• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marlins Hope To Trade Stanton, Gordon, Prado

Mark68

From MLBTR:

"Talk of a possible Stanton swap has been building in earnest for months. And it comes as little surprise to hear that the team is indeed preparing to market him, given its reported intentions of making significant payroll reductions in the first offseason under new ownership. Obvious as it may be that now is the time to part with the slugger, it’s notable that the team has evidently chosen its direction even as it prepares to sit downwith him in a few days’ time. (Stanton, of course, enjoys full no-trade protection and so will have a major say in things.) And the team’s reported intentions perhaps hint that the focus could be on moving all of Stanton’s salary rather than maximizing the prospect return."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/marlins-hope-to-trade-stanton-gordon-prado.html

Calhoun, Shoemaker, a couple OF prospects for all three. Won't need the OF prospects anymore and shedding Calhoun and Shoemaker frees up money. Marlins may even eat a bit of salary if you take on one of their expensive relievers like Tazawa or Ziegler as well.

Would fill essentially every offensive need in one move. Re-sign Upton and stick with cheap pitching pickups.

Gordon 2B, Trout CF, Upton LF, Stanton RF, Pujols DH, Simmons SS, Cron 1B, Valbuena/Prado 3B, Maldonado C

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Calhoun, Shoemaker, a couple OF prospects for all three. Won't need the OF prospects anymore and shedding Calhoun and Shoemaker frees up money. Marlins may even eat a bit of salary if you take on one of their expensive relievers like Tazawa or Ziegler as well.

Would fill essentially every offensive need in one move. Re-sign Upton and stick with cheap pitching pickups.

Gordon 2B, Trout CF, Upton LF, Stanton RF, Pujols DH, Simmons SS, Cron 1B, Valbuena/Prado 3B, Maldonado C

Zero chance the Marlins would take on Calhoun and/or Shoe's contract. Zero.

2 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Zero chance the Marlins would take on Calhoun and/or Shoe's contract. Zero.

Why? Calhoun's contract is extremely reasonable and affordable, and Shoemaker is still in arbitration and has a dire need in the rotation. Compared next to Stanton, Gordon, and Prado, their contracts are a steal.

They can also turn around and flip both at the deadline or next offseason. 

55 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Why? Calhoun's contract is extremely reasonable and affordable, and Shoemaker is still in arbitration and has a dire need in the rotation. Compared next to Stanton, Gordon, and Prado, their contracts are a steal.

They can also turn around and flip both at the deadline or next offseason. 

I heard Jetter wants to reduce payroll to $50M, so even Shoemaker and Calhoun are more than they want to spend.

I don't think you can acquire Stanton and keep Upton. And you certainly can't keep Upton and bring in both Gordon and Stanton.

I doubt the Marlins will have to eat a lot of salary to move Stanton. Stanton's deal is a bargain compared to what Harper is going to get. I think the way a team puts themselves in the best position to acquire Stanton is to also take on the other bad contracts (Gordon, Prado).  And I don't see the Angels going that big. 

Look at the World Series.  Is there something to learn about the kind of bats you need to have to be legitimate?

Stanton embodies the kind of bat every team needs.  A game changer.

He is in his prime with arguably many of his best years ahead of him.

I think we are 1-2 years away from Stanton's salary being considered a bargain.  My guess is he opts out which means the Angels would get 3 prime years and mot be on the hook for the whole contract anyway.

In one move having Stanton here with Trout elevates this roster and lineup to an entirely different level.

The team would then be probably one other modest upgrade offensively away from being a legit true contender lineup, achievable by trading a bit of pitching depth.

Many are afraid of big bold moves because of Hamilton and Pujols.  But mental discipline needs to take over here.

Pujols was way older.  And Hamilton was a drug addict.

How those two moves would scare people away from a 28 year old who hit 59 homers makes no sense to me.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I heard Jetter wants to reduce payroll to $50M, so even Shoemaker and Calhoun are more than they want to spend.

They want to reduce payroll to $90m. 
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/marlins-rumor-trade-giancarlo-stanton-payroll-90-million.html

Calhoun and Shoemaker are very tradeable with their current salaries. 

The only way the Marlins are going to move their untradeable contracts, Prado, Ziegler, Tazawa, Volquez, and Chen (and Gordon depending on how you value his skills) is if you package them with Stanton or Yelich. 

Since the Marlins farm is crap, their best route is dealing Yelich (and one contract that doesn't tank his value) for elite prospects and dealing as many of the rest with Stanton without getting much back. Gradually sell off Ozuna, Calhoun, Riddle, Realmuto, Bour, Shoemaker, etc. as the team slips out of contention or one at a time to avoid the firesale image that haunts the Marlins fanbase. Those players are still a good enough core to threaten for a WC.

You may even get the Marlins to eat some salary if you give them enough affordable, useful players back and prospects.

I don't think Stanton is realistic, though it would be nice.   My fear on an acquisition like that is that it would block other needs, and one outfielder doesnt solve this clubs issues.   
Gordon on the other hand is precisely what this team needs and is very viable without hand cuffing the club to address other concerns.  
Both, well that speaks for itself but still, cant be in lieu of other concerns, must be in addition.  

Its far to early but my dream off season at this point would be to keep Upton, trade for Gordon, sign Moustakis, and solidify the bullpen.   

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

I don't think Stanton is realistic, though it would be nice.   My fear on an acquisition like that is that it would block other needs, and one outfielder doesnt solve this clubs issues.   
Gordon on the other hand is precisely what this team needs and is very viable without hand cuffing the club to address other concerns.  
Both, well that speaks for itself but still, cant be in lieu of other concerns, must be in addition.  

Its far to early but my dream off season at this point would be to keep Upton, trade for Gordon, sign Moustakis, and solidify the bullpen.   

This is certainly a more reasonable scenario although I'm not super hot on Moustakis.

26 minutes ago, floplag said:

I think you have a dozen posts regarding getting Stanton as not realistic or we don't have the resources or whatever.

You have never made any legitimate point to show it is not realistic or that the Angels don't have the resources.

Actually predicting the Angels will get him is silly because lots of teams likely would love to have him.

But to keep beating the drum of it being unrealistic is kind of an eye roller.

If I'm a Marlin's fan, or a resident of the Miami area...I'm starting to wonder what the hell.

First Loaria with the continuous tear downs, fleeces the city and state for a new stadium and gets out of town with a dollar bills falling out of his pockets and now a new ownership group comes in...and immediately starts cutting payroll once again.

That and they'll probably retire Jeter's number

Edited by red321

As much as I'd love to have Stanton, if it is him or Upton I'll go with Upton. Why, considering that Stanton >>> Upton? Well, Upton won't cost tons of premier prospects. Even if the Angels take on all of Stanton's contract, he's still going to require quite a haul of prospects while Upton will cost none - just money. Lots of teams will be interested in Stanton, including some with deeper farm systems. Just to be taken seriously, the Angels would need to start with a package of four or more of their top 20 prospects - maybe something like Barria, Marsh, Ward, and Suarez (or similar configuration), and probably someone will well outbid that.

44 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Keep Calhoun and put him in LF so they don't have to resign Upton...saves a lot of $'s that way.

First Upton needs to opt out. Second you need to convince Miami we have enough pieces to pull off this trade and do it quickly before Upton signs somewhere else, in case we can't trade for Stanton. I think this is risky and highly unlikely but I would be happy if the improbably became possible.