• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Wall

31 minutes ago, Geoff said:

So Jay & MAGA ... you're paying for the wall.  

Twice!!!!

Cool, whatever it takes to secure the border.

But please continue to speculate about the financial arrangements.

The AW libs have a dismal track record when it comes to predicting political outcomes.

In fact we should take your predictions and use them to compile a list of things we know won't happen.

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

The AW libs have a dismal track record when it comes to predicting political outcomes.

In fact we should take your predictions and use them to compile a list of things we know won't happen.

Congratulations, Geoff.

You're the newest AW Lib!!

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Here is how I see it and maybe I am seeing it wrong.  Most of the time the largest factor in the price of something is the labor involved in manufacturing it.  So, if Mexican minimum wage is $4 an hour and our minimum wage is over $10 an hour, even with a 20% tariff it will still be more affordable than the American version of the same product. 

try looking at it this way - 

is that product currently priced 20% lower than the American version of the same product? if not, the American version becomes more affordable. 

52 minutes ago, Lou said:

try looking at it this way - 

is that product currently priced 20% lower than the American version of the same product? if not, the American version becomes more affordable. 

Wonder what products we buy is really made in Mexico?  I mean besides the Mexican Coke (the soda not the drug) that is always a bit more expensive, and the shit box dodge I bought a decade ago. 

Same could be said for Canada.  I guess lumber from Canada though.  And Hockey. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What about the aw cons who think the wall is a terrible idea? What about everybody else besides you and MAGA that think the wall is a terrible idea? What do we do with their opinions?

1 hour ago, Glen said:

What about the aw cons who think the wall is a terrible idea? What about everybody else besides you and MAGA that think the wall is a terrible idea? What do we do with their opinions?

FTR I'm for the wall and extra security guarding it. Protecting our borders is one of the few tasks I want my federal government in charge of. 

On 1/25/2017 at 11:50 AM, mtangelsfan said:

If we stopped giving away free stuff it would go a long way.

I don't know if it is still being done, but at one time the Mexican government published a pamphlet giving their citizens the information that they needed to apply for public assistance once they reached the United States.

This isn't the only place where it happens. A British friend told me that the UK is now facing this problem due to the Channel Tunnel, which essentially gives them a land border with France. One refugee from Asia who hiked through the tunnel told BBC News when he reached England that he was "happy to be in the land of free money."

Trump's spokespeople act as if the proposed 20 percent border tax on Mexican goods amounts to Mexico paying for the wall. As astute as businessman as Trump claims to be, it apparently hasn't sunk in (or he is hoping that his supporters won't notice) that any tariff is ultimately paid by the people who buy the goods, not the people who ship them. It also tends to reduce sales of the items that are subject to the tariff, so their projections of the income that would be generated are overblown.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Not a prediction at all.  Just math.

But hey, maybe I am wrong!  Certainly wouldn't be the first time.  I'm basically employing the same logic that AW cons employ when discussing things like minimum wage hikes.  If you raise wages from $9 ph to $15 ph, there is going to be an impact somewhere.  Loss of jobs with automation.  Increased price of goods and services.  Maybe both.  (BTW ... I agree with that line of thinking.  There will in fact be an impact somewhere.)

So please ... explain to me where I'm wrong.  How does Trump add 20% to products coming across the boarder and have it result in zero impact to the consumer?  And how does that not equate to Americans paying for the wall twice? 

He said we're going to pay for it (front the costs) up front and MX will repay us.  Now he's saying the 20% tariff is the vehicle by which they'll pay us back.  Again, maybe I'm wrong here.  Please ... enlighten me.

11 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Wonder what products we buy is really made in Mexico?  I mean besides the Mexican Coke (the soda not the drug) that is always a bit more expensive, and the shit box dodge I bought a decade ago. 

Same could be said for Canada.  I guess lumber from Canada though.  And Hockey. 

Serapis and drug rugs are gonna go through the roof.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

But hey, maybe I am wrong!  Certainly wouldn't be the first time.  I'm basically employing the same logic that AW cons employ when discussing things like minimum wage hikes.  If you raise wages from $9 ph to $15 ph, there is going to be an impact somewhere.  Loss of jobs with automation.  Increased price of goods and services.  Maybe both.  (BTW ... I agree with that line of thinking.  There will in fact be an impact somewhere.)

So please ... explain to me where I'm wrong.  How does Trump add 20% to products coming across the boarder and have it result in zero impact to the consumer?  And how does that not equate to Americans paying for the wall twice? 

He said we're going to pay for it (front the costs) up front and MX will repay us.  Now he's saying the 20% tariff is the vehicle by which they'll pay us back.  Again, maybe I'm wrong here.  Please ... enlighten me.

"Yeah.....but did you see the size of that inauguration crowd?"

-American's focus on the important stuff

8 hours ago, Geoff said:

what some of you are missing is that is exactly what Trump wants to occur if companies do their manufacturing outside of the US. He wants them to raise their prices so companies who are conducting their business, including manufacturing, here in the states take away a part of their market share. Giving these companies tax breaks will reduce their costs even more. Trump wants it so "foreign" businesses can't survive economically if they don't come back to the country that will be great again! 

3 hours ago, Lou said:

what some of you are missing is that is exactly what Trump wants to occur if companies do their manufacturing outside of the US. He wants them to raise their prices so companies who are conducting their business, including manufacturing, here in the states take away a part of their market share. Giving these companies tax breaks will reduce their costs even more. Trump wants it so "foreign" businesses can't survive economically if they don't come back to the country that will be great again! 

Yeah, I get that part. But why tie payment of his wall to that?  Why make citizens pay for it twice?

Other than just being, you know... a douche. 

24 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Employ Americans to make products here instead of exploiting labor elsewhere. Basically balancing the trade imbalance. Not sure if I disagree with what he is doing although it does start a tarrif war so our exports will simply be unaffordable. It could backfire terribly. 

we are the world's consumer. no country is going to risk cutting us off