• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Wall

6 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

My guess is that Mexico will "pay" for the wall by the U.S. cutting the amount of money we send to them yearly.  It is not like we will see a check or a bag of pesos coming our way.

So, Mexico isn't paying for the wall. 

Stupid idea to begin with. Might as well light the money on fire. US Taxpayers are going to be stuck spending 15-20 billion (and who knows how much that will balloon) to build a wall that accomplishes what exactly?

It's really quite interesting as the Mexican president has a very low approval rating while voters there think he'll get strong armed by Trump making for what should be an entertaining back and forth.  I'm guessing him canceling the meeting just upped his approval rating.  Mexico is scared because their biggest source of foreign income is remittances from citizens abroad and on a per person basis they receive more than any other country in the world while most of that comes from the US.  Frankly I think the whole relationship has been more of a give/take than it should be.   

15 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

My guess is that Mexico will "pay" for the wall by the U.S. cutting the amount of money we send to them yearly.  It is not like we will see a check or a bag of pesos coming our way.

We are also leaving NAFTA along with all other free trade agreements.  We will get the money from tariffs of Mexican goods.  It's Trump talk for Mexico will pay for the wall.

2 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

We are also leaving NAFTA along with all other free trade agreements.  We will get the money from tariffs of Mexican goods.  It's Trump talk for Mexico will pay for the wall.

Yet one more thing that could have been done without spending $15 billion. We're still paying for the wall no matter how you try to spin it

8 minutes ago, red321 said:

So, Mexico isn't paying for the wall. 

Stupid idea to begin with. Might as well light the money on fire. US Taxpayers are going to be stuck spending 15-20 billion (and who knows how much that will balloon) to build a wall that accomplishes what exactly?

Potato Potatoh.  If the US cuts what they send to fund the wall or additional border security it's a net 0 impact to the current budget.  I'm as fiscally conservative as they get but let's be honest here - 15-20 billion is a drop in the bucket compared to the waste that's been going on for decades, see pork barrel spending and pet projects added to anything done in Washington.  It's also a drop in the bucket compared to the costs associated with illegal immigration.  Both sides are wasteful which obviously doesn't make it right but we just saw the national debt increase by almost 8 trillion under the previous administration.  15-20B isn't the straw that breaks the camels back.  Personally I'd like to see a balanced budget but that will never happen until it's too late.

1 minute ago, arch stanton said:

But it will be effective. He can take credit for the decrease in illegal immigration that's already happening just like he took credit for the auto industry jobs that were already happening

He'll take credit for a decrease, whether it happens or not, he talks to the best people and Bob down in Arizona personally tracks how many people and he's already seen less people just because of Trump, even more than Peyton Manning

11 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

But it will be effective. He can take credit for the decrease in illegal immigration that's already happening just like he took credit for the auto industry jobs that were already happening

How much of the decrease in illegal immigration in recent years is due to the economic downturn and not because the feds are doing a better job securing the border and enforcing the laws?  When the housing bubble popped remittances to Mexico decreased and illegal immigration declined.  When the economy is stronger unless something is done to deter illegal immigration I'd think the trend of decreasing illegal immigration would reverse.   

1 minute ago, HaloNArizona said:

$15+ Billion dollars could go a long way in helping our education system or reducing the national debt or about any thing else....This wall is the dumbest F*****g idea I have heard.  Not to mention, there are tribal lands along the US/Mexico border that have already stated the wall will not be allowed on there land.

Helping our education system how?  In recent years the US has been one of the top 5 spenders per pupil on education.  Money isn't the issue.  The wall is stupid as is the thought that we can continue to throw money at problems.  

I just want to clarify that I'm not necessarily against a wall or any other border security measures and I'm not against any changes to NAFTA or to aid going to Mexico. I'm against correlating the events for the purpose of calling it payment for the wall because any of these actions could take place without spending $15 billion so what we say is a net 0 could be a net +$15 billion if we weren't buying a white elephant wall.

2 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Helping our education system how?  In recent years the US has been one of the top 5 spenders per pupil on education.  Money isn't the issue.  The wall is stupid as is the thought that we can continue to throw money at problems.  

Come visit Arizona and you will understand.  We have a governor who ran on the platform to cut education and did, who for this years budget, submitted a budget that could cost us an additionall $ 5 billion in funding cut off by the feds.  Starting salary for a teacher in Arizona is less than $30K a year, thus causing a shorting of qualified teachers in the state.  Most teachers have to purchase their own supplies.  Lots of problems.  Oh yea, Donald appointment for the head of education is a bigger joke than the wall.

Understand what?  That's on Arizona not on the feds.  If any state is depending on federal funding that could be cut then they need to get their own financial house in order.  CA has a 1.5B budget shortfall that the governor "missed" and I don't expect anyone to come save the day and make up the shortfall.  They'll have to raise taxes, cut from the current budget or have bond sales to make up the difference.  They're already butting heads with the new administration so CA better make sure they aren't depending too much on federal funding if the feds are able to pull it.