• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2017 Minor League Statlines & Prospects thread

38 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

A few random thoughts:

*Brandon Marsh needs to be promoted. I know he's only played 11 games in Orem, but he's clearly on a different level and should be in A ball. Let him play a solid chunk of time there this year, and give him a chance to start 2018 in A+.

*Ditto Jordon Adell. The AZL is too easy for him - send him to Orem so he can get a full season in next year, starting in A ball, rather than staying in short season for another year.

*Jahmai Jones all of a sudden has a chance of starting 2018 in AA, or at least he almost certainly will reach AA by midseason. I think we have to start thinking of his major league ETA as being sometime in 2019.

With Jo Adell, I honestly wouldn't bother with Orem. Elite talent from the first round doesn't spend more than a couple months in rookie ball. Talent like that spends their age 19 season in full season A Ball. 

If a player of Adell's caliber isn't in full season ball next year, it's either because they were too raw in rookie ball or the organization is just being stupidly conservative.

Seeing Adell is hands down the best player on his team and putting the numbers to match it, he wouldn't be kept in Orem next year. And seeing as the Angels have suddenly become an aggressive promoter under Eppler, I don't see them being conservative with just one player.

So it just wouldn't be logical for Adell to be in Orem.

If they do promote Adell (as they should, they did it with Trout and Grichuk out of high school - different regime), I think you'll see Adell finish the season in Burlington.

I don't think a promotion will happen this season though. They've kept him at DH to really control the environment and keep him healthy and I don't see them doing that in A Ball. 

Thry should promote him, but they won't.

24 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

A few random thoughts:

*Brandon Marsh needs to be promoted. I know he's only played 11 games in Orem, but he's clearly on a different level and should be in A ball. Let him play a solid chunk of time there this year, and give him a chance to start 2018 in A+.

*Ditto Jordon Adell. The AZL is too easy for him - send him to Orem so he can get a full season in next year, starting in A ball, rather than staying in short season for another year.

*Jahmai Jones all of a sudden has a chance of starting 2018 in AA, or at least he almost certainly will reach AA by midseason. I think we have to start thinking of his major league ETA as being sometime in 2019.

Agree, Agree, Agree.  

the Burlington Bees and Owlz have about 35 games remaining so I think it would be a nice test for both players.  The only oddity is that Adell hasn't played a single game in the field.  That actually makes his performance more impressive in my opinion because of how difficult it must be for a young kid to not play a position.  

Jones hit .178 with a .504 ops through his first 26 games.  From that point to now, not  including tonight, he's hit .313/.385/.476/.861 with 14 steals and 30 xbh in 294 ab.  Over his last 21 games, he's had a .560 slg and a .956 ops with a .330 avg and .352 babip.  The reason I bring up the slugging is that if there is anything that's going to lag in his development, it's going to be his in game power.  This kid can play and I agree that he likely spends most of his 20yo season at AA.  

Marsh is clearly not being challenged.  The most impressive thing about Marsh is his 5 bb in 51 PA.  I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you are hitting .467 during that time, there isn't a ton they're throwing you that doesn't look good yet he's maintained his patience.  On top of that, there isn't much in burlington blocking him right now.  

58 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

A few random thoughts:

Notably Calhoun's contract runs through 2019 with an option for 2020 for exactly this reason (one of Jones, Adell, Hermosillo, Pearson, or Marsh breaking out).

6 hours ago, ettin said:

Notably Calhoun's contract runs through 2019 with an option for 2020 for exactly this reason (one of Jones, Adell, Hermosillo, Pearson, or Marsh breaking out).

I am thinking that there is no way now that Calhoun gets a new deal.

Let him play 2019 here, and then hopefully Jones and Hermosillo join Trout in the OF by 2020, with Marsh and Adell in the wings.

Convert Pearson to INF by then?

Tuesday, August 1st, 2017:
Salt Lake (58-52) won 13-4 over Nashville (51-58)
Eric Young, Jr: 2-6, R, HR (7), 2 RBI
David Fletcher: 0-5, R, K - after a hot start, only 3 for his last 22
Carlos Perez: 3-5, 2 R
Cesar Puello: 3-5, 2 R, 2 RB, 2 RBI, K - first game back from the DL
Rey Navarro: 3-5, 2 R, 2B, 3 RBI - a very reasonable .274/.339/.363/.702 line in 95 games, 63 RBI, 37 BB, only 52 K
Bo Way: 2-5, R, RBI, K - hitting .341 in his last 10 games, 8 game hitting streak.
Andrew Heaney: 5 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, 81 pitches, 60 strikes
Drew Gagnon: 2 IP, BB, 4 K
Quietly putting up a fantastic season:
Nolan Fontana: 2-4, R, 2B, 3 RBI - in 284 ABs, .282/.394/.461/.855, 32 XBH, 53 BB, 68 K

Mobile (49-58) won 3-2 in 13 innings over Mississippi (46-62)
Michael Hermosillo: 1-6, RBI, 3 K
Jose Rojas: 2-6, R, 2B
Big game from...
Taylor Ward: 3-3, 3 BB, 2 R, RBI - in AA (31 ABs) he has a .323/.476/.323/.799 slash, 9 walks to 6 ks. Overall, .252/.367/.382/.749

Inland Empire (51-58) lost 0-14 to Stockton (53-56)
Jahmai Jones: 1-4, 2 K, CS (3), E (3)
Jared Walsh: 1-3, BB, K 
Jack Kruger: 1-3, BB
Brandon Sandoval: 2-3, K
Ryan Clark: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 10 ER, 3 BB, 3 K, 2 HR

Burlington (46-61) won 7-2 over Beloit (54-52)
Jonah Todd: 2-4, 2 R, RBI, BB - between Orem/Burlington (150 AB): .300/.415/.400/.815 - 12 XBH, 30 BB, 26 K
Richard Fecteau: 1-4, 2 R, RBI, BB - across AZL, Orem, and Burlington (138 AB): .297/.359/.449/.809 - 11 XBH, 10 BB, 20 K
Jonah Wesely: 2 IP, BB - overall (A/A+): 45.1 IP, 3.77 ERA, 8.3 H/9, 0.2 HR/9, 3.8 BB/9, 11.9 K/9
Connor Riley: 2 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K - 24 K in 19.1 IP
Keep an eye on...
Julian Leon: 2-5, R, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K - 21 years old, catcher - in 95 AB at Burlington: .316/.375/.474/.849 
Nate Bertness: 5 IP, 2 H, BB, 4 K - Unremarkable for most of his career, but his last 6 starts, 28.1 IP, he has posted 3.18 ERA, 7 H/9, 4.1 BB/9, and 8.9 K/9. He's a 21 year old LH SP, 6'6", 205, from Houston, TX. Never underestimate big arms from Texas.

AZL Angels (17-13) won 4-3 over AZL Diamondbacks (12-18)
Jacob Pearson: 2-4 - hitting .250 in last 10 games (.207 overall)
Jordon Adell: 2-4, R, HR (4), 3 RBI, K
Nonie Williams: 2-4, RBI
Jimmy Barnes: 1-4, 2B, K
Wilkel Hernandez: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4 K
Luke Lind: 1 IP, H, 2 K - in 13.2 IP, 1.98 ERA, .224 BAA, 0.88 WHIP, 15.1 K/9 (23 K)
Someone to watch:
Caleb Scires: 1-4, 3B, K - 17th Round pick, 18 years old, L/L 6'0", 195, OF from TX: slashing .292/.357/.500/.857 in 9 games

DSL Angels (23-26) lost 4-5 in 10 innings to the DSL Yankees (21-29)
Jose Quezada SS: 3-4, 2 R, 2B, BB, K
Tulio Santa Maria: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K
Kiber Arvelaez: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, BB, 2 K 

I hate to say it but I think we have to hope Calhoun has a bounce-back season next year mostly so he can be traded. I love Kole, but his future as an Angel is limited to 1-2 more years.

Right now I'm thinking Hermosillo is probably better viewed as a nice stop-gap as Jones, Adell, and Marsh come up, but won't be a starter for more than a year or two at most, and then either a 4th outfielder or traded.

I know I'm probably overly optimistic, but the Terrific Trio (Adell, Jones, Marsh) all seem like future stars - not just solid major league regulars, or even above average regulars, but bonafide stars - and Adell possibly a superstar. If Trout gets extended, one of them will eventually be traded and should net a nice return. Jones is really coming along nicely after that first month, but maybe take a bit to adjust to AA, which in many ways is the biggest jump in the developmental path. Either way, he will be in the majors for good sometime in 2019. I expect Adell and Marsh to be about a year behind. So maybe we have something like this:

2018: Maybin/Flores/Puello/Hermosillo - Trout - Calhoun

2019: Hermosillo/Jones - Trout - Calhoun

2020: Jones - Trout - Marsh/Adell

2021: Jones - Trout - Adell (Marsh traded?)

This, of course, doesn't include a bunch of lesser prospects like Lund, Montgomery and Sanger, not to mention Hunter, Todd, and Pearson. I know a lot of folks complain about an in-house configuration in LF for 2018, but I think it is a good way to save some money and also give an opening to a variety of prospects coming up over the next few years: first the fringe guys like Flores and Puello, and then Hermosillo, Sanger and Lund, until Jones is ready, at which point Kole can be traded and RF becomes the "audition spot." But if Eppler is worried about Flores/Puello/Hermosillo covering LF for a year, he can always offer Maybin a one-year deal, or just give him a qualifying offer.

That way Eppler can focus his resources on improving the infield sans SS.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I hate to say it but I think we have to hope Calhoun has a bounce-back season next year mostly so he can be traded. I love Kole, but his future as an Angel is limited to 1-2 more years.

Right now I'm thinking Hermosillo is probably better viewed as a nice stop-gap as Jones, Adell, and Marsh come up, but won't be a starter for more than a year or two at most, and then either a 4th outfielder or traded.

I know I'm probably overly optimistic, but the Terrific Trio (Adell, Jones, Marsh) all seem like future stars - not just solid major league regulars, or even above average regulars, but bonafide stars - and Adell possibly a superstar. If Trout gets extended, one of them will eventually be traded and should net a nice return. Jones is really coming along nicely after that first month, but maybe take a bit to adjust to AA, which in many ways is the biggest jump in the developmental path. Either way, he will be in the majors for good sometime in 2019. I expect Adell and Marsh to be about a year behind. So maybe we have something like this:

This, of course, doesn't include a bunch of lesser prospects like Lund, Montgomery and Sanger, not to mention Hunter, Todd, and Pearson. I know a lot of folks complain about an in-house configuration in LF for 2018, but I think it is a good way to save some money and also give an opening to a variety of prospects coming up over the next few years: first the fringe guys like Flores and Puello, and then Hermosillo, Sanger and Lund, until Jones is ready, at which point Kole can be traded and RF becomes the "audition spot." But if Eppler is worried about Flores/Puello/Hermosillo covering LF for a year, he can always offer Maybin a one-year deal, or just give him a qualifying offer.

I agree with you that Adell, Jones, and Marsh all seem like they could be regular everyday players in the Majors.

The other solution to 2018 is to go out on the trade market and acquire an OF bat like Michael Brantley in the last year of his contract. You could always sell him at the deadline if we are out of contention (assuming he's healthy of course). Or alternatively you could find an OF in trade who has two years of control left and simply trade him when one of our prospects is ready. There are many options here.

I see little reason why we can't fit all our prospects on the field.

Trout in CF, Jones in LF, Adell in RF, Marsh at DH. 

Also, this won't be the case likely, because Jones has adapted to the OF so well, but he did play 2B until the day he was drafted.

At the end of Calhoun's deal he is the perfect age to just let him walk. He will 31, or 32 if we pick up his option. His defense is a good portion of his value and it has been trending downward over the last couple of years. UZR/DRS 2015: 13.8/6 2016: 6.9/2 2017: 2.3/-1. I wonder if we could see Calhoun moved to first like Erstad late in his Angels career. Not likely with our logjam of underperformers but still an option. 

I also like the idea of Adell and Marsh climbing the ranks together. 

3 hours ago, ettin said:

I agree with you that Adell, Jones, and Marsh all seem like they could be regular everyday players in the Majors.

The other solution to 2018 is to go out on the trade market and acquire an OF bat like Michael Brantley in the last year of his contract. You could always sell him at the deadline if we are out of contention (assuming he's healthy of course). Or alternatively you could find an OF in trade who has two years of control left and simply trade him when one of our prospects is ready. There are many options here.

I know you like the Brantley, which works for me. Also, I actually said that I think those three will be significantly better than average regulars.

2 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

I see little reason why we can't fit all our prospects on the field.

Trout in CF, Jones in LF, Adell in RF, Marsh at DH. 

Also, this won't be the case likely, because Jones has adapted to the OF so well, but he did play 2B until the day he was drafted.

See now why aren't the Angels converting him back to 2B? With their depth in the OF and weakness at 2B, Jones would be such a huge asset there.

I know you like the Brantley, which works for me. Also, I actually said that I think those three will be significantly better than average regulars.

See now why aren't the Angels converting him back to 2B? With their depth in the OF and weakness at 2B, Jones would be such a huge asset there.

Not sure, I know he's turned into a very good defensive outfielder though.

This whole thread is really counting chickens.

Go through any to 100 list and see how many guys in that list have become average regulars (2-3 WAR/season). Any guess on what the percentage is? If I had to guess it's 50% give or take 10%. It's lower for guys not in the to 100. I'm not saying these guys aren't talented but there's so much uncertainty with all 4 of them that it's probably not best to be making MLB decisions based on their potential.

6 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

This whole thread is really counting chickens.

Go through any to 100 list and see how many guys in that list have become average regulars (2-3 WAR/season). Any guess on what the percentage is? If I had to guess it's 50% give or take 10%. It's lower for guys not in the to 100. I'm not saying these guys aren't talented but there's so much uncertainty with all 4 of them that it's probably not best to be making MLB decisions based on their potential.

Saturday Night Live snl saturday night live holiday special GIF

Wednesday, August 2nd, 2017:
Mobile (50-58) won 6-2 vs. Mississippi (46-63)
Troy Montgomery: 3-5, 2 R, K
Zach Gibbons: 2-5, R, 
Zach Houchins: 1-4, RBI
Jose Rojas: 2-4, R, RBI
Abel de los Santos: 2 IP, H, ER, BB, 3 K
Johndaniel Medina: 3 IP, H, BB, 2 K - at Mobile, 10 IP, 3.60 ERA, .211 BAA, 0.90 WHIP, 1 BB, 12 K
Some props to...
Matt Thaiss: 1-1, RBI, 2 BB, SB (2) -
in AA, 79 AB, .304/.394/.342/.735 - he's adjusted to Mobile pretty well. 
in 415 total AB (A+/AA), .272/.361/.388/.749, 28 XBH, 52 walks, 79 strikeouts - power is lacking, still showing signs of a good hitter

Inland Empire (51-59) lost 5-9 to Stockton (54-56)
Brennon Lund: 1-5, 2 K
Jordan Zimmerman: 3-5, 2B
Jack Kruger: 2-5, R, K
Jake Yacinich (back to A+): 2-3, 2 R, BB, K, SB (10)
Keith Grieshaber: 2-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, K
Jose Rodriguez: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 7 ER, 4 BB, 3 K, 2 HR
Blake Smith: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 ER, 4 K, HR - in A/A+: 55.2 IP, 3.23 ERA, .215 BAA, 1.11 WHIP, 18 BB to 48K

Burlington (46-62) lost 3-5 to Quad Cities (61-46)
Jonah Todd: 1-5, RBI, K
Richard Fecteau: 2-3, R, HR (4), RBI, 2 BB - 141 AB between AZL/Orem/Burlington; .305/.373/.475/.849, 12 BB, 20 K
Erik Manoah: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 K

AZL Angels (17-14) lost 10-11 to AZL Diamondbacks (13-18)
Jacob Pearson: 2-3, R, 2 RBI, 2 BB
Jordon Adell: 1-5, 2B, 2 RBI, K
Nonie Williams: 1-5, R, SB (7), E 2 (4)
Johan Sala: 2-5, 2 R, RBI, 2 K, SB (3, home)
Hector Yan: 1.2 IP, ER BB, 2 K - 14.2 IP, 3.07 ERA, .146 BAA, 0.95 WHIP, 7 BB, 18 K
Austin Krzeminski: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 K - 11.1 IP, 1.59 ERA, .262 BAA, 1.06 WHIP, 1 BB, 11 K

DSL Angels (23-27) lost 2-11 to DSL Mets1 (33-18)
Jesus Nunez: 2-3, R, BB
Robinson Pina: 4 IP, 4 H, ER, 5 K - 6'4", 180, RH SP, 18 years old: 36.1 IP, 3.72 ERA, .192 BAA, 1.10 WHIP, 15 BB, 32 K
Christopher Bonilla: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 4 BB, 0 K

18 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

How many young guys can rake as DHs at the MLB level, though?    Does Marsh have the focus to sit on the bench, and still hit well?

I hope Ward and Thaiss develop ANY kind of power in the next couple of years.    The total lack of power is really disconcerting. 

Power is last tool to develop. I'm encouraged that both seem to show a pretty good eye at the plate. Thaiss' contact skills are already pretty solid. Ward may not put the ball in play enough but he's drawing a ton of walks. I'm happy with where both are at for now.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Power is last tool to develop. I'm encouraged that both seem to show a pretty good eye at the plate. Thaiss' contact skills are already pretty solid. Ward may not put the ball in play enough but he's drawing a ton of walks. I'm happy with where both are at for now.

Ward doesn't necessarily need to be as good of a hitter as Thaiss is to contribute at the major league level, so I'll cut him some slack. He's probably the only prospect in our system where I'm really just looking at how he performs defensively. So far in AA, he's looked solid behind the dish, small sample size though.

For Ward, his struggles may be between the ears too. By promoting him, it probably upped his confidence in a big way, and now he realizes his dream of being a major leaguer is one good season away.

10 minutes ago, John Smith said:

@OremOwlz All-Stars INF Leonardo Rivas and RHP Chris Rodriguez (@chrisrod2135) are headed to the @BurlingtonBees.

Good, that poor Burlington team is pretty effin' dull. 
Little surprising - and exciting - for Rodriguez. His performance has been a little uneven but good to see he's getting challenged.

44 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

vDpEmdCL_bigger.jpg

Michael Hermosillo has been promoted to @SaltLakeBees. Outfielder Brennon Lund joins the BayBears. Read more: http://atmilb.com/2u7KRV7 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hermosillo hasn't been setting the world on fire over the last week? I like this promotion for that reason. It's not a results based promotion that is reacting to a hot week. It's a process based promotion showing that MH has "gotten" what he needs from AA.

11 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hermosillo hasn't been setting the world on fire over the last week? I like this promotion for that reason. It's not a results based promotion that is reacting to a hot week. It's a process based promotion showing that MH has "gotten" what he needs from AA.

Pretty solid campaign so far for Hermosillo. 

He started the year in High-A, promoted to Double-A after a month, then to Triple-A with one month left in the season.