• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justice Antonin Scalia

Tank

An interesting development over the past few days: Apparently the Obama Administration has been vetting Nevada Governor Brian Sandoval to determine his interest in a Supreme Court appointment. Sandoval was a federal judge before resigning his position to run for Governor. Sandoval has the advantages of being relatively young, Hispanic, and Republican. He is moderate enough that Democrats wouldn't be completely turned off by his nomination. Republicans would be put in the position of refusing to vote on one of their own. Sounds like the perfect choice.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Maybe its a bait and switch.

I don't think so. If a switch was pulled, the eventual nominee would still have to get past the Senate. News sources reported that Harry Reid visited Sandoval to find out if he would consider an appointment.

Several times since he has been Governor, Sandoval has gone against his own party for the good of the state. I voted for him twice, and I don't vote for many Republicans. If you're looking for a radical, hard-line right winger Sandoval ain't it, but he doesn't stray very far from most of the things that Republicans hold dear.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I don't think he was ever being actually considered, it was more of a trial balloon to show just how extreme the GOP position. Seeing as they stated they wouldn't even consider someone from their side of the aisle, and probably the most moderate candidate Obama would put up, reinforces that. Moving forward they can't fall back on this nominee is too extreme, that's why we are doing this...when they've already shown that they are willing to forego doing their constitutional responsibility for a moderate candidate.

• 4 years later...
15 hours ago, Lhalo said:

Funny reading @wopphil’s old posts before TDS made him start talking like a fag. 

My comments in this thread are consistent with how I feel now, with the exception that there is now four years of Republican hypocrisy to be considered. In sum, I generally prefer conservative judges. Not because I believe in conservative law, but because I believe legislatures - not judges - should make law. I will most likely be okay with whomever Trump nominates. This will likely be one of the few areas in which I won’t find fault in Trump.

But I will find fault in McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and all the other hypocrites in the party. The process they will employ to get the candidate through will serve as another reminder at how dishonest and dishonorable they all are. 

51 minutes ago, wopphil said:

My comments in this thread are consistent with how I feel now, with the exception that there is now four years of Republican hypocrisy to be considered. In sum, I generally prefer conservative judges. Not because I believe in conservative law, but because I believe legislatures - not judges - should make law. I will most likely be okay with whomever Trump nominates. This will likely be one of the few areas in which I won’t find fault in Trump.

But I will find fault in McConnell, Lindsey Graham, and all the other hypocrites in the party. The process they will employ to get the candidate through will serve as another reminder at how dishonest and dishonorable they all are. 

What process could they possibly use that is dishonest or dishonorable? Trump nominates someone and then they bring it to a vote. It seems to be a straight forward process but political games tend to undermine that 

Edited by Jason

39 minutes ago, Jason said:

What process could they possibly use that is dishonest or dishonorable? Trump nominates someone and then they bring it to a vote. It seems to be a straight forward process but political games tend to undermine that 

Are you not aware of the position McConnell took in 2016? Or Lindsey Graham’s quotes in 2016 and 2018? Does the complete hypocrisy in their positions not bother you? Do you not think it is dishonest to advocate a position when it helps you, then pull a complete 180 to suit your needs at a later time?