• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marlins Hope To Trade Stanton, Gordon, Prado

Mark68

9 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This would make sense if the Angels were in a vacuum, and there were no other teams that could offer a package 10 times better than Cron and Calhoun. 

Yes but how many teams realistically would be able take on those contracts?

if that theoretical trade happened, it's not because the Marlins want Cron and Calhoun. It's because the Angels are willing to take those contracts and are fine shedding Cron and Calhoun to save some money, and the Marlins see two players they can easily afford to field or flip.

And yes, it means no other team was willing to offer a better deal and take on that money and pay better players. I would think that list is very short though. 

I think the Yanks, BSox and Dogs will all be willing to take on Stanton's whole contract.  Maybe the Cubs as well and we know the Giants would do it.  There will definitely be some competition and it could boil down to where Stanton wants to play which could actually give us a bit of an advantage.  But bear in mind, the Dogs payroll has a lot expiring in the near future.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think the Yanks, BSox and Dogs will all be willing to take on Stanton's whole contract.  Maybe the Cubs as well and we know the Giants would do it.  There will definitely be some competition and it could boil down to where Stanton wants to play which could actually give us a bit of an advantage.  But bear in mind, the Dogs payroll has a lot expiring in the near future.  

I have to believe they are eying Harper with that money. 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

This would make sense if the Angels were in a vacuum, and there were no other teams that could offer a package 10 times better than Cron and Calhoun. 

Except that it won't be about the package that is offered. Really, the Marlins just want to get out from under the rest of that contract. They'll take a couple of low floor, high ceiling prospects (probably wouldn't need to be even that good).

In the end, Giancarlo will have decision-making authority over where he plays, with that no-trade clause. It would be up to the Marlins to make it happen.

Adell, Jones, Calhoun, Thiass and take on the entire contract for Stanton and Gordon. Adell and Jones have no spot in the future OF if we're rolling out Upton, Trout, Stanton for the next 5 years+. Thiass is a Cron type meh guy and Calhoun is cost friendly for them. Nothing much else we can offer maybe Barria. All up to Miami and Stanton if they want to take that. I'm sure plenty of teams can come up with better packages but we can take on the money.

The Marlins are trying to shed as much payroll as possible and acquire as many cost controlled talent as possible in return. The only established veteran the Marlins would take in any deal would be Altuve. Altuve has the most team friendly contract in professional sports now that Steph Curry finally got paid. If you're thinking of trading veterans, you're going to need to get other teams involved in three, or four, way deals. For example, you trade your veteran player(s) to another team who then ships their young, cost controlled players on to the Marlins. Or, you would have to pay a significant portion of your veterans remaining salary and pick up all of Stanton's and Prado's salaries. I have a feeling that no one is getting Stanton unless they take Prado's, and probably, Gordon's salaries as well.

9 minutes ago, HaloCory22 said:

Adell, Jones, Calhoun, Thiass and take on the entire contract for Stanton and Gordon. Adell and Jones have no spot in the future OF if we're rolling out Upton, Trout, Stanton for the next 5 years+. Thiass is a Cron type meh guy and Calhoun is cost friendly for them. Nothing much else we can offer maybe Barria. All up to Miami and Stanton if they want to take that. I'm sure plenty of teams can come up with better packages but we can take on the money.

I don't think we can afford to give up both Jones and Adell. Trout, Upton and Stanton will only be together 3 or 4 years tops which is around when we should expect to be able to make use of these guys. The team needs to decide where they are gona place their bets with a move like this.

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't think we can afford to give up both Jones and Adell. Trout, Upton and Stanton will only be together 3 or 4 years tops which is around when we should expect to be able to make use of these guys. The team needs to decide where they are gona place their bets with a move like this.

Plenty of time to draft and groom another OFer.

4 hours ago, Calzone said:

Well Stanton could choose to stay put. He’s working in Florida and is thriving in one of the newest ML stadiums with the best contract in MLB. 

Except he himself has been quoted as saying he doesn’t want to be part of another rebuild. 

If Upton opts-out and we do not re-sign him, Stanton becomes quite achievable. If you pick up Giancarlo and one of either Gordon or Prado you could probably convince them to part, for additional prospects, Jose Urena and/or Justin Bour (sending Cron to them in the latter instance).

There are just so many ways this off-season can go.

5 hours ago, nando714 said:

It helps the Nats 

marlins can flip him for prospects at the deadline or earlier  and lose Stanton contract 

It really doesn't help the Nats trading off their home grown superstar without even trying to get a contract extension whilst picking up a player that can walk in three years. 

If the Marlins took on any of Cron, Calhoun, Valbuena, Shoemaker, Ramirez....it'd only be because of the money it would be saving the Angels. Not because they targeted those players or were seeking player value for player value in a Stanton mega-deal. 

The only reason those names are being mentioned is because they're the closest thing the Angels have to tradeable 'high-dollar' contracts.

The Angels are essentially salary dumping those players back onto Miami to clear room for the incoming Marlin contracts as they can replace those players from within with guys like Bridwell, Tropeano, Marte, Hermosillo. The Marlins don't mind it because those players are cheap enough for them to afford and productive enough to trade for prospects if they really need to save money. Basically, the Angels would be trading those players for cash considerations. A better argument would not be about the Marlins wanting those players for Stanton, but that the Angels could/should be getting more for those players in a deal than saving money.

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

13 hours ago, Lou said:

I have to believe they are eying Harper with that money. 

If Stanton was a left handed hitter the Yankees would be all over this. I think their focus is on Otani. If they don’t get Otani they will wait on Harper. Both are lefties that could rake at Yankees stadium. 

14 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think the biggest tick against the Dodgers is whether they even really need Stanton. Sure they could use more offense, but between Seager and Bellinger, and to a lesser extent, Taylor, Puig, Pederson, and Verdugo on the way, they have plenty of nice bats to build around - and eventually those guys will either get expensive via arbitration or extension. Stanton would be nice but with his price tag, would he really be worth it?

They need to invest in pitching in the short-term to stay competitive (they can't lean on an aging Kershaw and old man Hill forever) and eventually may need dollars to keep guys like Urias and Buehler too.

They certainly have the pockets to do it but I don't think it's a move they really need to make.

17 minutes ago, Calzone said:

If Stanton was a left handed hitter the Yankees would be all over this. I think their focus is on Otani. If they don’t get Otani they will wait on Harper. Both are lefties that could rake at Yankees stadium. 

I could be wrong but I think Otani’s contract is decided by international pool money, plus the $20 million posting fee.  In other words every single team can afford him as long as they have pool money.  I guess my point is Otani probably doesn’t prevent any team from acquiring big dollar players.  At least that is my understanding. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think the biggest tick against the Dodgers is whether they even really need Stanton. Sure they could use more offense, but between Seager and Bellinger, and to a lesser extent, Taylor, Puig, Pederson, and Verdugo on the way, they have plenty of nice bats to build around - and eventually those guys will either get expensive via arbitration or extension. Stanton would be nice but with his price tag, would he really be worth it?

They need to invest in pitching in the short-term to stay competitive (they can't lean on an aging Kershaw and old man Hill forever) and eventually may need dollars to keep guys like Urias and Buehler too.

They certainly have the pockets to do it but I don't think it's a move they really need to make.

Didn’t I read that Urias career is in danger because of some crazy injury?