• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

Eppler loves acquiring guys with one year left on their contract, or guys on one year deals. I think he sees it as a way to have a supply of sellable deadline players should things go south, and to keep the roster flexible. Anyone who is a FA next year could certainly be a target both this deadline and offseason.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

As solid as Brantley has been since 2014 (when healthy), he likely would be a rental because of his age (32 in 2019).  Wouldn't this potentially become another Grienke for Segura type disaster waiting to happen?

Well first of all it is just one possibility and may not be the best one. If Eppler's goal is to bridge to the deadline in 2018 or through all of the season to 2019 for someone internal like Hermosillo then Brantley would be a competitive addition that would make sense to acquire in the off-season. Just depends on the price and what the goal is for the organization.

I'm sure there are other ways to go Brantley was just the one that popped up in my head when I responded to the original message.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Eppler loves acquiring guys with one year left on their contract, or guys on one year deals. I think he sees it as a way to have a supply of sellable deadline players should things go south, and to keep the roster flexible. Anyone who is a FA next year could certainly be a target both this deadline and offseason.

It's different though if said player doesn't require a very good prospect at a needed position to be sent in exchange, like with Segura/Grienke. 

48 minutes ago, John Smith said:

Decent amount of scout heat here in Durham tonight. #Orioles, #Angels, #Cardinals all here checking out #Phillies and #Rays prospects

If this doesn't tell the world we are selling, then I don't know what does. And if it's Rats prospects, you have to ask yourself just what they're looking at acquiring at the deadline. I haven't looked at their roster, but my guess is relief pitching. 

Also, thisdoesn't count for anything, just speculation on my part, but the Nats want further relief depth and Bud Norris spent years in Baltimore so he'd probably be comfortable in DC. There's a lot of off the field experience that can affect a player's performance. He'd probably make a good target for the Nats and they have a pretty solid farm system.

2 hours ago, John Smith said:

Decent amount of scout heat here in Durham tonight. #Orioles, #Angels, #Cardinals all here checking out #Phillies and #Rays prospects

The weird thing is why are we scouting Phillies prospects (unless that was a catch-all comment by Kyle). Maybe a three-way trade where we send a reliever to the Rays, they send something to Philly and they send something to us possibly. Or no relation at all.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

The weird thing is why are we scouting Phillies prospects (unless that was a catch-all comment by Kyle). Maybe a three-way trade where we send a reliever to the Rays, they send something to Philly and they send something to us possibly. Or no relation at all.

All I could think of is that perhaps we are talking to the Phils about Cesar Hernandez, and their asking price remains high, so we are looking at prospects they would include in the deal.

If I remember correctly, the speculation last winter was Skaggs for Hernandez.

33 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

All I could think of is that perhaps we are talking to the Phils about Cesar Hernandez, and their asking price remains high, so we are looking at prospects they would include in the deal.

If I remember correctly, the speculation last winter was Skaggs for Hernandez.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that idea (Skaggs/Hernandez). On one hand when you look at the long term financials the Angels will have to trade a rotation piece at some point in the next two years to save salary probably. Additionally with Skaggs' injury history he does have an elevated risk in my mind. However I think his stuff is top of the rotation if it is working right and we just haven't fully seen it yet and based on some previous research I did long ago he has one of the nastiest curve balls out there. I really would like to see what he can do with more time and health.

I think Skaggs is worth more than Hernandez in terms of talent (not much but a noticeable difference IMHO).

1 hour ago, ettin said:

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that idea (Skaggs/Hernandez). On one hand when you look at the long term financials the Angels will have to trade a rotation piece at some point in the next two years to save salary probably. Additionally with Skaggs' injury history he does have an elevated risk in my mind. However I think his stuff is top of the rotation if it is working right and we just haven't fully seen it yet and based on some previous research I did long ago he has one of the nastiest curve balls out there. I really would like to see what he can do with more time and health.

I think Skaggs is worth more than Hernandez in terms of talent (not much but a noticeable difference IMHO).

Different circumstances but similar to Meyer. Top of the rotation stuff. We saw it as a prospect. Then the D-Backs messed with him, but he continued to resemble his former self more and more before the onslaught of injuries struck.

Once he's healthy and stays healthy, I think it'll only be a year or two before he makes good on that potential.

And yeah, I think his upside makes him worth slightly more than Hernandez, which could explain the prospect scouting.

12 hours ago, John Smith said:

Rays prospects make a lot of sense. They're actively seeking pen help, and we have a lot of it. Their need is ramped up after the Yankees landing Robertson and Kahnle. I imagine they just happened to be playing the Phillies AAA team.

2B Willy Adames (#1), OF/1B Jake Bauers (#4), 1B Casey Gillaspie (#5), and RHP Ryne Stanek (#16) were the Rays top prospects that played yesterday. 

Bauers is intriguing but he is only 21 years old. I don't see the Rays parting with him for relief help. Same with Adames. 

Gillaspie is a possibility since he's struggling quite a bit at AAA and is already 24. He also looks like the love child of Lackey and Cron so there would be plenty of lolz to be had. 

Jose Alvarado isn't a ranked prospect, but he also pitched Durham and he seems like an Eppler-type arm.

I agree that Bauers and Adames aren't likely the targets, unless someone like Bedrosian was in play.

Rays are interesting. They're a club that could still use some depth at LF, CIF, C, and RP - and while it's unlikely, they could still sell a major arm like pending FA Cobb for some much-needed prospects and fill SP from within with Honeywell.

If they were to theoretically deal away a good SP and get a good OF prospect back in a package, something like a JC Ramirez and RP for a top prospect like Bauers and Alvarado could make some sense. It'd depend dramatically on how the Angels view Ramirez going forward and if they see Bauers as a legit talent.