  Check.

Needs to be one of the teams that, under any circumstances, would carry a contract that size.  Check.

Needs to be a team that now and in the near future has the salary space to take on his contract.  Check.

Needs to be a team hungry for a big bat.  Check.

Does not need to be a team with stellar prospects.  Check.

Must be a team in a location he wants to play since he has no trade rights.  Assumed, likely check.

6 for 6 on if this idea is realistic.

Probable or likely are different stories.  A fair look has maybe 7 teams that you could argue might be a fit for Stanton.  If your real point is, at best, the Angels are only among about 7 teams where it could work then maybe we actually agree.

You tell me I clearly really want this to happen.  I am fine with it happening if it did.  But I am not obsessed with it.

I suspect you are simply very emotionally against it, and firmly set that way on it.

So just say that.

The Angels can afford Stanton and Upton, so long as they can find a taker for Calhoun's contract. But committing big money to both guys would require finding a low cost option for third or second.

And we still need to fill a rotation spot (I am not at all convinced Eppler won't be pursuing one of Cobb, Lynn, Tanaka, Arrieta or Darvish).

15 minutes ago, wopphil said:

The Angels can afford Stanton and Upton, so long as they can find a taker for Calhoun's contract. But committing big money to both guys would require finding a low cost option for third or second.

And we still need to fill a rotation spot (I am not at all convinced Eppler won't be pursuing one of Cobb, Lynn, Tanaka, Arrieta or Darvish).

I am increasingly confident that if Eppler wanted to spend big and somehow add both Stanton and Upton, he can fill the infield needs cheaply by waiting out the market and snagging guys like Asdrubal Cabrera or Jed Lowrie or Lucas Duda or whomever falls into bargain range. Still think Gordon could be in play too if we're taking Stanton's contract. 

For pitching, I was strongly pushing for Eppler to sign a mid-tier stabilizing rotation arm, but am starting to change my tune there, especially if he goes that heavy on improving the offense. If he can continue working his magic on finding guys like Ramirez(es), Bridwell, Parker, Petit, Norris, Hernandez, then I'm all for him sticking to that trend. Guys like Mikolas could be of interest.

16 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Nobody thinks it is probable.  So thank you for admitting you have made no point.

Apparently neither did you if that wasn't your point in the first place.   You went full dick mode over a word that you didn't even believe in?  
Jesus this place has gone full toxic  

18 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Stanton reportedley has almost 200 pre-signed baseball with #27 on them.  He is not getting #27 with the Angels for obvious reasons, rendering those pre-signed balls useless.

That's like  $12,000 of value lost for him, again showing this notion that the Angels could acquire him is not realistic.

Once I realized what you were doing, I lol'd.