• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Any idea how hard he throws? Obviously his build isn't typical of a starter, but that doesn't mean he can't be successful. I was just surprised because 19 seems to be very young for a pitcher to be at A ball unless they're legit as fuck. 

I'll defer to the guys like @Scotty@AW@Brent Maguire, and other folks more seasoned on the prospects. Haven't really watched or seen anything about Suarez, but the stats show quite a bit of promise to me.

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Any idea how hard he throws? Obviously his build isn't typical of a starter, but that doesn't mean he can't be successful. I was just surprised because 19 seems to be very young for a pitcher to be at A ball unless they're legit as fuck. 

Totally no implication of a comp here, except to say that Pedro was slight of build too at 5-11 and 170.

7 of his earned runs allowed came in a start where he pitched 0.1 innings and also gave up 7h.  Otherwise, his era is 3.00 with 39k in 30ip, 9bb, and 24h.   

He's actually the youngest kid on the team by almost 1/2 a year.  He's younger than all but two players on the Orem Roster (Elvin and Chris Rodriguez.  no relations).  He's essentially the same age as most of the high school kids we drafted last year.  

I think the age of some of these kids often get overlooked.  Being 20 in Orem is way different than being 19 in full season A ball.  Doesn't seem like much on paper, but it is.  Especially for an international signing.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

7 of his earned runs allowed came in a start where he pitched 0.1 innings and also gave up 7h.  Otherwise, his era is 3.00 with 39k in 30ip, 9bb, and 24h.   

He's actually the youngest kid on the team by almost 1/2 a year.  He's younger than all but two players on the Orem Roster (Elvin and Chris Rodriguez.  no relations).  He's essentially the same age as most of the high school kids we drafted last year.  

I think the age of some of these kids often get overlooked.  Being 20 in Orem is way different than being 19 in full season A ball.  Doesn't seem like much on paper, but it is.  Especially for an international signing.  

The difference isn't necessarily the age as much as the amount of development. The difference between a 24 year old and a 26 year old in AAA is minuscule. But the difference between a 19 year old in A Ball and a 21 year old in A Ball can be massive because of the amount a prospect advances in their ability in those two years. But so much of that depends on where they're coming from too. 

For example, the difference between a 22 year from college in Advanced A Ball and a 20 year old in Advanced A. That 22 year old is probably just getting his reps before being in the majors next year. That 20 year old is probably still fighting his command, developing his off speed pitches and repeating his mechanics as well as getting stretched out. 

For those of you that are wondering (myself, Doc, and a couple others), I was able to get in touch and find a scouting report on Sean Isaac.  For those of you that don't know Isaac, he's an undrafted free agent that has tossed 45 innings between A Ball and AAA this year, striking out 59! hitters, with an overall ERA of 1.20! and a WHIP at 1.13.  

Isaac sits 90-91 on the radar gun and his go to pitch is a splitter that could rival Shoemaker's.  He hasn't been able to develop a change up or breaking ball good enough to be a go-to pitch yet, which is why he's staying in relief.  He has a standard over the top delivery, low effort.  This is his first time working in relief. 

7 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

For those of you that are wondering (myself, Doc, and a couple others), I was able to get in touch and find a scouting report on Sean Isaac.  For those of you that don't know Isaac, he's an undrafted free agent that has tossed 45 innings between A Ball and AAA this year, striking out 59! hitters, with an overall ERA of 1.20! and a WHIP at 1.13.  

Isaac sits 90-91 on the radar gun and his go to pitch is a splitter that could rival Shoemaker's.  He hasn't been able to develop a change up or breaking ball good enough to be a go-to pitch yet, which is why he's staying in relief.  He has a standard over the top delivery, low effort.  This is his first time working in relief. 

he's still gonna need an off speed pitch.  Parker turned a corner when he got one he could throw for strikes.  It's good to see he's been successful, but honestly kinda bummed with that repertoire.  Gonna be a tough go to get that to translate.  The good news for Isaac is that I think I said similar things about Barria.  And I thought Bedrosian would be a bust.  And Ettin told me about Parker's skills and I didn't believe him.  And I was excited about Morin when he first came up.  And I thought Michael Kohn was the man.  Michael friggn Kohn.  

Predicting who is going to be good at baseball is like trying to predict who is going to win a golf tournament from week to week.  

Matt Thaiss.  2-4.  Single to CF.  FO to CF.  Ground out to 2b.  Infield hit to 2b.  Sac fly.  

Puello 2-4, double.  

Herm 2-4, bb

Zach Houchins AA- hit is 7th hr.  28bb in 308 ab.  24yo with good power.  Plays a capable 3b.  One of those guys who plugs away and still has some breakout potential as a 25/26yo.

Lund A+ 3-5.  

Montgomery A+ 2-5, double 

Greg Belton - don't know what he throws.  Mediocre in A ball as a 24yo reliever but got moved up and has done well in small sample.  Misses bats.  

GAtto - 5ip, 1er 2k tonight.  3.87 era with a fair amount of smoke.  Still waiting for the reliever conversion.  

Jam Jones 1-4, hr (7)

Jonah Todd - 2-4, double, bb.  22bb/9k.  0hr.  still needs a promotion.  

Torii jr.  1-3.  

56 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he's still gonna need an off speed pitch.  Parker turned a corner when he got one he could throw for strikes.  It's good to see he's been successful, but honestly kinda bummed with that repertoire.  Gonna be a tough go to get that to translate.  The good news for Isaac is that I think I said similar things about Barria.  And I thought Bedrosian would be a bust.  And Ettin told me about Parker's skills and I didn't believe him.  And I was excited about Morin when he first came up.  And I thought Michael Kohn was the man.  Michael friggn Kohn.  

Predicting who is going to be good at baseball is like trying to predict who is going to win a golf tournament from week to week.  

Sometimes, you only need one pitch, if it's good enough.

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I thought he was going to be really good too Doc. That's why I like reading the board though because some of you guys spot some of our prospects/players before others really see their potential and when they do turn a corner it isn't as big a surprise for all of us because we've had our ear to the floor on them longer than the rest of the baseball community. Unfortunately the opposite is true when they don't quite pan out. Real shame about Kohn and his fastball it had so much potential.

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've said a few times in the last few weeks and I'll say it again, but I can't believe how many interesting prospects this organization has.

AJ its one thing that most of us find ourselves thinking that -- but what really sends it home is that you have people at BBA, BP, and Fangraphs making similar comments...   As difficult a season as this has been at the MLB level, seeing whats happening farm wise makes it a lot less painful.

Last year there wasn't all that much prospect talk on the board. A little post draft buzz but not the daily updates and discussion that has gone on this year.

If the organization can keep on this trajectory, we may have an influx of kids pushing the one year stop gaps off the bench and making some noise in 2019. 

That will be a good day when the average age of the team drops down to 27.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

AJ its one thing that most of us find ourselves thinking that -- but what really sends it home is that you have people at BBA, BP, and Fangraphs making similar comments...   As difficult a season as this has been at the MLB level, seeing whats happening farm wise makes it a lot less painful.

Exactly, although I haven't seen much except that one Fangraphs comment.

Usually I try to find the balance between, on one hand, folks like @Scotty@AW and @Brent Maguire, who are both far more knowledgeable than I about prospects and scouting and pay attention to the Angels farm far more closely than BA et al, but are also inherently more biased than BA etc, and on the other hand, BA and other "asshole publications" (to quote @Chuckster70), who may be more objective but also don't follow the org as closely. Scotty has been saying the farm is deeper than people think for a year or two now and, to be honest, I didn't really buy it. I do think he was being a bit too rosy, but that he was partially correct and the last two drafts have really fulfilled his perspective.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Exactly, although I haven't seen much except that one Fangraphs comment.

Usually I try to find the balance between, on one hand, folks like @Scotty@AW and @Brent Maguire, who are both far more knowledgeable than I about prospects and scouting and pay attention to the Angels farm far more closely than BA et al, but are also inherently more biased than BA etc, and on the other hand, BA and other "asshole publications" (to quote @Chuckster70), who may be more objective but also don't follow the org as closely. Scotty has been saying the farm is deeper than people think for a year or two now and, to be honest, I didn't really buy it. I do think he was being a bit too rosy, but that he was partially correct and the last two drafts have really fulfilled his perspective.

I think where I am being misunderstood here, is that I felt the farm was deeper, but lacked upside talent. We have a lot of fringe major leaguers on the farm. That couple drafts have restocked the farm with some upside.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

David Fletcher has been promoted to AAA. Jose Rojas promoted to AA.

I swear they're reading my articles ;) Both are good moves. Rojas has the sort of bat that you just keep challenging until he stops hitting. When you're drafted in the 36th round there are no expectations.

And Fletcher has answered every question minor league ball has, except one.  Will he be a starting 2B in the majors or will he be a utility infielder?