• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marlins Hope To Trade Stanton, Gordon, Prado

Mark68

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Apparently neither did you if that wasn't your point in the first place.   You went full dick mode over a word that you didn't even believe in?  
Jesus this place has gone full toxic  

I guess you still don't get the point?  For the most part actually predicting any individual player under contract being trafed to any specific team as probable would be close to idiotic.

So you basically chanting that Stanton to the Angels as not "realistic" with arguments as to why it is not realistic are fair game to debate.

No, you don't escape your bad arguments with the cover of "it isn't probable". . .

I dont think I went dick mode.  I went sarcastic to make a specific point.  And that didn't even work since you still don't get it.

19 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The Angels have completed their outfield alignment with the Upton contract restructure. Their focus will be 2nd and 3rd base.

i believe this is true, also.

i think this board is getting a little worked up over something that seems like a virtual certainty to not be in eppler's plans. although, i do think that jeter and eppler are a natural fit as negotiation partners, due to their yankee history together, but i don't know the the extent of their relationship. i would assume it to be very likely that they will discuss a player swap, so it's not much a stretch to think they will at least mention the name of stanton, and see if it goes anywhere. btw, every other gm will do the same.

i think the angels are reasonably likely to get something done with miami on gordon and if all goes well, maybe pry away ozuna or straily, possibly a young bullpen arm.

51 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess you still don't get the point?  For the most part actually predicting any individual player under contract being trafed to any specific team as probable would be close to idiotic.

So you basically chanting that Stanton to the Angels as not "realistic" with arguments as to why it is not realistic are fair game to debate.

No, you don't escape your bad arguments with the cover of "it isn't probable". . .

I dont think I went dick mode.  I went sarcastic to make a specific point.  And that didn't even work since you still don't get it.

Funny it always the other guys that misses the point, lol  
I guess well see how it turns out, but your definition of realistic is a hell of a lot wider than mine is all that can be said i suppose. 

35 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

With the re-upping of Upton, Gordon should be pursued.

A .340 OPB from the lead off spot over the last four years.

208 SB's over the last four years.

Trade for Gordon, sign Mouse...and call it an offseason.

I know some don't like Moustakas and Gordon here, but after locking up Upton if that's what we ended up doing this offseason I would be ecstatic. 

6 hours ago, wopphil said:

The Angels can afford Stanton and Upton, so long as they can find a taker for Calhoun's contract. But committing big money to both guys would require finding a low cost option for third or second.

And we still need to fill a rotation spot (I am not at all convinced Eppler won't be pursuing one of Cobb, Lynn, Tanaka, Arrieta or Darvish).

With the offensive power of Trout, Stanton, and Upton, we can afford a light hitting 3b if he plays stellar defense.  We have in Cowart.  2B would be a need to upgrade but wasn't in the Primer that its possible to keep Upton, get Stanton, and Gordan?  That will solve our every day positions....Pujols isn't going anywhere, we improve 2b, RF, and LF (season production).  Valbueno and Cowart battle for 3b with Valbueno being a better slugger and Cowart better defender.  Cron is just fine at 1b.  Catcher is good.

23 minutes ago, stormngt said:

With the offensive power of Trout, Stanton, and Upton, we can afford a light hitting 3b if he plays stellar defense.  We have in Cowart.  2B would be a need to upgrade but wasn't in the Primer that its possible to keep Upton, get Stanton, and Gordan?  That will solve our every day positions....Pujols isn't going anywhere, we improve 2b, RF, and LF (season production).  Valbueno and Cowart battle for 3b with Valbueno being a better slugger and Cowart better defender.  Cron is just fine at 1b.  Catcher is good.

I still think in a theoretical Stanton deal, the only way the Angels are getting him is if they're taking on some additional 'bad money' such as Dee Gordon and perhaps Martin Prado. It cannot be understated how big of a favor you're doing Miami by taking Prado's contract. It is impossible to trade him for anything at this point, even as a salary dump. Gordon's contract is scary to most teams as well. You can get Miami to eat some money by taking those three. 

Prado and Valbuena could form a nice platoon at 3B (though they could certainly be terrible too, but with an OF of Upton, Trout, and Stanton it's worth the risk)  and Cron can then handle 1B fulltime. Dee at second.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the Angels could be involved in a blockbuster Stanton trade....as part of a three-way deal with St. Louis. There are a lot of movable pieces between all teams that make sense.

I absolutely hate trying to wrap my head around 3-way deals because the number of permutations can be so excessive, so do not take what's mentioned below as an actual proposal, just a list of players who would be of interest to each team.

Cards interested in:
Stanton/Yelich/Ozuna/Calhoun
Bedrosian/Angels SP
Gordon/Prado/Valbuena/Cron 

Marlins interested in:
Cards SP prospects
Calhoun/Piscotty/Grichuk (filler OF
Angels OF prospects
Angels SP depth

Angels interested in:
Any Marlins/Cardinals OF
Gordon/Wong
Gyorko/Carpenter/Dietrich
Marlins RP

It'd mostly be the Angels taking on redundant salary that fills needs to help the Cardinals facilitate bringing on Stanton, not the other way around. 
The Angels do not assume any heavy financial risk, just a lot of mid-level players with reasonable contracts, maybe getting one plus-value player like a Piscotty or Ozuna depending on the prospects they give up and salary they take on - this ties in with the upgrading RF rumor too. 

Basically, the Cards are very interested in Marlins OF (and OF in general) and already have a number of interesting OFs in house that could be flipped. 
Cards also have a number of OBP machines (it's obscene - Carpenter .384, Wong .376, Gyorko .341, Pham .411, Fowler .363, Piscotty .342, Martinez .379, Garcia .365) that could fit the Angels needs. There's a lot of middling salary between the teams that could be exchanged to help fit needs and facilitate a mega-contract (and the dead money that could come with it) and a ton of SP/OF prospect depth between STL/LAA that could go back to Miami.

You could probably draw up similar proposals with the Giants, who are also interested in Stanton. 
Angels could be interested in some of SFG's heftier contracts (Samardzija, Belt, Panik, Melancon) in addition to Miami's (Gordon, Prado) but the Giants don't have the desirable prospect depth to play with.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If the Angels are going to be willing to absorb salary, then they would just land Stanton for themselves.  Why take on fat contracts to facilitate someone else getting the premium player?

What would be bad about the Angels winding up with Matt Carpenter at first or Jedd Gyorko at third, Dee Gordon or Kolten Wong at second, and someone like Stephen Piscotty or Tommy Pham in RF, especially if all they gave up was Calhoun, an OF prospect or two, a spare part, and ate some salary like Prado or Dietrich to use as a bench bat/3B? A lot less overall financial commitment, fills all the teams' needs, upgrades OBP everywhere, enables the Marlins to shed money, the Cardinals to clear out some salary. Take advantage of both of those teams having to clear some decent IF salaries out.

To be honest, Ozuna and Yelich are arguably the real prizes and premium players in the deal, so the Angels could still wind up with Stanton (and I left that door open too) as both of the Marlins younger, cheaper OFs seem like they'd be the prototypical Cardinals bat anyways.

38 minutes ago, totdprods said:

What would be bad about the Angels winding up with Matt Carpenter at first or Jedd Gyorko at third, Dee Gordon or Kolten Wong at second, and someone like Stephen Piscotty or Tommy Pham in RF, especially if all they gave up was Calhoun, an OF prospect or two, a spare part, and ate some salary like Prado or Dietrich to use as a bench bat/3B? A lot less overall financial commitment, fills all the teams' needs, upgrades OBP everywhere, enables the Marlins to shed money, the Cardinals to clear out some salary. Take advantage of both of those teams having to clear some decent IF salaries out.

To be honest, Ozuna and Yelich are arguably the real prizes and premium players in the deal, so the Angels could still wind up with Stanton (and I left that door open too) as both of the Marlins younger, cheaper OFs seem like they'd be the prototypical Cardinals bat anyways.

I am not enamored by the idea of doing three-team trade gymnastics that include absorbing salary and giving up OF prospects to end up with the likes of Wong or Gyorko or Gordon.

If that is the acceptable level at 2B, just sign Walker.

Marlins’ asking price for Giancarlo Stanton is reportedly “out of touch with reality”

Buster Olney of ESPN reports today that “some rival execs view the Marlins’ prospect asking price for Giancarlo Stanton as shockingly high: and “somewhat out of touch with reality.”

So my take on that is initially they are asking for lots of prospects and taking on the full salary.  He also has an opt out after the 2020 season.  Which is 2 years after Harper's probable blockbuster deal, and would be the same year as Trout.  So whoever trades for him probably should look at this as a 3 year deal for $25, $26 and $26 million, which if looked at this way, makes the asking price a bit better.

3 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Marlins’ asking price for Giancarlo Stanton is reportedly “out of touch with reality”

So my take on that is initially they are asking for lots of prospects and taking on the full salary.  He also has an opt out after the 2020 season.  Which is 2 years after Harper's probable blockbuster deal, and would be the same year as Trout.  So whoever trades for him probably should look at this as a 3 year deal for $25, $26 and $26 million, which if looked at this way, makes the asking price a bit better.

But you don't know he will opt out.  If he snaps his leg like Kendrys Morales you are stuck with $295 million total.

There is big risk.

There isn't going to be a deal where a team takes the full financial obligation AND gives up high quality prospects.

A team will probably send some bodies but nothing that really hurts their farm system in losing.

The Marlins can dream all they want but it's not happening.

Now maybe Jeter offers to throw in a gift basket?  That could help bubble up a deal.  But remember this is a 13 year deal which is basically forever.  You deal with Jeter and what you get from him stays with you forever.