• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Keep in mind that only about one year ago, Thaiss was still playing college ball, and he's already in AA, holding his own.

He's played virtually one full season now in pro ball, 163 games, and he's slashing .277/.356/.417/.773 with 180 hits, 92 runs, 33 doubles, 14 homers, 8 triples, 95 RBIs, and 70 walks to 108 strikeouts. All while playing a new position.

He may not be the most exciting prospect but his ability to climb the system quickly while exhibiting good patience, contact, and power potential and be almost MLB-ready already offsets that need for prospect sexiness.

Not only that, but there's more left in the tank for Thaiss.  He only became serious about strength training and nutrition just this year, and he's 22. He already looks a lot different than he did a year ago.  Thaiss has a beautiful swing and the authority in which he smokes balls into the gaps is reminiscent of Hermosillo, which is reminiscent of Trout back when he was 18.  Once Thaiss grows into his man body, typically around 24 or 25, a lot of those doubles will start turning into HR's. 

I wouldn't trade Thaiss.  Our 1B haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire and worst case scenario, with Thaiss you've got someone that's inexpensive, will get on base and play solid defense.  Again, better than anything we have right now.  Best case scenario, he ends up hitting .300/.400 with 40 DB 25 HR.  

I like the likely outcome here is a kid that hits .270/.350 35 DB 15 HR and solid defense at 1B.

I complain about BA, FG and BP plenty, and rightfully so because they're glaringly terrible or negligent.  But I gotta say, MLB takes the cake for the worst. 

They ignore Trent Derveaux, D'Shawn Knowles (both understandable for a fan site, not for a professional group being paid to do this), Ryan Vega, Jonah Todd, Jonah Wesely, Jerryell Rivera, Brendon Sanger, Jose Rojas, Zach Houchins, Johan Sala......you know....the guys you start ranking if you actually pay attention.  

And instead we're served a hefty diet of retreads in Jared Foster, Julio Garcia, Vicente Campos and Connor Justus.

Not only does their ranking reek of a lack of effort, so does their scouting.  A 50 grade for Adell, 50 power for Marsh, 45 curve and change for Castillo, 45 slider for Jewell, 50 curve for Gatto......

Are they even watching?

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I complain about BA, FG and BP plenty, and rightfully so because they're glaringly terrible or negligent.  But I gotta say, MLB takes the cake for the worst. 

They ignore Trent Derveaux, D'Shawn Knowles (both understandable for a fan site, not for a professional group being paid to do this), Ryan Vega, Jonah Todd, Jonah Wesely, Jerryell Rivera, Brendon Sanger, Jose Rojas, Zach Houchins, Johan Sala......you know....the guys you start ranking if you actually pay attention.  

And instead we're served a hefty diet of retreads in Jared Foster, Julio Garcia, Vicente Campos and Connor Justus.

Not only does their ranking reek of a lack of effort, so does their scouting.  A 50 grade for Adell, 50 power for Marsh, 45 curve and change for Castillo, 45 slider for Jewell, 50 curve for Gatto......

Are they even watching?

nailed it.  My biggest complaint about most of these lists is that they're generic.  MLB trumps that with being generic and lazy. They literally just made up a bunch of crap.   

here are their grades for Barria:  Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 50 | Changeup: 55 | Control: 60 | Overall: 45

wait.  what?

That  gives me the brain pain coach Klein.    

7 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Are they even watching?

I think this is largely BS. Yes, they miss on the occasional Calhoun but in this site everyone is going to be a star or average starter. Yeah, they haven't rated the Angels system well, but frankly it's been total shit since Trout graduated and they traded Segura. It's been what, 6 years and Calhoun is the best player produced since then. Not only that but Cam Bedrosian is probably second. Maybe, it's Cron but even you just remarked how bad our 1B situation is.

Yeah, we currently have a lot of guys at really low levels who have high ceilings. You know who else does? Every other team. You know who has scrappy late developers in the higher levels who are putting up decent numbers like Hermosillo? Everyone else. 80% of both these categories wash out. The national publications are going to be lower on them and will miss on them when they make it. Angels specific sights will be higher on them and miss on them when they bust. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

How the hell do they rate Barria a 45 overall, when his individuals  are 50 to 60?

Cause Velocity? Little known fact: no batter ever got out until Rube Wadell hit 110 MPH with his fastball in 1905. Before that, teams just batted around until they got tired. #BadHistory

Monday, July 24th, 2017:
Salt Lake (54-48) lost 4 to 8 to Albuquerque (52-50)
David Fletcher: 2-5, 2 R
Jefry Marte: 2-5, 2 2B, 3 RBI - hitting .400 with 14 RBI last 10 games; overall, .278/.340/.500 with 8 2B, 8 HR and 33 RBI in 35 games
Carlos Perez: 2-5, 2 2B, R - hitting .425 last 10 games; overall, .390/.463/.552/1.015 in 46 games, 172 ABs - 25 BB to 26 K
Luis Diaz: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 3 K - started year untouchable in AA, got hit around in AAA, is starting to get back on track 
Andrew Bailey: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, HR
Eduardo Paredes: 1.1 IP, K

Inland Empire (47-54) lost 1 to 3 to Lake Elsinore (48-53)
Jahmai Jones: 2-5, K - through five games, slashing .450/.542/.500/1.042, 4 walks to 4 strikeouts
Brennon Lund: 2-3, BB - still hitting! .429 last 10 games, .340 in 162 at-bats with Inland Empire. Could see him going to Mobile if/when Herm moves up to SLC
Jack Kruger: 2-4, K
Jared Walsh: 2-3, 2B
Luis Pena: 6 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, HR
Sam Holland: 2 IP, BB, 4 K - 46 IP, 2.74 ERA, .233 BAA, 1.24 WHIP, 17 BB to  48 K

Burlington (44-56) lost 1 to 3 to Dayton (53-48)
Jonah Todd: 1-4, R
Turning a corner?
Joe Gatto: 5 IP, 2 H, ER, 2 BB, 6 K - last four GS: 20 IP, 1.80 ERA, 15 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 18 K
Control has still been an issue, but he's now sporting a 3.65 ERA, .254 BAA, and 1.46 WHIP in 20 games started - only two HRs allowed in 91.1 IP

Orem (24-10) lost 3 to 6 to Billings (17-17)
Leonardo Rivas: 1-5, R
Spencer Griffin: 1-4, HR (1), BB, 3 K
Ryan Vega: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI, BB, K
Jeyson Sanchez: 1-3, 2B, BB, 2 K
Torii Hunter: 3-4, R, SB (3)
James Ziemba: 1 IP, BB, 2 K - 6'10" lefty, 13.1 IP, 5 ER, 7 BB to 12 K

DSL Angels (19-23) lost 0 to 4 to DSL Twins (31-12) - make-up of 7/24 postponement 
Julio De La Cruz (SS): 0-2, 2 BB, 2 K, SB (6)- slashing .229/.350/.373 - 6 2B, 4 3B, 1 HR, 19 BB in 118 ABs -  he's only 16 years old though!
Rafael Fortunato: 3 IP, 3 H, BB, 5 K - 9 GS, 35.2 IP, 2.02 ERA, .209 BAA, 1.01 WHIP, 9 BB to 28 K - 19 years old

DSL Angels (19-23) lost 4 to 7 to DSL Twins (31-12)
Oliver Carmona: 1-2, 2 R, BB, K
Cristian Gomez: 1-3, HR (4)
Julio De La Cruz: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

I think this is largely BS. Yes, they miss on the occasional Calhoun but in this site everyone is going to be a star or average starter. Yeah, they haven't rated the Angels system well, but frankly it's been total shit since Trout graduated and they traded Segura. It's been what, 6 years and Calhoun is the best player produced since then. Not only that but Cam Bedrosian is probably second. Maybe, it's Cron but even you just remarked how bad our 1B situation is.

Yeah, we currently have a lot of guys at really low levels who have high ceilings. You know who else does? Every other team. You know who has scrappy late developers in the higher levels who are putting up decent numbers like Hermosillo? Everyone else. 80% of both these categories wash out. The national publications are going to be lower on them and will miss on them when they make it. Angels specific sights will be higher on them and miss on them when they bust. 

Hermosillo isn't exactly a late bloomer. He's 22 years old in Double-A, 2 years younger than the league average.

3 hours ago, zenmaster said:

So we still don't have a player in the top 100 on MLB.com? :(

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/244152682/yoan-moncada-tops-2017-midseason-prospect-list/

I don't care much for these lists in general and rarely do I have a reaction to them -- but that's one really bad list IMO.   Very erratic, extremely subjective and pretty much devoid of any center.   Normally, you can look at a list and kinda get what they are putting weight into but they are really all over the place with this one.   There are seriously 20 or more guys that seemingly are making that list for no other reason other than Jonathan Mayo seems to like them.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

There are seriously 20 or more guys that seemingly are making that list for no other reason other than Jonathan Mayo seems to like them.

Mayo's best work was in the Hills Have Eyes.

horror scream rip horror movies wes craven GIF

3 hours ago, vladdy#27 said:

Hermosillo isn't exactly a late bloomer. He's 22 years old in Double-A, 2 years younger than the league average.

Hermosillo is very much a "slow" bloomer if not a late bloomer, yes he's 22 but he's also in his 5th year of pro ball.  That's not a criticism on my part.... I believe he's doing fine, he fits the normal development pace for his type but what Eaterfan is saying is that you can find an Hermosillo in most organizations  -- He's right.

I too believe the Anti-Angels bias is being overplayed, while at the same time understanding why people feel that way..   Still IMO, the Angels earned their rankings and the associated reputation.... there was just a lot to dislike about the system for a long, long time..    But again -- where they have been criminally underrated is in their ability to actually graduate the few prospects they HAVE had..   At the end of the day, none of us should really give a shit where we rank, if we can get back to producing a quality player every year or other year this franchise will be back where it used to be.   The team is trending in the right direction.

4 hours ago, zenmaster said:

So we still don't have a player in the top 100 on MLB.com? :(

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/244152682/yoan-moncada-tops-2017-midseason-prospect-list/

They aren't far off. Would put both in the 101-120 range. Both have long way to go; time for them to work way on #Top100Prospects list

Jonathan Mayo added,

Baseball Fan @kodywody7
@JonathanMayo why was jo adell and jahmai jones left off the top 100 list ?

Mayo isn't a scout, he's a reporter. When you hear him speak, he gives you no insight as to why this player is good or bad, how he might improve or what we can expect and why. I learned more in two summers of scouting than that tool has so far in his life.

All he does is take what other people think of a player from the one time they saw him, and then put his own subjective spin on it. 

That's not scouting. It's a glorified fan-boys list of favorites.

Jeren Kendall, Shane Baz, Keston Hiura, JB Bukaskas, Alex Faedo, Pavin Smith, Adam Haseley, Kyle Wright, Royce Lewis, Mackenzie Gore, Brendan McKay and Hunter Green all find themselves in the top 100, several of those either went after Adell, or should have gone after Adell if present rosters didn't dictate the move.

As I've repeated, baseball prospect guys are still a few years behind in their logic. "Jordon Adell was drafted by the Angels, the Angels farm isn't good because someone told me a while back it wasn't good, therefore Jordon Adell isn't good."

I'd take both Adell and Jahmai Jones over Blake Rutherford. They're both faster, stronger, younger, better hitters and better defenders than Blake, but because Rutherford was drafted by the Yankees, we must assume he's very good and the other two aren't, otherwise the Yankees would've drafted them...

One quibble, @Scotty@AW. I'm very intrigued by Deveaux but at this point he's a non-rankable prospect--he hasn't even played stateside yet. I think once he plays Rookie ball he'll (possibly) garner some attention.

Speaking of which, where is he right now and when and where will we see him first play? Will he be at AZL next year and why not now?

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

One quibble, @Scotty@AW. I'm very intrigued by Deveaux but at this point he's a non-rankable prospect--he hasn't even played stateside yet. I think once he plays Rookie ball he'll (possibly) garner some attention.

Speaking of which, where is he right now and when and where will we see him first play? Will he be at AZL next year and why not now?

MLB.com had Julio Garcia "scouted" before he ever played a game, but somehow they can't do it for Deveaux and Knowles? 

Deveaux is easily rankable, at least from a preliminary standpoint. MLBPA and owners tried to structure international signings to mirror draft bonuses. It isn't perfect, but it's a starting point. Deveaux's bonus would put him square in the second round of the draft.

So you can slot him between Canning and Pearson, our second and third round picks. Pearson is supposed to be the better hitter, but lacks defensive skills.Deveaux is supposed to be the better all around player with more upside. 

It puts Deveaux right around 10.

As for where Deveaux is, the Angels told him he'll be going straight to their ST complex in Arizona and that he'll play there, probably at the instructs I'm guessing. It doesn't sound like he'll spend any time in the DSL.

12 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

In 12 games so far Adell is killing it no?

3 homers, .341 Avg, .636 SLG and a 1.019 OPS

Or does everyone and their dog hit in this league?

The ball carries in Arizona but oddly enough it doesn't necessarily play hitter friendly in rookie ball. For many of these kids, it's their first time playing against "good" competition and they are overwhelmed. That's why it's so heavily scouted and structured, because teams want to know what they have while at the same time allowing players to develop and giving them a chance to succeed.

So the fact that Adell is hitting with power tells us that the biggest concern regarding Adell before the draft (how he would perform against good competition) has since been silenced. 

The Arizona Fall League on the other hand can play toward hitters in a major way. They're established, and that dry air offers very little resistance gains a ball driven properly, in the same way the D-Backs play in pretty hitter friendly confines.