• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

If they were to theoretically deal away a good SP and get a good OF prospect back in a package, something like a JC Ramirez and RP for a top prospect like Bauers and Alvarado could make some sense. It'd depend dramatically on how the Angels view Ramirez going forward and if they see Bauers as a legit talent. 

I agree with Alvarado being an Eppler guy, but do you think that Ramirez and a bullpen arm would be enough for Bauers? It seems a tad light on our side. 

Thursday, July 20th, 2017:
Salt Lake 
(52-46) lost 3 to 7 to Reno (57-41)
David Fletcher: 0-4
Kaleb Cowart: 0-3
Jefry Marte: 1-4
Cesar Puello: 1-4, 2B, RBI
Adam Hofacket: 1 IP, 2 H, K

Mobile (42-53) lost 1 to 4 to Chattanooga (63-34)
Troy Montgomery: 0-3, BB, R
Michael Hermosillo: 3-4, 2B
Matt Thaiss: 0-4
Taylor Ward (AA Debut, DH): 1-2, 2 BB
Jose Rojas (playing 2B): 1-4, 2B
Jake Jewell: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, HR
Greg Mahle: 1.1 IP, 2 K (since demotion to Mobile, 19.2 IP, 2.75 ERA, .200 BAA, 1.02 WHIP, 6 BB to 18K
Connor Lillis-White: 2 IP, 3 K - two perfect innings. In 50 innings this year (across A/AA) his BAA is .155, ERA is 3.06, and WHIP is 0.98. Lefty!
Someone to watch...
Tyler Warmoth: 1 IP, 1 K - has had a mixed year at Mobile, but he's 25 and has been solid overall in the minors. Played one game at SLC. Could play into the MLB relief depth chart quickly if he puts it together. His 2017 (across A+ thru AAA) 42 IP, 3.00 ERA, .245 BAA, 1.26 WHIP, 14 BB to 41 K

Inland Empire (46-51) lost 3 to 9 to Visalia (49-48)
Jahmai Jones (A+ debut, leading off, playing CF, wearing #19): 1-4, BB, 2 K
Brennon Lund: 1-5, 2 K
Jordan Zimmerman: 2-4, 2B (since joining IE five games ago, slashing a cool .417/.462/.750/1.212)
Jonah Wesely: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 K

Burlington (43-53) lost 1 to 4 Bowling Green (47-47)
Derek Jenkins: 2-4, RBI, K
Jonah Todd: 1-4, K
Richard Fecteau: 1-3
Jenkins may be someone to watch now that Jones has been promoted. He'll get more opportunity. Little guy, listed 5'8", 155, but could work into a speedy 4th OF type. 
He's a likely choice to cover CF and lead-off, slashing .336/.394/.368/.762, 12 BB to 21 K, 12 SB in 36 G

DSL Angels (19-21) won 8 to 2 over DSL Phillies Red (16-24)
Cristian Gomez RF: 2-3, 3 R, 2B, 3B
Willian Mendoza DH: 2-3 2 RBI
Edwin Bisay C: 2-4, 2 RBI
Robinson Pina: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 K - 18 years old, 6'4", 180, one of the Angels more intriguing DSL arms

Orem (18-7) won 8 to 6 in 13 innings over Great Falls (10-15)
I believe this was a suspended game that resumed.

Orem (22-8) won 2 to 1 over Great Falls (10-20)
Leonardo Rivas: 0-3, BB
Ryan Vega: 1-3, BB, slashing .342/.434/.436/.870 over 117 ABs, and a solid 15 BB to 23 K. Still only 20 years old. 
Manuel Guzman: 3-4, 2 R
Torii Hunter: 1-3, slashing .307/.366/.387/.753 over 75 ABs. Old for the league but still very new to the sport, and holding it down. 5 BB to 14 K.
Matt McCann: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI

AZL Angels (12-9) lost 3 to 4 to AZL Mariners (13-8)
Jacob Pearson: 1-4, BB, 3 K
Jordon Adell: 1-5
Nonie Williams: 0-5, K
Jimmy Barnes: 1-2, 2 BB, K, HR (3), RBI, R
Julio Garcia: 3-4, HR (1), RBI, R
Andrew Heaney: 4 IP, 3 H, 5 K
Someone to watch...
Wilkel Hernandez: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K - only 18 years old, 6'3", 160 - in Arizona this year, 19.1 IP, only 9 hits, 8 BBs, 12 K - .145 BAA, 0.88 WHIP, 1.40 ERA

16 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I agree with Alvarado being an Eppler guy, but do you think that Ramirez and a bullpen arm would be enough for Bauers? It seems a tad light on our side. 

Yeah, it's probably too light. I'm thinking more of it being feasible if they were to deal Cobb (possible), Odorizzi (not as likely), Archer (quite a stretch) and got some legit OF prospects in return. Three-way trade could always be in the cards too.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah, it's probably too light. I'm thinking more of it being feasible if they were to deal Cobb (possible), Odorizzi (not as likely), Archer (quite a stretch) and got some legit OF prospects in return. Three-way trade could always be in the cards too.

Ha! I completely misread your post. I agree- If Jake became just another OF prospect, then he'd be easier to shake loose. 

Having said that: Bedrosian WOULD be enough for both (plus some). I am just not sure the Angels are ready to go there. 

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Torii Hunter: 1-3, slashing .307/.366/.387/.753 over 75 ABs. Old for the league but still very new to the sport, and holding it down. 5 BB to 14 K.

I know it's just Orem, and I know he's old, but damn-- that's pretty impressive for a dude that should be as raw as raw gets. I wasn't expecting much out of him, but I am now thinking that being a 4th OF in the Majors isn't a crazy outcome. 

Just now, ScruffytheJanitor said:

I know it's just Orem, and I know he's old, but damn-- that's pretty impressive for a dude that should be as raw as raw gets. I wasn't expecting much out of him, but I am now thinking that being a 4th OF in the Majors isn't a crazy outcome. 

Yeah, he's showing a nice blend of patience, average, power, speed, discipline. Statistically speaking, he looks like he's comfortable and not overwhelmed in any way. It'll be interesting to see how they move him along.

Jimmy Barnes, along with Ryan Vega and Hunter Jr. are guys you'll want to keep an eye on. They have the tool set to be star players at the top level, if they can put it together.  

Barnes in particular is a largely forgotten about man because he missed all of last year but was our 11th round selection in 2015. 

The 11th round is always significant because of the allotted budget in rounds 1-10, a lot of times guys taken in the 11th round can compare favorably to that of a 4th or 5th round pick.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Thursday, July 20th, 2017:
Salt Lake 
(52-46) lost 3 to 7 to Reno (57-41)
David Fletcher: 0-4
Kaleb Cowart: 0-3
Jefry Marte: 1-4
Cesar Puello: 1-4, 2B, RBI
Adam Hofacket: 1 IP, 2 H, K

Mobile (42-53) lost 1 to 4 to Chattanooga (63-34)
Troy Montgomery: 0-3, BB, R
Michael Hermosillo: 3-4, 2B
Matt Thaiss: 0-4
Taylor Ward (AA Debut, DH): 1-2, 2 BB
Jose Rojas (playing 2B): 1-4, 2B
Jake Jewell: 4.2 IP, 3 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, HR
Greg Mahle: 1.1 IP, 2 K (since demotion to Mobile, 19.2 IP, 2.75 ERA, .200 BAA, 1.02 WHIP, 6 BB to 18K
Connor Lillis-White: 2 IP, 3 K - two perfect innings. In 50 innings this year (across A/AA) his BAA is .155, ERA is 3.06, and WHIP is 0.98. Lefty!
Someone to watch...
Tyler Warmoth: 1 IP, 1 K - has had a mixed year at Mobile, but he's 25 and has been solid overall in the minors. Played one game at SLC. Could play into the MLB relief depth chart quickly if he puts it together. His 2017 (across A+ thru AAA) 42 IP, 3.00 ERA, .245 BAA, 1.26 WHIP, 14 BB to 41 K

Inland Empire (46-51) lost 3 to 9 to Visalia (49-48)
Jahmai Jones (A+ debut, leading off, playing CF, wearing #19): 1-4, BB, 2 K
Brennon Lund: 1-5, 2 K
Jordan Zimmerman: 2-4, 2B (since joining IE five games ago, slashing a cool .417/.462/.750/1.212)
Jonah Wesely: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 K

Burlington (43-53) lost 1 to 4 Bowling Green (47-47)
Derek Jenkins: 2-4, RBI, K
Jonah Todd: 1-4, K
Richard Fecteau: 1-3
Jenkins may be someone to watch now that Jones has been promoted. He'll get more opportunity. Little guy, listed 5'8", 155, but could work into a speedy 4th OF type. 
He's a likely choice to cover CF and lead-off, slashing .336/.394/.368/.762, 12 BB to 21 K, 12 SB in 36 G

DSL Angels (19-21) won 8 to 2 over DSL Phillies Red (16-24)
Cristian Gomez RF: 2-3, 3 R, 2B, 3B
Willian Mendoza DH: 2-3 2 RBI
Edwin Bisay C: 2-4, 2 RBI
Robinson Pina: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 K - 18 years old, 6'4", 180, one of the Angels more intriguing DSL arms

Orem (18-7) won 8 to 6 in 13 innings over Great Falls (10-15)
I believe this was a suspended game that resumed.

Orem (22-8) won 2 to 1 over Great Falls (10-20)
Leonardo Rivas: 0-3, BB
Ryan Vega: 1-3, BB, slashing .342/.434/.436/.870 over 117 ABs, and a solid 15 BB to 23 K. Still only 20 years old. 
Manuel Guzman: 3-4, 2 R
Matt McCann: 1-3, 2B, 2 RBI

AZL Angels (12-9) lost 3 to 4 to AZL Mariners (13-8)
Jacob Pearson: 1-4, BB, 3 K
Jordon Adell: 1-5
Nonie Williams: 0-5, K
Jimmy Barnes: 1-2, 2 BB, K, HR (3), RBI, R
Julio Garcia: 3-4, HR (1), RBI, R
Andrew Heaney: 4 IP, 3 H, 5 K
Someone to watch...
Wilkel Hernandez: 4 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K - only 18 years old, 6'3", 160 - in Arizona this year, 19.1 IP, only 9 hits, 8 BBs, 12 K - .145 BAA, 0.88 WHIP, 1.40 ERA

@totdprods, thank you for doing these!! 

54 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Jimmy Barnes, along with Ryan Vega and Hunter Jr. are guys you'll want to keep an eye on. They have the tool set to be star players at the top level, if they can put it together.  

Barnes in particular is a largely forgotten about man because he missed all of last year but was our 11th round selection in 2015. 

The 11th round is always significant because of the allotted budget in rounds 1-10, a lot of times guys taken in the 11th round can compare favorably to that of a 4th or 5th round pick.

Yeah Barnes has had my eye for awhile. 6'4" so he has the frame to grow into a decent power guy. Discipline has been a little rough but he's still young and did miss a year. He's definitely a sleeper in that 'toolsy, upside, young guy OF' with Adell, Pearson, Marsh, Jones, Vega, Deveaux, Sala. 

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't mind the list, but I would definitely swap out Nate Smith for Hermosillo. Smith hasn't been able to stay healthy. 

Same crap as always. The list is fine, except Herm not being there. In the article they mention the major league teams inequities while failing to mention any of the positives. They go on to mention the lower levels have "improved", which is funny because apparently Jones, Adell, Marsh, Canning only classify as improvement, but also specifically mentions that there's nothing at the upper levels, which I find odd because apparently Barria, Long, Hermosillo, Fletcher etc do not need consideration.

I guess it's just the tone. The Angels farm system is in the best place it's been in years, lots of optimism, definitely on the upswing, yet I read this as doom and gloom.

Jones with some love from BA's Prospect Hotlist this week, coming in at #2. 

2. Jahmai Jones, OF, Angels (19)
Low Class A Burlington (Midwest)

Burlington-Bees.jpeg
The Angels’ farm system is showing long-awaited signs of improvement. Jordon Adell gives the team a true top prospect and Jones has managed to put an awful April behind him. Now Jones is showing the power-speed combo that made him the toolsiest player in the Angels organization until Adell showed up, and he was promoted to high Class A Inland Empire on Thursday.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-july-21/#j9mjOV8cyrzomhO2.99

45 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Same crap as always. The list is fine, except Herm not being there. In the article they mention the major league teams inequities while failing to mention any of the positives. They go on to mention the lower levels have "improved", which is funny because apparently Jones, Adell, Marsh, Canning only classify as improvement, but also specifically mentions that there's nothing at the upper levels, which I find odd because apparently Barria, Long, Hermosillo, Fletcher etc do not need consideration.

I guess it's just the tone. The Angels farm system is in the best place it's been in years, lots of optimism, definitely on the upswing, yet I read this as doom and gloom.

I'm not getting the doom and gloom feel at all -- I think it's an accurate depiction of the state of the farm in recent years.  I agree with them saying the team is better off keeping the few tradeable assets they have above AA.  I don't even have a problem with Hermosillo failing to make the list... while athletic, he's not the sort of physical specimen BBA fawns over -- he's 5'11'' and pretty filled out so they likely view him as maxed out physically as he's likely to get.   He's also running a career minor league triple slash line of .268/.373/.372 -- so he's not come close to putting up Calhoun type numbers that scream "sleeper alert" and while he's been younger than the league's he's been in, he's not been so far ahead of his age group he would be considered raw for the level of competition.

Hermosillo is better than they are giving him credit for, but he's precisely the sort of player you'd expect BBA to gloss over.  Those of us that watch the Angels system on a daily basis know his story and have seen the improvements he's made in season.  BBA looks for certain things -- imposing physical tools, gawdy offensive performances, extremely young age .vs league -- everyone else is just a guy in their eyes.  This isn't a bias against the Angels, I'm fairly certain they would view him in much the same manner if he were in the NYY or Boston systems, he's just not someone who makes a BBA list..

I've long said rankings lists mean shit -- this list means shit..   Look at the bright side...   The Angels system has reached the point where a guy like Hermosillo, and someone like Nonie Williams who they would typically fawn all over both failed to make the list.   That's a bigger sign of where the Angels are than anything else IMO.

29 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jones with some love from BA's Prospect Hotlist this week, coming in at #2. 

2. Jahmai Jones, OF, Angels (19)
Low Class A Burlington (Midwest)

Burlington-Bees.jpeg
The Angels’ farm system is showing long-awaited signs of improvement. Jordon Adell gives the team a true top prospect and Jones has managed to put an awful April behind him. Now Jones is showing the power-speed combo that made him the toolsiest player in the Angels organization until Adell showed up, and he was promoted to high Class A Inland Empire on Thursday.

Read more at http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/prospect-hot-sheet-july-21/#j9mjOV8cyrzomhO2.99

Seems they are quite aware things have changed and the system is on the upswing

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not getting the doom and gloom feel at all -- I think it's an accurate depiction of the state of the farm in recent years.  I agree with them saying the team is better off keeping the few tradeable assets they have above AA.  I don't even have a problem with Hermosillo failing to make the list... while athletic, he's not the sort of physical specimen BBA fawns over -- he's 5'11'' and pretty filled out so they likely view him as maxed out physically as he's likely to get.   He's also running a career minor league triple slash line of .268/.373/.372 -- so he's not come close to putting up Calhoun type numbers that scream "sleeper alert" and while he's been younger than the league's he's been in, he's not been so far ahead of his age group he would be considered raw for the level of competition.

Hermosillo is better than they are giving him credit for, but he's precisely the sort of player you'd expect BBA to gloss over.  Those of us that watch the Angels system on a daily basis know his story and have seen the improvements he's made in season.  BBA looks for certain things -- imposing physical tools, gawdy offensive performances, extremely young age .vs league -- everyone else is just a guy in their eyes.  This isn't a bias against the Angels, I'm fairly certain they would view him in much the same manner if he were in the NYY or Boston systems, he's just not someone who makes a BBA list..

I've long said rankings lists mean shit -- this list means shit..   Look at the bright side...   The Angels system has reached the point where a guy like Hermosillo, and someone like Nonie Williams who they would typically fawn all over both failed to make the list.   That's a bigger sign of where the Angels are than anything else IMO.

Herm's swing will allow for so much more than we are seeing right now. He doesn't compare to Calhoun mostly because Kole's limited tools were immediately transferable to game time production. Hermosillo has more upside than I think we are giving him credit for. That pull power alone would result in 10 HR's a year, but he has so much pop in his bat to straight away CF and the oppo gap. It's line drive over the outfielder's head type of power, very similar to what I saw from Trout when he was 19. As Michael continues to mature and get stronger, that dead center and oppo power will turn to HR's. 

I think he'll hit 15-20 HR's, swipe 20 bags a year and get on base 35% of the time with very good defense.

I think Hermosillo will compare to Adam Eaton. I know that's not upside, abdvit isn't star caliber, but I think Hermosillo will eventually be on par or better than Calhoun.

48 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

damn.  gotta get marsh back on the field.  good to see he's on his way back.  

Putting Jimmy Barnes on my watch list.  Was he injured last year?

Jimmy is a physical specimen, very strong and very fast. Not as fast and strong as Jones or Adell, I'd put him on par with Nonie or even Marsh if I'm being optimistic. He was wiry when we drafted him but he looks a bit thicker now.

He was always on my radar but never in my top 30 simply because I've been waiting for him to start producing. He's there now I think.

33 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Herm's swing will allow for so much more than we are seeing right now. He doesn't compare to Calhoun mostly because Kole's limited tools were immediately transferable to game time production. Hermosillo has more upside than I think we are giving him credit for. That pull power alone would result in 10 HR's a year, but he has so much pop in his bat to straight away CF and the oppo gap. It's line drive over the outfielder's head type of power, very similar to what I saw from Trout when he was 19. As Michael continues to mature and get stronger, that dead center and oppo power will turn to HR's. 

I think he'll hit 15-20 HR's, swipe 20 bags a year and get on base 35% of the time with very good defense.

I think Hermosillo will compare to Adam Eaton. I know that's not upside, abdvit isn't star caliber, but I think Hermosillo will eventually be on par or better than Calhoun.

I' wasn't comping him to Calhoun -- I'm simply pointing out he hasn't had the sort of numerical dominance that Calhoun showed that raised expectations at even BBA.   I only referenced Kole as an example of a guy who wasn't physically impressive or youthful but who did put up the sort of numbers that made people notice him.   

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

damn.  gotta get marsh back on the field.  good to see he's on his way back.  

Putting Jimmy Barnes on my watch list.  Was he injured last year?

Barnes has the body dude..   He's one you dream on just because physically it's all there.  

Adam Eaton is a better player than Kole Calhoun. If Herm becomes Eaton, that's great. I'm also getting a bit of a Mike Cameron vibe from what you're saying, Scotty. Another underrated player.

Going on the tier kick, I see the Angels many outfielders in three or so tiers:

Tier A -- Very good prospects with a chance to be true stars: Adell, Jones, Marsh

Tier B -- Probably average or better regulars, could be stars or could be 4th OF/fringe regulars: Hermosillo, Pearson, Vega, Barnes?

Tier C -- Low ceiling/high floor types, probably 4th outfielders or fringe regulars: Sanger, Montgomery, Lund, Todd, Hunter, Puello

Too soon to tell: Deveaux, other international signings

25 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Adam Eaton is a better player than Kole Calhoun. If Herm becomes Eaton, that's great. I'm also getting a bit of a Mike Cameron vibe from what you're saying, Scotty. Another underrated player.

Going on the tier kick, I see the Angels many outfielders in three or so tiers:

Tier A -- Very good prospects with a chance to be true stars: Adell, Jones, Marsh

Tier B -- Probably average or better regulars, could be stars or could be 4th OF/fringe regulars: Hermosillo, Pearson, Vega, Barnes?

Tier C -- Low ceiling/high floor types, probably 4th outfielders or fringe regulars: Sanger, Montgomery, Lund, Todd, Hunter, Puello

Too soon to tell: Deveaux, other international signings

Since this is all about where they project to be, I think you can put Hunter in tier B and Deveaux in tier A.