• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Weaver in best shape of his life...sort of

Angelsjunky

Prediction: has a average bounce back season throwing 87mph, Athletics sign him & then he has a career year 2.65 ERA with 90 mph fastballs that he locates like maddux. Putting on an athletics cap seems to help pitchers for unknown reasons....Kazmir, Colon, etc

i don't think it was the A's cap helping colon.

This will be a telling year for Weave.  If there is something to be figured out, and he's actually hit upon and addressed it, then he could end up being the difference between an Angel team that wins 85-or-so games and an Angel team that makes the post-season.  He might also figure out a way to pitch effectively into his late 30s, hopefully for the Angels.

Of course, if it turns out that his decline was irreversible and led to 2016 being his final big league season, at least in an Angels' uniform, then he'll still rightly be remembered as a Halo great who fought until the end and who truly wanted to be here.  There are few players I respect as much, and none I respect more.

The velocity has been plummeting for years. I don't see an increase in mobility turning into the miracle cure that gets him back up to a range where he can be effective, which was 87+. My guess is, his velo has bottomed out, and he's just going to need to try and learn to be an effective pitcher throwing in the low 80's.

I think personally, velocity is overrated. Guy that throw 92 are frequently more effective than guys throwing 96. But there's a limit to that argument, and unless you're a knuckleballer, I'm guessing 86-87 is that limit. Weav, nor any other pitcher can't find pronounced success in today's game only throwing 83. Even Maddux had enough in the tank to pump it up over 90 when he found it necessary.

Im not holding my breath, but if theres anyone on this team im willing to give a shot to its weave. Forgetting how good he used to be, hes been a big clubhouse guy for years. He rubs people the wrong way sometimes, but he also brings a throwback attitude that gets people to compete. Thats one thing the guy has, respect from the people here and on all the other teams. Guys know hes a bulldog.

Good luck weave, hoping you finish your career here on a positive note.

Jered has been fighting with his velocity issues for several years. What kind of idiotic training staff do we have that something as simple as stretching goes disregarded.

it's not disregarded.  it's just not all that likely to be a huge difference maker.  Weaver's age, protoplasm and mechanics make it so he's now throwing 83mph.  

here are his average fastball velocities by year

2007 - 90.0

2008 - 90.4

2009 - 88.7

2010 - 90.1

2011 - 89.2

2012 - 88.0

2013 - 86.8

2014 - 86.8

2015 - 84.9

He changed his delivery between 2012 and 2013.  He should go back to the old one now.  

it's not disregarded. it's just not all that likely to be a huge difference maker. Weaver's age, protoplasm and mechanics make it so he's now throwing 83mph.

here are his average fastball velocities by year

2007 - 90.0

2008 - 90.4

2009 - 88.7

2010 - 90.1

2011 - 89.2

2012 - 88.0

2013 - 86.8

2014 - 86.8

2015 - 84.9

He changed his delivery between 2012 and 2013. He should go back to the old one now.

His velocity situation parallels that of his brother Jeff in his career so it's not some newly discovered condition. I just can't believe that after all these years of sports science, medicine, medical staffs and trainers that Jered has now decided that stretching is important. In fact, it's ridiculous.

Sounds like he didn't like to do any kind of stretching

Angels' Jered Weaver is finally at the point where stretching could enhance his career longevity

For the first decade of his professional baseball career, Jered Weaver abhorred stretching. Therefore, he didn't do it. He avoided all but the most cursory forms of it. So what if it hurt his flexibility?