• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

So -- it's not that he's potentially good..  it's that the competition sucks..   right?  (poking fun at his critics not you)

I'm gonna go with the Cuban logic here.  Adell is black, and as we saw with Chevy Clarke and Ryan Bolden, black players just don't pan out. So we should trade him for someone with a more proven ethnicity.  I feel like Pacific Islanders have a pretty solid reputation. 

Sunday, July 16th:
Salt Lake (50-44) lost 11-14 to Sacramento (38-55)
Carlos Perez (hitting 2nd): 3-5, 2 2B, 1 RBI, now hitting .397/.470/.564/1.034 in 156 AAA at-bats and hitting .486 in his last ten games.
Cesar Puello: 4-6, 3 R, he's now hitting .524 (22 for 43) in his last 10 games. Since joining Salt Lake, he's hitting .402/.452/.644/1.096 in 132 at-bats.
David Fletcher (second game at AAA) playing 2B: 3-4, 3 RBI
Osmer Morales has seemingly been bumped up to AAA. His first start: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 ER< 2 HR, 3 BB, 5 K
Manny Banuelos, Mike Morin, and Damien Magnifico got torched, surrendering 11 runs in 4 innings on 16 hits.

Mobile (42-50) won 6-0 over Tennessee (50-43)
Grayson Long: 6 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 7 K. ERA down to 2.76 over 16 GS in AA. 
Since jumping up to AA, he has 84.2 IP, 69 H, 26 ER, 6 HR, 23 BB, 79 K, a 2.76 ERA, .224 BAA, and 1.09 WHIP.
Michael Hermosillo: 1-4, SB (18)
Matt Thaiss: 1-4, 2 K
Wade Wass: 2-3, 1 BB, 2 SB (9)
Jose Rojas (second AA game): 1-3, HR (1), 3 RBI
Tim Arakawa: 1-4, HR (4)
Connor Lillis-White: 3 IP, 1 BB, 3 K could be entering the big-league depth chart soon.
6'4", 220, 24 years old, his 2017 split between A+/AA: 48 IP, 26 H, 17 ER, 6 HR, 23 BB, 27 K, a .160 BAA(!!!) and 1.02 WHIP

Inland Empire (45-49) won 8-5 over Modesto (53-41)
Brennon Lund: 3-6, 2 R, 2B, 2 RBI, SB
Troy Montgomery: 1-4  2 BB, his A+ line is a very solid .282/.348/.443/.791 now after a terrible start.
Taylor Ward: 1-3, R, RBI, 3 BB - he's drawing his share of walks at least. 33 BB to 42 K, .240 BA, .345 OBP
Jordan Zimmerman: 2-5, RBI, R, BB

Burlington (41-52) won 7-6 over Lake County (38-54)
Jahmai Jones: 1-3, 2 BB, SB (18)
Erik Manoah: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 2 K - now down to a 3.70 ERA on the year (15 GS, .231 BAA, 1.38 WHIP)

Orem (19-7) won 5-1 over Billings (14-13)
Keinner Pina: 1-2, 2 BB, R
Torii Hunter: 2-4, SB (2)

AZL Angels (11-7) won 5-2 over AZL D-backs (8-10)
Jacob Pearson: 1-3, R, 2B, 2 RBI
Jordon Adell: 2-3, 2 HR (3), 3 RBI, BB - .448/.484/.862/1.346 to start his Angel career
Nonie Williams: 2-4, 2 SB (5)
Jerryell Rivera: 1 IP, 1 K

11 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Jo Adell is 2-3 with 2 HR's so far on the night. 

Time to send him to Burlington. Ridiculous.

I wonder if he might suffer from Jahmai Jones Syndrome-- where, because of his background, people assume he's "raw" long after he's demonstrated that he's anything but. I remember raging when I read a Jones scouting report somewhere, sometime near the end of last season that talked about how raw he was. I think it's just scouts assuming people who used to play other sports are, by definition, raw. 

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Dark horse rotation candidate.

Yeah at this point it looks like he's certainly on the '18 rotation depth chart. 

We have a boatload of depth for our '18 rotation. It's kind of ridiculous, even with all of our health issues. It's pretty important Skaggs, Shoemaker, Heaney, Richards, and even Tropeano to get back on the mound during August/September on a regular basis just to help make sense of where everyone stands. With Bridwell, Meyer, Ramirez, Barria, Long, Scribner, Banuelos, Wright, Pounders, Smith we have a ton of 2018 SPs at this time.

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yeah at this point it looks like he's certainly on the '18 rotation depth chart. 

We have a boatload of depth for our '18 rotation. It's kind of ridiculous, even with all of our health issues. It's pretty important Skaggs, Shoemaker, Heaney, Richards, and even Tropeano to get back on the mound during August/September on a regular basis just to help make sense of where everyone stands. With Bridwell, Meyer, Ramirez, Barria, Long, Scribner, Banuelos, Wright, Pounders, Smith we have a ton of 2018 SPs at this time.

Yeah, this is why I think we shouldn't sign any FA starting pitchers. 

I would rather the team bulk up on offense. 3B/2B, LF and 1B. I'd like Cowart to compete with Fletcher for the 2B spot. 

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah, this is why I think we shouldn't sign any FA starting pitchers. 

I would rather the team bulk up on offense. 3B/2B, LF and 1B. I'd like Cowart to compete with Fletcher for the 2B spot. 

I still think one very durable inning-eater should be a priority - precisely zero of all that '18 depth has made it through a full season in either of the last two years. That's a lot to ask, even with the number of arms. I think we will see a trade from that bunch too.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Offense is priority #1 (preferably corner INF since having plenty of OF prospects), and then one durable mid-rotation starter. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we go "cheap" on another bat as a stopgap. Eppler seems like like guys on expiring contracts to give him some potential sellable trade bait at the deadline. It hasn't really worked out yet, but there's been an emphasis on that type of player. 

We need a leadoff hitter, some power, and an innings eater.

1 hour ago, John Smith said:

Adam Hofacket promoted to Triple-A Salt Lake. Troy Montgomery and Jhondaniel Medina join the BayBears. More details: http://atmilb.com/2urSQfm 

I love the aggressive promotions we are seeing from Eppler this year. Maybe we're finally catching up with the rest of baseball! Troy Montgomery was my personal favorite from the last draft and called him my sleeper pick for 2017. Started the season in A Ball, looks like he'll be finishing it in AA.

Just keep challenging these kids. 

Cesar Puello must be wondering what he has to do to get a call-up. Guy needs an audition. Trade Maybin, play Puello.

As for Adell, I really hope he doesn't languish in AZL this year, then they delay him next year and play him at Orem. We need to let this guy advance as fast he can. Send him to Orem now, let him finish the year there, and then start in Burlington next year. Or fuck it, send him to Burlington now and see what he can do.

30 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I love the aggressive promotions we are seeing from Eppler this year. Maybe we're finally catching up with the rest of baseball! Troy Montgomery was my personal favorite from the last draft and called him my sleeper pick for 2017. Started the season in A Ball, looks like he'll be finishing it in AA.

Just keep challenging these kids. 

It's exciting - a lot of players are about a half-season further ahead than I'm used to seeing, and most, almost all, are responding. 

As it stands right now, Salt Lake will actually have a real group of prospects in the wings for the first time in years. It's been minor league FAs and AAAA players for at least three or four seasons.

Fletcher, Thaiss, Hermosillo, Long, Hofacket all should be in AAA at some point next year. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I still think one very durable inning-eater should be a priority - precisely zero of all that '18 depth has made it through a full season in either of the last two years. That's a lot to ask, even with the number of arms. I think we will see a trade from that bunch too.

I think between Richards, Heaney, Shoe, Skaggs, Tropeano, Meyer, Bridwell, Ramirez, Long, Barria and Canning, we'll be able to cover any innings we need covered. In fact, I'd advise against signing any starting pitcher for fear that we'll end up blocking a cheaper, more worthwhile arm.

If Canning, Barria or Long are ready (Long might be ready right now), I think we need to open a spot for them (unless our back end starters are pitching their asses off, not like Nolasco and Chavez.

Our lineup, we're losing Escobar and his .300 average, and potentially Maybin at leadoff. So between 2B, 3B and LF, I think Eppler's going to focus on acquiring a lead off hitter, middle of the order bat, and at all three spots, an elite defender.  If you want to protect your pitchers, you prevent runs from being scored.

Cowart is the obvious successor at 3B with Valbuena as insurance. Defense like that makes up for uncertainties offensively. I could see JD Martinez in LF and trading for Dee Gordon at 2B. 

Gordon, Calhoun, Trout, Martinez, Pujols, Simmons...

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Cesar Puello must be wondering what he has to do to get a call-up. Guy needs an audition. Trade Maybin, play Puello.

As for Adell, I really hope he doesn't languish in AZL this year, then they delay him next year and play him at Orem. We need to let this guy advance as fast he can. Send him to Orem now, let him finish the year there, and then start in Burlington next year. Or fuck it, send him to Burlington now and see what he can do.

Agree on both fronts. 

2 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think between Richards, Heaney, Shoe, Skaggs, Tropeano, Meyer, Bridwell, Ramirez, Long, Barria and Canning, we'll be able to cover any innings we need covered. In fact, I'd advise against signing any starting pitcher for fear that we'll end up blocking a cheaper, more worthwhile arm.

If Canning, Barria or Long are ready (Long might be ready right now), I think we need to open a spot for them (unless our back end starters are pitching their asses off, not like Nolasco and Chavez.

Our lineup, we're losing Escobar and his .300 average, and potentially Maybin at leadoff. So between 2B, 3B and LF, I think Eppler's going to focus on acquiring a lead off hitter, middle of the order bat, and at all three spots, an elite defender.  If you want to protect your pitchers, you prevent runs from being scored.

Cowart is the obvious successor at 3B with Valbuena as insurance. Defense like that makes up for uncertainties offensively. I could see JD Martinez in LF and trading for Dee Gordon at 2B. 

Gordon, Calhoun, Trout, Martinez, Pujols, Simmons...

If at least three of the injured arms can make it back onto the mound by September I'll change my tune. It'd be beyond the pale to assume all of those guys won't be healthy again but the thought of a 2018 rotation being made up entirely of injury rebounds makes me nervous. I don't think they need to break the bank, but until I see some on the mound again, I still think we need one FA SP. Could even be another 1-yr Nolasco/Chavez type that can be dealt or dumped early on when it becomes clear the arms are healthy. 

Offensively, I think you're right on target. We need one leadoff hitter, a power source, and some plus defense, spread across any of those positions.

It pains me, but if this team was to go on a major losing streak, right now be the time. Sell the expiring vets and play all these kids for two months and see where we're at for next year.

Respectfully to many of you discussing the promotion of prospects with no Major League experience you are adding a lot of risk to total team performance by doing so. Sure they may succeed but they may also dramatically fail and sink our season if we have some combination of Puello, Hermosillo, Cowart, Fletcher, Barria, Long, Diaz, Hofacket, et al.

This is why teams at the deadline almost always trade for veteran players because they know that they are more likely to get a steady, reliable performance out of them rather than the wide variance with prospects.

I could see Eppler utilizing one or two prospects in 2018  but we have to add more reliability and raise our floor.

1 minute ago, ettin said:

Respectfully to many of you discussing the promotion of prospects with no Major League experience you are adding a lot of risk to total team performance by doing so. Sure they may succeed but they may also dramatically fail and sink our season if we have some combination of Puello, Hermosillo, Cowart, Fletcher, Barria, Long, Diaz, Hofacket, et al.

This is why teams at the deadline almost always trade for veteran players because they know that they are more likely to get a steady, reliable performance out of them rather than the wide variance with prospects.

I could see Eppler utilizing one or two prospects in 2018  but we have to add more reliability and raise our floor.

It can create a lot of 40-man/option roster jams too.