• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Somehow this thread had a slightly gay detour.

Speaking of gay, I'm starting to become gay for Jahmai. I'm loving what I'm seeing. If he keeps hitting this way for the rest of the year, he's got to be considered a top 50 prospect.

I like how Jonah Todd is coming along. I got a kind of Calhoun sleeper vibe from him, although more of a walk/speed guy. 

Did you know that baseball has it's own hook up app that is also called Grinder? However instead of swiping left/right it uses a more aged colloquialism "Turn the page".

@Glen told me if you need to know more. :dancing-with-joy-smiley-emoticon:

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Somehow this thread had a slightly gay detour.

Speaking of gay, I'm starting to become gay for Jahmai. I'm loving what I'm seeing. If he keeps hitting this way for the rest of the year, he's got to be considered a top 50 prospect.

I like how Jonah Todd is coming along. I got a kind of Calhoun sleeper vibe from him, although more of a walk/speed guy. 

You'd be surprised how resistant the major public actions are to speak highly of any Angel. Jahmai should have been top 75 last year, he didn't even break top 100. This year, we should have Adell and Jones, and there's a chance neither will be on it. If Marsh was healthy, him too.

16 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

You'd be surprised how resistant the major public actions are to speak highly of any Angel. Jahmai should have been top 75 last year, he didn't even break top 100. This year, we should have Adell and Jones, and there's a chance neither will be on it. If Marsh was healthy, him too.

They're always a year or two behind on org's that are down or don't have enough 'headline' type prospects. 
It's like trusting ESPN or USA Today as the authority on trade rumors. They're good to read for the full spectrum but always a day behind and overly simplistic.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I believe if Jones finishes strong in the Cal League that BA will place him in the top 100 list. 

Also, does anyone know why Adell has only DH'd in all of his games thus far?

I was told he was nursing a non-serious quad injury before signing, but I think if that were still the case he wouldn't be playing at all.

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I believe if Jones finishes strong in the Cal League that BA will place him in the top 100 list. 

Also, does anyone know why Adell has only DH'd in all of his games thus far?

I kind of always just assumed - because we see it with top prospects a lot early in their careers - that they're more worried on offensive aspects and are trying to have them put their time and efforts there first. For the most part, these guys are young and athletic enough to make up for any green-ness defensively. Figured that's why you often see players break into the majors still a little rough with the glove, before growing into something better after a few seasons.

On 7/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, tdawg87 said:

Thaiss is sucking ass right now.

I've never understood Thaiss's appeal. He doesn't hit for nearly enough power or average to be major leaguer starter at a premium position. Reminds me of Kotchman stat-wise. Thaiss is such a stereotypical DiPoto player (high floor, low ceiling college bat) that I find it hard to believe he was drafted under Eppler's tenure. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I've never understood Thaiss's appeal. He doesn't hit for nearly enough power or average to be major leaguer starter at a premium position. Reminds me of Kotchman stat-wise. Thaiss is such a stereotypical DiPoto player (high floor, low ceiling college bat) that I find it hard to believe he was drafted under Eppler's tenure. 

Sadly, I find this a little insulting to Kotchman. 

That being said, it's impossible to evaluate if a pick is good solely based on talent. Signing $ is also extremely important. If signing a low ceiling first rounder allows you to sign an extra 3-4 high ceiling guys during the rest of the draft then it's a good strategy. It's like reviewing a chess game after only the first move or a Game of Thrones episode individually without seeing how it sets up the rest of the game or the season.

3 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Sadly, I find this a little insulting to Kotchman. 

That being said, it's impossible to evaluate if a pick is good solely based on talent. Signing $ is also extremely important. If signing a low ceiling first rounder allows you to sign an extra 3-4 high ceiling guys during the rest of the draft then it's a good strategy. It's like reviewing a chess game after only the first move or a Game of Thrones episode individually without seeing how it sets up the rest of the game or the season.

This is true. The Angels had some great picks after Thaiss in Marsh, Williams, Rodriguez, Duensing, not to mention some picks that could be something down the road in Zimmerman, Lund, Montgomery & Gibbons. 

Keep in mind that only about one year ago, Thaiss was still playing college ball, and he's already in AA, holding his own.

He's played virtually one full season now in pro ball, 163 games, and he's slashing .277/.356/.417/.773 with 180 hits, 92 runs, 33 doubles, 14 homers, 8 triples, 95 RBIs, and 70 walks to 108 strikeouts. All while playing a new position.

He may not be the most exciting prospect but his ability to climb the system quickly while exhibiting good patience, contact, and power potential and be almost MLB-ready already offsets that need for prospect sexiness.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Keep in mind that only about one year ago, Thaiss was still playing college ball, and he's already in AA, holding his own.

Also keep in mind Casey Kotchman made his MLB debut at 21 while also posting a .965 OPS between AA and AAA. 

This isn't too diminish Thaiss, but Kotchman was a tremendous prospect. I think MT can be a productive player but I think his ceiling is a Kole Calhoun type hitter from 1B while Kotchman had Todd Helton like potential.

I can't see the Kotchman comparisons. Kotch was a brilliant fielder and supposed to be a hitting machine. 

Thaiss was never projected to be that. I think people are simply looking at what Kotchman became and seeing that as a Thaiss comp, but the two weren't ever on the same page as a prospect.

25 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I can't see the Kotchman comparisons. Kotch was a brilliant fielder and supposed to be a hitting machine. 

Thaiss was never projected to be that. I think people are simply looking at what Kotchman became and seeing that as a Thaiss comp, but the two weren't ever on the same page as a prospect.

I think it's just because they both lack the HR pop for a prototypical top 1B prospect while still considered "solid" offensive players. It's a fine comparison in that respect. But I think Kotchman had a much superior hit tool, ability to take a walk, and was better with the glove.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I think it's just because they both lack the HR pop for a prototypical top 1B prospect while still considered "solid" offensive players. It's a fine comparison in that respect. But I think Kotchman had a much superior hit tool, ability to take a walk, and was better with the glove.

That's where I'm getting the Kotchman comparisons; I see Thaiss as a guy who maybe hits 15 hrs and bats .270 over a full MLB season, without the other tools that Kotchman had. Pretty meh. I agree that we should look to trade him while he's still a top 5 in our system and hasn't been overtaken by the younger guys. 

Thaiss is a pretty good defender. Not quite at Kotchman's level, but still above average.

Honestly you have to take minor league production with a heaping mound of salt. Guys routinely kill it right up until they reach the bigs, then completely shit the bed. There's also plenty of players who never really wow'd as prospects but turn into solid MLB regulars. Thaiss is still a pretty good prospect to have, especially when we're so weak at 1B right now.

The lack of power is certainly concerning, but Trout never hit for power in the minors either.